• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve in Czech

I've decided that the Wrap is for me!
I've read and explored other options but I would feel more comfortable and have faith in the Wrap.

I've completed and sent off them my medical questionnaire ....eeek!
I've even found suitable flights for the dates I've requested.
Its the dates that will be the sticking point. Because of social events (that hardly ever take place with 2 young kids) I can only opt for the beginning of Oct. So its fingers crossed they can accommodate me.

It may seem like a really quick decision but I've spent the past week reading and exploring options.
If I don't take the plunge now it might never happen and i'll continue to keep getting fatter! Now I've decided i just want it done!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi dont like the idea of having to keep having it tightened , plus the lady I spoke to from Oakview said the surgeon wouldnt consider me for a wrap or band because of my weight. I find that hard to believe! Ive looked over a few threads here and see people at a similar weight to me that have lost on the wrap! but the lady at Oakview said the sleeve would be the better option.
New leaf gave the same advice via an email.

Do you think they could just be wanting me to spend more?
Did you consider anything other than the band?

Thanks x

Maybe its worth you going for a consultation first in UK and see what they say? Most consultations are free.

Nope, i was set on a band from day one - just wanted something less risky and it is reversable etc.

If i had issues now, i would go for a sleeve but it is such a big change - i wanted something less invasive (hopefully it lasts forever, as so far i love it) xxxx

I hear what you're saying about seeing a consultant. I just really want to book the surgery so I know its going to happen but its such a big deal and it has to be right!

I really want the plication (wrap) rather than the sleeve.

You seem to be doing really well considering your surgery was only a month ago, well done hun xx

I know...when i had my heart set on it - i wanted it asap lol.

But pre booked an op and then went to see surgeon and he asked me to move it - i was going on holiday 4 weeks after the original op date and he said he wants me to have it when i got back.

I was really gutted as like i said - i wanted it straight away but time flys and glad i did wait. Its nice knowing u have nothing planned, no events/holidays etc after the op, as ur still getting used to the new you.

Thank you :rolleyes: i really feel amazing - wish i had it done years ago!!

Have they refused the wrap or just advised against it? If they have just advised, what was the reason? To risky or u may not lose enough?

Xxxxxx

It really spurs me on hearing you say you wished you done it years ago, just like when i read all the WL stories.

I contacted a clinic yesterday via email and they replied today saying my BMI was too high at 42 (im 19 stone) to be considered for a wrap and ive spoken to a nice lady from New Being also known as Oak View who also said that she thinks the surgeon would not consider me for a wrap because my BMI is too big. Plus she she has advised me to wait till mid October. We go on holiday mid September and she said about dieting to reduce the size of my liver 2 weeks prior. Did everyone do this? Apparently they blow your tummy up to do the procedure. Maybe not the same for ou with you having the band. xx

Hmmm..if ur really set on a wrap - ask them what ur bmi needs to be??

Yep had to do 2 weeks liver strinking diet and lost 1 stone and was 20st1 originally. Ud likely lose the same so wud bring ur bmi down quite abit :p

I did go for a consultation a yr ago but decided not to have it due to cost but have been saving for a house so ended up taking money from that pot.

It is alot of money but i have already saved a fortune on food lol xxx our takeaways used to cost £20+ now only £10 lol and i do have something small xxxx

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
@Princess Rosie we haven't had any recent members who have had a wrap, it seems to have gone out of favour.

The threads you were reading were probably old ones, like the one yesterday where two of the people posting have had their wrap converted to a sleeve. The reason being, they wanted to lose more weight than they were able to with the wrap.

Please consider why the surgeon would advise one op over another at your BMI. You don't want to be in a position whereby in a couple of years you haven't lost all the weight you want to and have to consider converting?

Point taken Mazza.
I'm now coming round to the idea of a sleeve, might as well go the whole hog after initially wanting the balloon on Sunday o_O

Question:
1) can you still enjoy a drink after everything has settled down post surgery? In particular beer? Im not a massive drinker now but i do enjoy the odd one on the rare occasion we get chance to go out!
2) How bad are the scars?
3) do you get advised about the best exercise to reduce baggy skin?

xx

(bet people are sick of me bombing threads and asking questions - i've given myself a fuzzy head with it all)

You've come along way since Sunday @Princess Rosie and absolutely, its much better to have the right surgery for you and just the one, ideally :D

Ask as many questions as you feel you need to and we'll try an help. So in answer to your questions and this is just my experience:

1) Yes you can still enjoy a drink, although you need to be aware that essentially alcohol is empty calories and there are better choices but if beers your thing and your surgeon says its ok to do so, why not. Some people are advised not to have fizzy drinks post op. I wasn't and do enjoy the odd gin and slimline tonic, with lots of ice which seems to calm down the bubbles.
2) I won't lie, my stomach is covered in scars, some keloid and some nice and neat. After a band insertion, removal and then a sleeve I have quite a selection. Then there's the laproscopy scars around my belly button and my two open surgery scars, straight across the top of my bikini line. I figure they're my tiger stripes though and part of my journey. Do you scar well? I heal too quickly, hence the keloids. For a sleeve op, you can expect to have around five (maybe be more) incisions, one fairly large one, the one they use to lift your liver and the others vary from small to very small. Bio oil is very good to help lesson their apprearance.
3) No exercise will reduce saggy skin, if you already have it that is. But and its a very big but if you do exercise regularly post op, you'll reduce the possibility of getting it if you don't already have it and it'll help with the weight loss too. Do you exercise currently? I do a mixture of strength training (weights) and cardio (spin class).

Mazza I really appreciate your reply.
I've sent a completed questionnair off to Oakview / Beautiful Being. I've seen them mentioned a few times on this forum and I've been looking into them over the last day or 2.

Thanks for your honesty with the scarring. Ive got a nasty looking scar on my arm where i was cut a few years back, it doesn't really bother me. Im lucky that i haven't got stretch marks in that area will be liveable. I want a tattoo and i know what design i want, so maybe after i reach my goal i can treat myself!

Every day since Sunday i've done nothing but research WLS. I'm tired now! So I think I'll wait to hear back from Oakview and take it from there; but i think my mind is made up and it'll be a case of going through the process of booking it.

Thank you again for all your advice
xx

I think most people initially want the least invasive surgery, that's a very natural reaction. I started out wanting just a balloon and no surgery, because I found that scary (and I still hadn't quite accepted that I needed it, at least not on an emotional level). Once I came around to the idea of surgery I was dead set on a band as that seemed like the "lightest" option. I then gradually got used to the idea of a sleeve instead once I admitted the band probably was not for me (felt less drastic than a bypass since you don't rejig the intestines) - but eventually, after several discussion with my surgeon, realised a bypass was actually best suited for me. It's sometimes a process you need to gradually go through, because the idea of what surgery actually entails can be so daunting.

My advice is always to decide with your head rather than your heart. Both the band, the sleeve and the bypass can all work really well - but they work in different ways and while one works great for one person, it might not for another. Like Mazza said - you do not want to be in a position where you end up having to subject yourself to yet another surgery to convert over to a different one. I have been on this forum on and off since 2013 (when I first started researching) and I have seen several people who made a quick decision based on initial instinct rather than what the surgeon advised, and who then ended up not getting the results they were hoping for. My impression (purely based on observation on various forums over the years) is that it is usually people who go private rather than through the NHS who are at higher risk of this, because the time from actual idea ("I want surgery") to action (booking, and having the surgery) can be very short. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone!

What specifically is that makes you so determined on the wrap rather than a sleeve? Is it because you think it will work better for you, or just because you like the idea of it being less invasive? If it is the latter, that is a purely emotional reaction. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having an emotional reaction, or that the wrap is wrong for you - but for a big decision such as this, it can be good to step away for a bit and reassess once you have had more time to process everything.

I'm no expert on the wrap, but it is a relatively new procedure with no long-term studies regarding its efficacy (as far as I'm aware at least), and only limited studies on short-medium term efficacy. This is why it is only very rarely carried out on the NHS.

Good luck with whatever you decide! x

Last edited:
Hi,
I was set on the band initially, but after discussions was told for me the sleeve or bypass was best. I was set on the band as I wanted something revsible and not permanent. I also originally went to discuss the balloon at my first appointment and was told it is not very effective. So I went through a long process of indecision...then I saw the psychiatrist and she said something that really make sense, for years with over eating your stomach has been stretched, all the sleeve is doing is getting rid of that stretched stomach. If you had loose skin and had that taken off you wouldn't be attached to the skin so why the extra piece of stomach. I know it's not as simple as that as it's also a huge life change. But actually the change is just a common sense tool to not overeat.

Just thought I'd let you know so you know it's not just you who goes through this. I have my sleeve next week! I'll let you know how it goes! Xx

hi. I was tagged on your other thread - but it was closed so couldnt reply, and it wouldnt let me pm you.

The wrap worked wonderfully for me. Originally, I'm told I was only the third person the surgeon had done the wrap for in the UK and it was still considered experimental procedure.

I was heavier than you - over 21st and got down to around 14st at my absolute best. They had told me to expect to get to 16st as a guide and then said that I may wish to consider something further if I wished to lose more. Conveniently, I totally forgot about that and only re-discovered it in looking up old emails. The same emails also suggested by-pass for my weight for best long term results or the sleeve

I wanted fast recovery time and did not want the risks. I was really freaked by Scooter's experiences back then with the sleeve.

They still tell me I've had better results than anyone else with the wrap that they've done. I think most of it is in your mind set. I did really well and maintained at that for quite some time.....

about 20 months ago, everything went HORRIBLY wrong. Loads of things happened at the same time and put me in a really bad place. We were in the midst of moving house. Dad lost his leg with DVT and diabetes, my husband changed job and I lost my baby. My gran died. ALL within the space of about 6 weeks. I totally lost the plot and basically had a complete melt down. It's taken me this long to feel I'm ready to start getting on with my life..

Struggling to cope, I started to back to the bad only ways. Regular carbs, sugary stuff, things I shouldn't eat. My weight went up to 16st2. I realised I was very unhappy, contacted the team and kicked my own butt. I took myself for a barium meal to consider a revision / re-plication. Got back on track, lost most of my regain. They couldn't fit me in within the timescale I needed for holidays etc, so in the end I had to get on with it. My surgeon reckoned I had it in me to sort myself out.

Well - basically, it lasted a while, but the depression had me bad. I put the weight back on. At exactly the same weight to the lb and month, I was back in contact with them this year. The long and short of it was and still is that even with regain, I DID reach expected long term target. 16lb 2 was therefore obviously my trigger point where I know I'm going to deal with it.

Still - although my blood sugar is totally normal, we have a high risk family history of dvt and diabetes. I never want my family to have to go through the trauma again of what has happened with dad... so, after a lot of discussion with the team, I've gone for a sleeve.

Having done this in two stages, I have ended up with no excess skin from the plication and hopefully with the sleeve now, I can finish the job. I'm now 12 weeks I think back off bad carbs. No potatoes, no pasta, no rice, no bread and for me, it really needs to stay that way... simply because those are my nemesis and when I dont have any, I really do not miss them. With them, it's impossible to give up.

Yes - I've gone private and my recovery time has been fast. In on the Tuesday, home on the Wednesday (felt like hell !)..... managed a few hours work on the Thursday at home and went back to work in the office on the Friday.

Overall, the plication and the sleeve should have the same results. Much of the results is down to you and IF you abuse / stretch your pouch. The bigger you are, the more stretch you are going to get - so having done this over two stages, I should experience less stretch this time... but I also want to be very very careful so I don't go back the way.

I believe it is EASIER to abuse the plication, but the surgeon told me all the original stitches etc were in place and my scaring from previous op was absolutely minimal. The started off by telling me that bypass was not an option as my weight was not high enough. Band impossible due to plication and same with balloon. Therefore re-plication or sleeve.... but re-plication would have unknown results and the sleeve was suggested.

Choice ? Consider what's right for you. I have no regrets for either... but if the cost is similar, I'd probably opt for the sleeve.

Personally, I wanted the restriction back and to try and get my head sorted once and for all. I never thought I would revisit my original journey, but sometimes life deals unfair blows. This time, I'm going to be mega conscious of keeping to portion control and ruling the bad stuff out.

You are welcome to pm me if I can be of further help.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Thanks for your replies ladies.
Sorry to hear all you bad luck Sarah, what a horrid time for you.

I've decided on the sleeve and i've pre-booked it for October. I mentioned I had an ECG in 2015 and the surgeon now wants the medical report it , which I find reassuring.
I'm booked with Oakview Health who are agents for the clinic in Czech

OMG, I've just paid the deposit. Flights booked. This time next week I'll be in recovery from having the sleeve done.

I've booked through Beautiful Beings. I've read mixed reviews but i'm comfortable with them as an agent. The surgery will be performed at SurGal clinic in Brno, Czech Republic.
I asked the agency if anyone else from the UK was going over the same time as me and if so could they pass my contact details on to them.
Thankfully there's another lady who happens to be on the same flight as me. We've been messaging each other lots. She's also going on her own so we're both really pleased that we've got in touch and built a friendship up before hand.

I've not been advised to do the milk diet, they've said to cut of fatty, spicy foods and fizzy drinks to reduce the size of my liver.

I'm bricking it. I'm excited. I'm worried about not waking up!
But i'm guessing all these reactions are normal and the benefits far out weight the risks of staying fat!

I had my last 'fat' holiday a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the quality time with my family but the lack of nice clothes and the lack of confidence to get in the pool in front of family was depressing!

I've done my research on the procedure. I've changed my mind a few times.
I've done my research on the clinic and the surgeon and i'm more than happy with both.
The surgery is booked for next Tuesday.
I'll be updating my weight in a moment. I've not weighed myself for a while, its normally a scary process but i'm ready to stand on the scales and watch my weight reduce over the next coming months / years.
The journey has started!
Thanks for reading.

I
OMG, I've just paid the deposit. Flights booked. This time next week I'll be in recovery from having the sleeve done.

I've booked through Beautiful Beings. I've read mixed reviews but i'm comfortable with them as an agent. The surgery will be performed at SurGal clinic in Brno, Czech Republic.
I asked the agency if anyone else from the UK was going over the same time as me and if so could they pass my contact details on to them.
Thankfully there's another lady who happens to be on the same flight as me. We've been messaging each other lots. She's also going on her own so we're both really pleased that we've got in touch and built a friendship up before hand.

I've not been advised to do the milk diet, they've said to cut of fatty, spicy foods and fizzy drinks to reduce the size of my liver.

I'm bricking it. I'm excited. I'm worried about not waking up!
But i'm guessing all these reactions are normal and the benefits far out weight the risks of staying fat!

I had my last 'fat' holiday a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the quality time with my family but the lack of nice clothes and the lack of confidence to get in the pool in front of family was depressing!

I've done my research on the procedure. I've changed my mind a few times.
I've done my research on the clinic and the surgeon and i'm more than happy with both.
The surgery is booked for next Tuesday.
I'll be updating my weight in a moment. I've not weighed myself for a while, its normally a scary process but i'm ready to stand on the scales and watch my weight reduce over the next coming months / years.
The journey has started!
Thanks for reading.

I am so excited for you and thats amazing that u are speaking with a lady who is having ot on the same day as you!!

Good luck bbe, nerves r normal xxx keep us updated

Back