• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band or Sleeve

Charliefox

I have been given the option of either the gastric band or sleeve. Question is which one to go for. The sleeve option terrifies me as it is permanent. Please can you relay your good and bad experiences to help me. Also how soon would I be back to normal? I have 3 young children and my own business to consider.

Thanks in advance

i have not gone for surgery yet but I decided after a bit of research that the band was a definite NO for me. The band has a higher complication risk and is more costly long term. Sooner or later, the band will have to come out and thats a further cost to surgery. also most providers will cover band fills/defills for two years post op. Ive read many stories about the band. Some are good stories but some are also bad. Its pretty 50:50.

People who have been sleeved or bypass have better stories, quicker results, the bypass is reversible. Although it is a more intense operation, the sleeve and bypass have a much lower risk rate than the band.

Personally, the band is out of the picture for me. Its between the sleeve or bypass. if i am to have an operation, I only want to do it once and have it over and done with.

ps the band works for some people. Maybe it is exactly what you are looking for and the band could possibly suit u. All I am saying is the band is not for me.

Hope that helps

people can tell you their experiences but as each person is different their experience might be the total opposite to yours i would say do some research check the threads on here to see how people managed and the recovery times though again 1 person might be fine in a week and another it might be a month as im also pre op i cant say what works best im being bypassed maybe sleeved

no-one can tell you the best option for you, only you and your surgeon can really answer that question.

I researched for 7 years to make my choice and my band was really the only option for me. As a single parent and my own business they were factors as I couldn't afford the time out for more invasive surgery.

Contrary to what has been written above, a band does not need to be removed. It can be so it's completely reversible unlike sons weight loss surgery options, bug it doesn't have to be removed. I'd also suggest looking into facts and figures because you will find success rates etc although a sleeve is relatively new so ongoing figures aren't necessarily available.

Research all of the methods and look at what fits with you, life but more so your eating habits.

I have a band, it's not an easy option, but it was the option for me and despite issues, if has changed my life, other people can say it's not the right choice, this'd who have had revision surgery will favour one over another because one didn't work for them, you will see good and bad with all surgeries and it goes vary, this us why you need to research, pros and cons, but making the choice that only you can really know :)

Read, read and read until you're familiar with how they both work, what eating habits they work well with, rates of success/failure as there's loads to differentiate between.

All of them can be cheated at, whatever you end up choosing. You find a way to eat around it and you'll regain the weight. It's a tool not a cure so all involve a lot of changes to lifestyle. If you don't follow the rules set you won't lose the weight or you will but your body will really suffer from a lack of decent nutrients. The side effects of that can be really serious.

When I first started looking at WLS I thought the band would be for me. I really didn't realise what it involved at all. I was completely unaware that it's not filled to start and you may not have any restriction until that first fill though some people do have. Also that it might take a lot more adjusting before it's right. I also didn't realise that it wasn't a temporary solution. I thought it would just be taken out at the end. I now know that obviously it stays in but you can alter the fill level once your journey is complete. I felt for me that it had too much room for user failure ie that I'd screw it up. It's worth talking to banders who it's worked brilliantly for and what they did and those for who it's not worked out like they wanted.

After much deliberation I decided a sleeve was what would work best for me. It doesn't involve malabsorption, which put me off the bypass, and meant I would be eating normal foods if all went well within a few months, it tends to be a quicker recovery time than the bypass. As I have 3 kids it's important for me to eat good food with them and I didn't want them to remember me eating differently for long. I always have prepared healthy, decent food for meals so this was compatible with the sleeve. I do this without a second thought now I'm 5mths out. I now stick to two snacks a day as I haven't the capacity to eat more. It's great for how I ate. I'm very conscious that the further out I get the more work there will be to do though.

Recovery did involve 6 weeks off for me but it depends what you do as a job tbh. Many people return more quickly. If it's a very physical role you'll need a decent period of time off no matter what op you choose.

I made the right choice for me but it's a really individual decision so keep on reading and talking to your team until you feel settled with the surgery you think is best for you. Good luck :)

hiya im a bander! only you can make the right choice for you hun! good luck with your choice none of the ops are easy choices but one might suit you better than another! So far experience with band is about 80% positive, bit tight at the mo so need to get that sorted. But other than that great!

Hi I understand how you felt I was offered both I went for the band and it was great got me down from 32st to 24st in 18 months but it ate into my stomach wall very rare now I have a bypass and 12 st but I do miss the band it became a friend the bypass is great and I love it but the choice is down to you
Do research look at how much you need to lose
Side affects and things
With a band when you have a fill you have to go back to soft stage for a few days but you will find your sweetspot and it works great
With a bypass there is none of that but some people have a thing called dumping that is like a sugar rush hot and cold sweats
With a sleeve I don't think it happens my surgeon does more sleeves now than bands as cause less problems
But good luck with your choices
Mark

As the previous posters have stated, do your research well. Each method can help us succeed or we/the tool may fail. Everyone is different, and so will be their individual experience. Personally I love my band and I am almost three years out. I lost over 11 stones, and more than 100% of my excess weight within a year, so it's not necessarily a slower option than a sleeve or a bypass. I do have a very sweet tooth still, my band hasn't cured that, but what it has done has given me the helping hand to make the better food choices more than the less healthy choices. I always focus on plenty of protein first and if I still fancy the sweet stuff I have it, but if I am satisfied from the protein, I eat far less of the sweet stuff. It's all about perspective ... No good or bad days now leading to the viscious circles of self sabotage. Just happy days that I am a far healthier, size 10-12 rather than a 24-26. Good luck with your research and whichever route you choose.

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to book my pre op assessment and go from there. Another question is how long will recovery take from a sleeve roughly. How long until you can eat normally again.

hard to say on recovery as everyone is different might take 1 person a week and the next person a month and not sure on eating if it is the same roughly for all the surgeries could be upto 4/6 weeks

Contrary to what has been written above, a band does not need to be removed.

Top kat with the greatest of respect but according to my surgeon who is considered a World Authority (I havent booked yet but I've spoken with him a few times) said that the band has a maximum lifespan of 15 years. Sometimes it needs to come out before that.

He told me that he has done over 16,000 obesity operations since 2004 and he does a minimum of 10 band conversions a week due to band failures and bands that no longer function properly. He told me that he has the highest band conversion centre in the world.

I had already ruled out the band for me when I first decided to contact my surgeon and he confirmed what I had already discovered online.

My surgeon said the fact is, the band will sooner or later have to be removed/replaced.

I have found some providers out there are more experienced in one type of surgery than another and all they want to do is sell sell sell. Therefore some providers will try to promote what they are experienced in. This does not necessarily mean that it is the best option.

Again, everyone is different and will have different experiences. What may suit me might not suit another person and vice versa.

Top kat with the greatest of respect but according to my surgeon who is considered a World Authority ....... said that the band has a maximum lifespan of 15 years.

He told me that he has the highest band conversion centre in the world.

Hi plynch,

Out of interest are you able to say who that surgeon is? I am currently researching surgeons and options.

Thanks if you can.

As the previous posters have stated, do your research well. Each method can help us succeed or we/the tool may fail. Everyone is different, and so will be their individual experience. Personally I love my band and I am almost three years out. I lost over 11 stones, and more than 100% of my excess weight within a year, so it's not necessarily a slower option than a sleeve or a bypass. I do have a very sweet tooth still, my band hasn't cured that, but what it has done has given me the helping hand to make the better food choices more than the less healthy choices. I always focus on plenty of protein first and if I still fancy the sweet stuff I have it, but if I am satisfied from the protein, I eat far less of the sweet stuff. It's all about perspective ... No good or bad days now leading to the viscious circles of self sabotage. Just happy days that I am a far healthier, size 10-12 rather than a 24-26. Good luck with your research and whichever route you choose.

Hey flutterby- I just saw your journey photos! Wow u look amazing. Your weight loss is phenomenal . TRUELY inspiring. X

Back