• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or bypass???

kirstyjade

Iv got an appointment on the 8th of January to see the surgeon and he will ask me what surgery I want and I'm confused! I weigh 29stone and I feel the bypass wouldn't be as safe for me I'm petrified of dying and with a 1/200 chance of dying I don't feel I could take the chance I'm to scared so that leaves me with the sleeve and with a 1/500 mortality rate I feel this is the safer option and I feel less worried than if I was to have the bypass

So what I wanted to know is ladies who have had the sleeve what is your weight loss like? What was your start weight and how fast have you lost? And to you ladies who are further out have you managed to lose most of your excess weight or struggle to lose anymore?

Hi kirstyjade, can't answer yr question as I had a bypass but didn't want to just read and run. I'm pretty sure someone will be along soon who has been sleeved and will be of more help than me. Good luck with yr journey.

Hi Kirsty. I'm a sleever - I have a fairly slow weight loss, but have been slow losing all my life. Also, I had a reasonably low start weight. 14st 5lbs with a BMI of just below 33. I'm
nearly 3 months out and have lost almost 2 1/2 stone. Most sleevers on this board have a much higher loss than me.

I know you probably know that the sleeve op was invented as a first stage op for the very overweight, but due to its success became an op in its own right. They call the bypass the 'gold standard' as there's evidence to say the malabsorption gets a better overall result.

Also, there are people on this forum that have had success with the bypass and had a higher starting weight. Any op or anesthetic can have complications - speak to your surgeon and seek guidance as to which procedure is best for you.

Hi , im a bypasser the reason I picked this was because I needed something drastic to change my eating habits and the bypass would have done that the dumping didnt bother me either and my surgeon had such great feedback and her resluts regarding post op recovery and patient weight loss was brilliant so far 3 months on ive lost around 3 stone had a couple of stalls no biggie and 1 episode of "dumping" im losing aroubd 2/3lbs a week
good luck with whichever surgery you chose

Hi !! There are people here who were around your weight when they had the sleeve and have lost 10st since July so it certainly works.
I had a sleeve 4 months ago with a lower bmi and have still lost a lot of weight, from 12st 12lb to 9st so it is effective.

Hiya it is hard to choose. I would like to have the band,but the surgeon is recommending the sleeve. With all the surgeries you can get good results. I'm looking into pros and cons of both and will decide which one is better for me. Good luck and I hope you make the decision thats right for you. Gill

Hi Kar Have you decided on sleeve or band yet? From what I've read and been told when you have the band you still have to rely on will poiwer to loose weight. But if you have a sleeve the hormone that makes you hungry is removed with part of your stomach. Does that make sense?? I'm still not sure which I'm going to go for, but as I'm still waiting for my date I have a lot of thinking time

Talk it over with your surgeon get the advice from an expert, I was open minded but went for a bypass after getting medical advice, I was over 22st I have lost 10st 13lbs so far (Bypassed Nov 13)

Good luck xx

I initially went wanted the band but surgeon recommended the sleeve or bypass. I personally didn't want the bypass due to the whole malabsorption and Lifetime B12 injections so went with the sleeve. Start BMI was 45 and after about 10 months was down to 22.somthing and I have maintained for the last two months. Listen to your surgeon, they don't usually tell you outright but may strongly recommend what they think you are best suited too.
Good luck x

Hi when I went in for surgery the surgeon was not sure what he was going to do to me as I have always had problems bringing my food back up. So when I went down It was going to ether a bypass or a sleeve. When I had woken up he told me that he had done the bypass as this was much better for me with the food problem that I had. I weight 26 stone and its just been over a week since the operation and I have not weighed myself yet. I lost some weight doing the milk diet before surgery. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Thanks for your advice. To be honest I feel so lucky to be having surgery and whichever one I end up having I will make sure it works for me. Gill

Back