• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve size

organic1981

Hi everyone just wanted to know if anyone knew their sleeve size I saw my bariatric nurse for my first check up I asked how big my sleeve is and she said 30 cc I think that's how u say it. I have no idea if that's big or small. I have also lost 2 stone since surgery 2 weeks ago. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Just googled it - 30cc seems to be 1oz, so about 2 tablespoons. Makes you think, don't it ;-)

sorry, forgot to say congratulations on the weight loss...

Fantastic weight loss well done xxx

I had no idea they did sleeves in different sizes! And if it's that small god no wonder I can hardly eat anything lol x

The Surgeon inserts a tube down your throat into your stomach called a Bougie (pronounced boo jee) they come in various sizes (mine was a 32) there is a separate thread on here about Bougie sizes. The surgeon then uses that tube as a guide to determine where to place the staple line and therefore how much stomach to remove. I think the smallest is a 28 but they go up to 54 I think
The picture below should give you an idea of the different sizes and whilst they are very small the stomach does stretch when it receives the food and then shrinks back as the food passes through, although it will never stretch as much as before the op.

bougiesizes.jpg

check out the following for a more detailed explanation
ObesityHelp - Gastric Bypass, LAP-BAND® System, DS and Other Surgical and Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options.

I was sleeved in Jan 11 and my surgeon told me that new stomach was size of a very small slim banana!
I found initially 2-3 tsp food was enough however now I estimate I can now eat about 3-4oz softer textures (eg mash/mince/veg) or 1/2 slice toasted bread or sandwich or small baked potato/2 tbsp chopped salad.
Still cannot tolerate tough meat/white bread and tend to look at the overall nutritional value of what I eat so its quality now not quantity.
It can take me anything up to an hour to eat and if I try to hurry my food I end up being sick. I also have to sit at dining table (no longer on sofa in front of tv) to enable food to go down properly.
A warning sign I get when my stomach has had enough is a sensation of congestion/blocked nose, and apparently this can happen with a few people.

Back