• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve now bypass ??

clar01

Hi

I had my consultation today with the wonderful Ameet Patel, great man.

I was all set for the sleeve after lots if research but after a long consultation he recommended the bypass. Well he actually gave me the pros and cons of both and I've almost made my mind up myself to bypass.

Reasons are that I already have bad reflux and he feels the sleeve could make this worse. Also there is an increased risk of leaks due to the long staple line and this really worried me, I have a 7 month old baby and this us going to be hard enough without bring in hospital for 6 weeks with a leak.
On top of this he feels the bypass will get me to my goal weight whereas there is less chance of this with the sleeve ( although he said the weight lost with a sleeve will drastically improve my health)

So the biggie, sleeve £7500 bypass £9500.

I'm going to have to beg borrow and steal but I think I'm going bypass.

Would appreciate any views??

I want the bypass at first but my surgeon thought it was best to try the sleeve first due to my high BMI of 65 , there is all risk of leaks what ever surgery you have hun,

i am 15 weeks post op sleeve and have lost 70lbs so far and realy happy i have another 80lbs to go and i hope i will loss the rest with my sleeve .
which ever you go for it is a tool and will have to work hard with the tool hunni ,

all the best which ever you go for and good luck ,x

Well, it is alll down to personal choice, but for me, after over 5 years of personal research and talking to banders, sleevies, bypassers, GP's, Consultants and various other people - I want the bypass.

From your post, I would say that you are geared towards the bypass - whatever you decide, make sure that it is your decision hun x

Hi
If your surgeon thinks the bypass is best suited to you then go for it. Surgeons have different opinions on what ops they perform. My surgeon thought the sleeve would suit me over the bypass and i trusted his opinion. I think with both ops if you dont change your relationship with food forever, you wont maintain a healthy weight for years to come.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Kim

The cynic is me would say its because you will be paying more! but I'm sure his reasons are valid, reflux etc.

Good luck with whichever option you chose, cant offer any advice as I had a band xx

I was all set from the seminar, that I wanted a bypass and it was agreed at the second appointment with the nurse and dietician that a bypass would be best for me due my sweet tooth. Then suddenly a week before my op I had a bit of a panic about never being able to eat some of my favourite things anymore and started to wonder about the sleeve and whether it would be better for me than bypass due to the lack of dumping. I mentioned my concerns to the surgeon when he came to see me the day before surgery and he explained that he was quite happy to perform either and explained the differences relating to eating habits and said I could have the night to think about it and I could let him know the next morning. The main thing that stood out for me is that my main problem isn't portion control, but that I have a very sweet tooth, and that because the vast majority of sweet things are slider foods, the sleeve would not limited my intake whereas the dumping syndrome associated with a bypass will stop me over indulging on sweet stuff and therefore will be most likely to be more effective. I had my bypass 7 days ago and I honestly don't regret the decision. I have no hunger at all, and no cravings for sweet stuff whatsoever. Hope my story helps you decide :)

Ive always toyed with the bypass but chickened out of it a few times- due to my mothers scaremonger stories (she's a nurse). So much so that I have done the sleeve in secret. If your surgeon recommends the bypass I think you should go for it. Good luck what ever you decide :)

I love my sleeve, no problems post op and can eat pretty much anything in small portions so never feel left out ect and the weightloss is fine not to fast so my body can adjust. The bypass for me ment to much faffing about and worrying about dumping and being sick for me is a no-no so the sleeve is my angel :)
Good luck in what ever you decided hun xx

Am i right in thinking that there are no guarantees that you will dump with the bypass??

Kim
Hey Kim, ive heard that about 70% of bypassers dump, and about 30% of sleevers do :) xxx

Can you dump on things that are too fatty because i used to love those sorts of things and when my mate made me breakfast last week she fried the bacon and sausage and i felt so sick. It was supposed to be a treat as i had stayed the night but i felt terrible most of the day.

Kim

Can you dump on things that are too fatty because i used to love those sorts of things and when my mate made me breakfast last week she fried the bacon and sausage and i felt so sick. It was supposed to be a treat as i had stayed the night but i felt terrible most of the day.

Kim
from what i gather, its the same as bypass dumping, so yes. Also If you're not used to fatty stuff anymore, you would probably feel sick anyway xxx

Yes ladies I feel sick if i eat anyhting at all greasy and if its too sweet, but still crave sweet stuff. but not full dumping cos i have got into the habit that if i want it i just have tiny bit but the dietician assures me that is fine however should it try more than that little piece i will probably dump so am being a good girl xx

Hi I am waiting for my appointment in July then hopefully go on the waiting list. I am going for a sleeve, mainly to keep family and friends supportive but I think this is for me. I just need to stop picking all day every day at whatever I can get my hands on. Hopefully the sleeve will help :) It is a massive decision and I find this thread really useful as we need to make the right decision!

The sleeve will stop you picking all day, your appetite is hugely reduced and when you do eat you get full up so quickly. This makes it important that what you consume is a healthy choice. I still find it odd that im hardly ever hungry and its easy to forget to eat if you have a busy day (not a good thing to do!!)

Kim

I am 7 weeks post bypass today. The weight is coming off in fits and starts, but that is no longer a worry to me.

A physician we had talk at support group Wednesday said many surgeons like to do what they personally enjoy as surgery and will promote that.

He also said no two bypasses, sleeves bands are created equally due to everyone's physiology, diet history, metabolism, build, BMI, genetics being different.

The key he said is making the right food choices and exercise. He said not all sleeves are made the right size for the patients, not all intestines are bypassed using the correct amount. So success from one person to another will vary for that reason also.

So, what I am saying is, listen to the surgeon, but really only listen to your own mind, heart and research. In the end only you can make either tool work.

Good luck with deciding :)

I chose bypass straight away because I felt at my weight I needed the added help from the lack of absorption from the first bit of intestine being re routed. My surgeon didn't even suggest the sleeve but I think you have to go with what is right for you. If you are worried about sweet stuff the bypass might be better for you, having that higher chance of dumping could put you off even trying to eat anything sweet. Go with what you feel is right and of course listen to your surgeon but ultimately you need to make the decision. Good luck :) x

Back