• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why did you choose the Bypass?

A.Positive

OK guys, so I was certain I wanted to go for a Sleeve. I researched the Sleeve over and over again, feeling that I didn't want my anatomy "disturbed" too much. But after having met with an incredibly Sleever yesterday (I met her on this site); I decided to look in the Bypass. I think its actually better suited to me but I am terrified for the procedure!

I am over 20 stone, I am not sure exactly. I gave up weighing myself some time ago. My BMI is above 40, I have diabetes and suffer from acid reflux occasionally. From what I understand, having the Sleeve can make that condition worse. I have started to get chest pains and while I am not sure what these are, I am pretty certain I have heart disease. That is really hard to say.

I know that a Bypass results in faster weightloss (typically) and as I am petrified of having a heart attack at the age of 30 I think I need to go down this route.

For those of you that had the Bypass, please reassure me. Why did you opt for it?

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex

First of all, the pains in your chest may very well be caused by acid reflux but if you have any concerns at all about chest pains see your GP. A quick scan will show whether you have problems or not. It's not worth getting yourself wound up if it turns out there is no reason to be. And if there is a problem best to find out ASAP and start treatment.

I wasn't given the sleeve as an option so know nothing about it but from the off it was clear the bypass was the route for me. My biggest 'failings' were ice cream and chocolate. Exactly the sort of things that will slide down past a band with no problem at all.

I was 22 stone when I had the op at the end of Feb and have lost 5 stone. I have no feelings of hunger at all and have to remind myself to eat. That sounds like a good thing but there are potential problems too. It is VITAL that post-op patients eat enough protein. Lack of protein can cause muscle weakness and wastage - and your heart needs strong muscles.

Plus from an aesthetic point of view, a fast weight loss very often leads to saggy skin. Not just a little flabby bit but full on 'sag'. My empty stomach skin is unsightly already and I've another 5 stone to go.

Would I still have the bypass today? Oh yes! For all the extra thought that needs to go into eating and the saggy skin, I am feeling GREAT

I dont think it results in quicker loss, but statistically its considered to result in a higher percentage of excess weight loss (70% vs 60% as I was told). I was nearly 24 stone at my pre-op, so that extra 10% really meant something. The sleeve wasn't given to me as an option until quite late in the process. I think I should have considered it more, but I'm still happy with my decision to have the bypass. For me I did not like the idea of having the stomach removed from my body. With the bypass, if something goes horribly wrong, there is the option of a reversal (though it will never be the same as before).
I suffered badly with acid reflux, since the op I can count on 1 hand how many times I have even felt a niggle. My surgeon recommended the bypass because of my acid reflux, as they believe it virtually cures it.
If you are concerned about your heart, please get yourself checked out. Dont put yourself in risk, having anaesthetic has its risks.

I simply chose it on the basis it would give me the best chance of loosing the weight and live a long normalish life and would eliminate or reduce my recent health problems.

yes its faster than the other procedures so excess skin could be an issue, but your going to get that even with the slower loss on the other procedures as if the skin has stretched beyond its normal elastic limits anyway, it will never return as good no mater how slow you loose it. some people are lucky and naturaly have a good skin elasticity and other do not, but to be honest id rather have some excess skin and deal with that at a later date than be morbadly obese! maybe thats a male perspective, but that was how i looked at it :)

yes its a big lifestyle change, but thats the kick up the bum i needed to sort myself out for the rest of my hopefully longer life. im still in the early stages post op, but ive been more than happy with my choice so far :D best thing to do is talk to your surgeon and bariatric team, and get as much info and advice of the different procedures. ;)

Thank you everyone!

The pain I feel isn't all like acid reflux, its more like a deep stabbing in my chest. I have spoken to my GP about it and he said that as I would being referred, I would be best to discuss the issue with the hospital team. I will do so this Friday, I realise how important this issue can be when having an operation.

I didn't realise the Bypass could be "reversed" thank you for that information.

Thanks again.

Also, how you guys deal with the vitamins issue. Do you find it relatively easy to stay nutritionally balanced?

I was scheduled for a bypass,but due to complications a sleeve was performed,having researched this I am now happy this was a better option for me,as you say no re-routing of the pipework,still retain pyloric valve,less chance of malnutrition & dumping syndrome,weight loss is comparable with a bypass,as for vitamin's I don't know whether at this stage it will be life long,but bypass is definitely for life & possible vitamin b injections depending on blood test levels.Little is known about the sleeve long term,but my surgeon did state that band will cease to exist & following a study of bypass & sleeve the procedure with better results will be the only one offered

Bypasses are only reversed under dire circumstances, it is a very complicated procedure. I forgot to put in that it was also the wealth of clinical knowledge available about the bypass, opposed to other procedures, which I found reassuring. Bypasses have been performed since the 1960's, and in this country they have been used to combat obesity since 1991, This is why it is considered the 'gold standard'.
Nutritionally, for me its a little soon to tell. But I have no known problems, I take my supplements, I try to eat a balanced diet. I am very aware of my reduced ability to absorb nutrients, and because of that I know that I will be more inclined to look after myself, and make sure that what I eat is the best I can have.

Not given a choice really ..balloon until I got my BMI from 68 to 50 (achieved) and then bypass hopefully next month :). I have been told a sleeve is not recommended for someone who suffers acid reflux prior to WLS ,Which I do, more so since the balloon has been in.
Good luck with your journey and with whatever you decide :) x

Good luck, I am an emergency room unit manager and all I can tell you is that it can be impossible to distinguish between cardiac and gastric pain, a heart attack can mask as a shoulder or neck/jaw pain as well and as you have risk factors, rather play it safe. It will also put you in a better position to get ready for surgery.

I considered all options, but felt I wanted to give myself the 'best' results, therefore decided on the bypass. My surgeon agreed (after I made my decision) that it was the best option for me. They have been carrying out bypasses for decades and have lots of information/stats to draw upon. Perhaps if I hadn't been as heavy I may have felt the sleeve was a better option. Good luck with whatever procedure you decide upon.

Thank you everyone! This has really helped a lot.

The bypass was the only option when I was done as the sleeve wasn't readily available. That said I would have opted for the bypass anyway. I love what it has achieved for me and can't fault it at all. Love it just love it.

I am not a sleever, but a wrapper (gastric plication). I love, love love it!!! I am a year and 3 months out and have lost 12 stone. I was 23 stone with a bmi of 50 before. Good luck whatever you decide...It's a very personal decision and and you need to feel confident in whatever you decide.

xx

Hi, I was given the option when first referred but was told if I didn't lose weight I would only receive a sleeve.
I was referred with a BMI of 63 and on op day I was a BMI of 50.7 which still made my a slight risk for a bypass but my surgeon was more than happy once he saw that the weight had come off round my middle and that my liver was nice and small/soft.
For me the long term statistics and the threat of dumping swayed me towards a bypass.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back