• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I dont think i will be allowed a bypass

louisaL

looking to make a change!
I was reading a sheet the nurse gave me about the different ops and it says the bypass is usually for people of a bmi up to 55 and the sleeve is for bmi's of 60+.

I have specifically requested a bypass and really want a bypass but because my bmi at the mo is 65-70 (not sure on my weight at the moment get weighed next fri) they might make me to go for a sleeve, depending of course though how much i loose on the pre pre op and the pre op which i am yet to do.

Dont loose heart, the surgeons are usually prepared to sit and discuss the choices with you and Im sure if they are made aware of the fact you want a bypass they will be willing to discuss it. The only reason they would advise against any of the ops would be on medical grounds :D XX

Louise there is no end of discussion prior to your surgery between you and the bariatric team, so please don't give up hope... it may be that they'll suggest alternatives.

Keep your options open, research, ask questions and write it all down so you can ask when you go to the pre op appointments.

Good luck, love and hugs xxx

When someone's BMI is above a certain level (60?), surgeons often do a sleeve first as it's safer, followed by a bypass once some of the weight is off. Jasbtn here is a case in point - he was hoping for a bypasss, had a sleeve, but has been told they intend giving him a bypass later this year. So don't give up, discuss your concerns with your surgeon. x

Chin up_ it might be the best way forward.There are some amazing examples of brilliant weight loss with a sleeve. Mixman is a true inspiration-and I think he just had the sleeve.
All the best
x

Before you go for your appt, do some research on sleeves versus bypass. Look at all aspects including remissions on co-morbidities. For example the research is fairly strong now that type 2 diabetes is more likely to go into remission post bypass. However a bypass is a bigger op. So you need to consider a lengthier anaesthetic etc.
When you have your appt , go prepared to listen but also go armed with your research. This way you will be demonstrating that you know and understand the risks v benefits of both ops.
Best of luck
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi I was supposed to ave a bypass when I went down and when I woke up they done a sleeve I was disapointed but I now ave the option to go in for a bypass when I've lost more weight in 6 weeks I've lost 3 stone so a sleeve ain't that bad my luv. Xxxx good luck

a bypass might still be possible after your BMI comes down with the sleeve...good luck in getting what you need x

Always have faith in your surgeons decisions, but never be afraid to ask questions that challenge it....

Good luck my lovely xx

thanks everyone for your comments i will speak to them when i go on the 4th march x

Louisa..
I have been given a choice...the nurses discuss each operation briefly to you..
I was asked what I was swaying towards..I want a bypass.
I was told by the nurse its between me and the surgeon and the anaesthetist.(sp?) which will be the next appointmet for me.

Question why,get all answers,
My main question for this,
will you/I get funding for both operations should this be the case.(in regards to the sleeve,then the bypass.)
I look forward to hearing what they say Louisa x x x

these sheets of paper that they give you are based on an average person - everybody is different hun! have words with your surgeon when you see him he might do the bypass for you xxx

Usually it will depend on other factors as well, if they think you are a high risk then they will probably opt for the shorter operation. My BMI was 65 and I had a bypass, my surgeon said it was technically very complex because of the BMI but he did it and it was all perfectly fine. Like the others said you can have it converted to a bypass after if you wanted but a lot of people have done very very well with a sleeve x

I had the sleeve through choice and have never regretted it.
I love my sleeve.

I was one of the people down for a bypass but woke up with a sleeve as I was too fatty inside and wouldn't have been safe to do a bypass. But I'm very happy with my sleeve. I've made it work for me, like a great number of people on here have.

Recent results, in Sheffield, show that the weight loss is very comparable to the bypass. I think the biggest thing, IMO, is that you will need better will power with the sleeve than the bypass. There are lesser chances getting dumping etc, so you have to educate yourself to eat better, there's more chance of you over eating too with the sleeve.

But as said above, it's 'normally' the first part of a 2 stage process. Have a sleeve first to lose enough weight to operate safely on for a bypass after.

I had a starting BMI of 63 and was on the waiting list for a bypass.

The reason I had a one stage DS was because I breached the waiting list and was sent to the Nuffield.

I knew a DS was the best op for my eating habits - but didnt know till I woke up whether it had all been done or if I had just had the sleeve with the re-plumbing to follow.

I'd had the one stage op.

A sleeve can be converted to a bypass or DS when your weight has lowered.

They will advise you with whatever is safest for you

xxx

hi i had bmi of 69 and had a bypass didnt even realise it went on your bmi as surgeon reccomended it and i wanted bypass anyway.

good luck xx

Back