• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve VS Bypass?

I'm almost 5 months post bypass and I've lost almost 7 stone. Had the person who's been telling you all these 'horror stories' had a bypass and regained her weight? To be honest both a bypass and a sleeve are only a tool to aid weight loss. It's us who have to put in the hard work. You can regain weight with both by over eating and eating the wrong foods.

At the end of the day it's your choice what procedure you have. But if your having doubts, have a chat with your bariatric team :)

There are arguments for and against both procedures. Its up to you to do the research and come to your own decision. Its really a very personal decision. I think we can all argue that our procedure is best!

Probably what's best is if we tell you why we choose the procedure we did. I picked my sleeve because I didn't want to risk malnutrition, I wanted my pyloric sphincter, not a stoma, I wanted a stomach that could be scoped easily if required, and I wanted a normal functioning stomach, just smaller. The weight loss should ultimately be roughly the same as a bypass, but it will be slower.

All surgeons agree that the bypass is the "gold standard " of wls I think also bec it's been around the longest and it has better success treating diabetes perhaps? I too chose the sleeve as I didnt want anything inside me changing

i had the sleeve because i didnt want malnutrition and dumping, also when the remove your stomach, the part they remove produces ghrelin, the hunger hormone, i lost 8 stone in 7 months and now have a "normal"
ive never been called normal before lol
good luck with what ever you decide on :) x

I choose the bypass as I felt more reassured by having the procedure that is the "gold standard" and that has been around the longest so I figured most of the little kinks would have already been ironed out. I also wanted to give myself the highest chance of success so liked the bypass multipronged attack with the restriction, reduced absorption and the removal of the ghrelin hormones (which happens for both options). Also the threat of dumping works wonders for my motivation to stay on track as if my willpower fails my body will sure as anything stop me in my tracks! It's only a very few that has a big problem with malabsorption for most people it just means be careful to take all your vitamins and be a bit inventive with their food intake. It's all very subjective how we are making our choices, have a chat with your team to discuss what's most suitable for you

The sleeve and now the wrap are all fairly new developments in wls and I'm sure more will appear. I choose the bypass as I has so much left to loose and lost a further 13 stones with it after loosing 10 stones myself as I was too frightened at 35 stones to consider surgery. Its whatever you think will suit you best and you feel you can live with afterwards, The demon of regain is always there whatever surgery you have its you that makes it work. Some poor souls have problems whatever surgery too its the risk you take.

Wishing you every success with whatever you decide you have had a long journey to this point

M

I had bypass 18 months ago ive lost around 12.5st i wouldnt change a thing but like all forms of wls its just a tool not a miracle cure im 13.7st now and i feel brilliant with a brand new life this is just my opionion i had the same thing going on that i should have this n not that bla bla bla but the bypass was the best choice for me and i havent had a single problem from the day of my surgery

One other thought, its all very well for us all to say how well we're doing here when the majority of us are only a couple of years out or less. Of course we're bound to be happy with our surgeries at this point. I suggest you do some research about five years plus postoppers.

The sleeve was my choice, less risk of dumping and being sick. I am terrified of being sick!
I wanted a normal but smaller stomach.

It is a decision I took after hours of research. We each have to decide what is best for us and as previously said and drummed in to me by my MDT "it is a tool" you put the food in your mouth!

Take your time and think it through decide what you think is best for you. Good Luck x

5 years 10 years regardless how much time passes its gotta be down to the food you eat as to whether you put weight back on i know ill never go back to where i was before. my entire outlook to what i eat has changed forever. dont get me wrong there are days that i feel i could eat a horse lol but thats where remembering what i was like before and will power come into play

The sleeve and now the wrap are all fairly new developments in wls and I'm sure more will appear. I choose the bypass as I has so much left to loose and lost a further 13 stones with it after loosing 10 stones myself as I was too frightened at 35 stones to consider surgery. Its whatever you think will suit you best and you feel you can live with afterwards, The demon of regain is always there whatever surgery you have its you that makes it work. Some poor souls have problems whatever surgery too its the risk you take.

Wishing you every success with whatever you decide you have had a long journey to this point

M

Wow! How amazingly inspirational. Well done and then some.

I chose the sleev because of the horror stories surrounding malnutrition etc but I do think its probably the all singing all dancing surgery. You have to make the decision yourself based on lots of research and also how you live your life. Good luck with your decision. I believe very few people regret it!

I chose the sleev because of the horror stories surrounding malnutrition etc but I do think its probably the all singing all dancing surgery. You have to make the decision yourself based on lots of research and also how you live your life. Good luck with your decision. I believe very few people regret it!

You only become malnourished if you don't eat properly, or you have another complication which has an impact on your absorption rate.

I was in a toss up between the bypass or the sleeve. I wanted the best one. When I first went to one of the seminars, they weren't talking about the sleeve. It was the band or the bypass. I told my surgeon I wanted the best one for me that would work the best. He told me that people usually loose he same with the sleeve or he bypass. I selected the sleeve because it's less "rearranging!" I am in the final stages of all my tests that are required. One more appointment with my doctor then we submit the paperwork!!!

Its interesting, because my hospital state that average weight loss with the sleeve is less than that of the bypass, but only 10%. Equally though, I chose the bypass because my BMI was 68 and because I had PCOS and I needed the hormonal changes caused by the bypass.

I chose the sleeve because to me it seemed the most sensible option. I didn't want my insides totally replumbed but I definitely didn't want the faffing around that came with the band. My BMI was 37.8 before the surgery, now it's 24 ie normal and my weight is 9st 1.6 as of this morning. This took me approx a year, I'm now 14 months out. I still have excellent restriction and can eat whatever I like, just so much less of it.

I wanted a bypass because I wanted the security of having my stomach still in my body just in case something went wrong and I needed a revision. I was seen by three surgeons before I finally got my op and ALL three told me that bypassers lose more weight and faster then sleevers and because I had 100+ to lose Bypass was the best option.

But i'm 5 wks post up and the scales have only just started moving so they must of been lying lol

Just a few things for you to consider. If they do give you the chance of another weight loss surgery its very unlikely that it will be a one stage process.

The surgeon will probably want to remove the band and leave the stomach to settle for a few months.

Ask the team and research the weight loss for band to bypass and band to sleeve.

I have met a number of band to bypassers who haven't managed to lose all of the weight they wanted to but there are people on here who have done well.

I'm sure there are a couple of band to sleevers too so hopefully they will see this and comment.

I love my sleeve, definitely the best decision I've made.

Back