• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeved in February 2010 - four years done!

Hi

I haven't been on here for ages but something made me drop by today so I thought I'd do a quick update.

I had my sleeve surgery in February 2010 and am so glad I did! Prior to my surgery I suffered from asthma, angina, apnoea, dangerously high blood pressure and arthritis. Now? Asthma is well under control (I was born with it, so it's unlikely to ever go away completely). Angina - haven't needed any medication for it in over three years. Apnoea - gone after I'd lost forty pounds. Blood pressure - normal with a tendency to drop a little low sometimes. Arthritis - still get flare ups but I've been able to run a few 5ks (going to stick to walking them from now on).

The only problem I have is gallstones, I'm waiting to have my gallbladder removed. Other than that I feel pretty good! I'm 54 so my skin is never going back to normal and I'm not going to have plastic surgery so I'll put up with my flabby bits (spanx rule the world!)

Before I had the op I used to use a walking stick - sometimes two - just to walk from the house to the car. Nowadays I walk a mile and a half each morning and evening just to get to the tube station to go to work. I did not do public transport when I was large. I would have panic attacks. Now I travel during rush hour with no problem.

Every few weeks I hop on an airplane to visit my daughter (and now, my brand new miracle grand-daughter too!) in Germany. Before, I hated plane travel and having to ask for an extension belt. Now I'm a frequent flyer!

I no longer feel the need to weight myself constantly. Once every few weeks is enough. I am normally between eight stones and eight and a half stones. That is fine. I have said that I would allow myself to go no higher than nine stones and that has been no problem whatsoever.

In short, the surgery has turned my life around. Not because it was a magic cure - I still had to work at it. I don't eat the wrong things. I exercise. The thing it did for me was gave me the chance to stop the downward spiralling of my health.

Good luck to you all - if you've already had the surgery, or are awaiting a date to have it.

All the best x

Hi there!
Your post is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing. I am having a sleeve 2 weeks tomorrow and am both excited and nervous. I can't wait to start losing some weight and living my life again xx

This is wonderful to read! I'm two weeks post op and whilst I've lost 2 stone with ore op and post op I can't visualise myself slim!!! My brain doesn't seem to get it !! It's a funny feeling isn't it ?! X

Your post is an inspiration. If you don’t mind my asking, did you have any relapses or episodes of using food to cope at times of stress, during your journey? And, if you did fall or the wagon, so to speak, what did you do to get back on track? …Just after a few pointers as I find ‘maintenance’ like rocket science!

Thanks again for your post and long may your success continue.

What a fabulous thread and very inspiring although you made it sound easy I'm sure it wasn't.

I have been struggling to lose all my weight I am 11 months post op now and still have 40lbs to lose to be at my goal and it's very slow now and there are days I really don't know if I'll ever get there.

What is lovely to hear is that you have maintained your loss that's remarkable and what a wonderful healthy new life you have given yourself. Thank you for sharing.

Super inspiring, glad you shared it with us. I'm due to have a sleeve on 6th May, reading stories like this reminds me why I'm doing it.

Keep up the good work xx

What a wonderful inspiring story!! I have my sleeve date next week, not sure if i'm excited scared or nervous its a weird feeling but i'm like a sponge at the moment absorbing everyones experiences so thank you for sharing your story xx & all the best for the future!

Well done, you are in a place where most of us want to be. Thanks for sharing the positivity of your experience, keep it going :)

Thanks for sharing this I have a consultation booked tomorrow I'm still concerned and a little worried but your story has really inspired me to take the next step and I think if at all possible I will book an appointment for my surgery tomorrow. Thanks again ?

Back