• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slimfast etc

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
Sorry if this has been asked before, i couldnt find an answer.:confused:

I see a lot of people on slimfast both before and after the op. Im more interested in the post op use.
Ive used slimfast before, one of th emany diets ive tried, and I found it to be quite gloopy and thick. Also it seems to get thicker the longer its left.

So my questions are. If you are on slimfast post op you obviously cant have a lot due to restriction,so how do you make it ? do you only make a little bit at a time or make and store?
Or, do you get the ready made ones and if so do they get thicker the longer they are left ?

Im currently having Celebrity slim as I find that yummy lol. but its made with water so doesnt get thicker. Is it an idea to make slimfast with water ? then you lose out on the milk part of the nutrition.

Sorry if this sounds a bit jumbled, hopefully someone understands the jist lol

My nurse told me it will cause dumping in post bypassers as it is full of sugar , so I am on protein shakes from www.discountsupplements.co.uk :D

Made with skimmed milk it is thinner - I buy the tins of powder that you make yourself (much cheaper) and do 2 level scoops with 250ml milk and use and electric whisk to eliminate those vomit enducing lumps ;)

You can add more milk to thin it out, you have to take tiny sips to drink it so it will take a whole day at first to drink that much. I take it as it has nutrients I need at the mo that I can't get from other sources - plus it has sugars and my blood sugars were at 4 yesterday hence my dizziness.

You can make it thicker and thinner to suit you but you won't be able to have to too thivck post op. :p:p:p

cheers for that

I think Im going to take a celeb slim shake pack with me for him to look at, as i might want to go with it on pre op depending on what diet he gives. Looking at that Protein drink stats and this Celeb stuff
this is the vanilla celeb slim stats on a 55g serving ( 1sachet)

Calories 207 %
Daily Values*
Total Fat 2.4g 4%
Saturated Fat 1.3g 6%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 210mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 27.4g
9% Dietary Fiber 0g
0% Sugars 24.7g
Protein 18.4g
Vitamin A -210ug
Vitamin C -13.5mg
Calcium -400mg
Iron -4.8mg

I dunno Im not up on the nutritional stuff, I guess I have to knuckle down n learn some more

I havent had my op yet but from what Nic and Shelley and Silver Surfer say, protein shakes are the way to go to help with the protein intake, and they are definately proof of the pudding

Jay xx

Hi
I am 1 week post op after having band fitted on 18/7/09.
I find that the slimfast smoothies suit me better than the shakes as they are really fruity tasting and dont taste as sweet. I am also drinking plenty of sugar free dilute squash on a daily basis and can now tolerate some soup also. Hope this helps.

I'm a bander and can tolerate the ready made shakes. It takes me about 30 mins at the moment to drink half bottle because my band is really tight.I drink these for the protien as I don't seem able to get enough in the food line.

thanks all. Im not a fan of slimfast for the reason of it getting thicker lol/ Lollycakes thats what Im not keen on.
I think ill take a pack of celeb slim to mr pollard on thursday and see what he says. (if he says I can have the op lol)
Im going to get some different kinds of protein shakes I think and see what the best. Think ill steer clear of the slimfast for now.

Here's another suggestion - I'm on Exante which is a food replacement diet and it's working really well for me.

In addition to the protein you need, it provides 100% of the RDA for all your vitamins and minerals.

Full nutritional details are on their website (www.exanteinc.com) but here's how their vanilla shake (46grams) compares with the info above

Cals 200
Protein 16.8g
Carbs 18.5g
of which sugars 15.2g
Fat 6.6g
Fibre 3.3g

Looks like about the same protein but much lower carbs and sugar. I have avoided Slimfast because of the sugar.

I'd be interested to see what your surgeon says. Please keep us posted.

thanks for the info Isha never heard of it but its certainly doing well for you :D fab weight loss well done.

Im just going to see what the surgeon says as he will also be giving pre op info too so will have to see. I was more curious to see how ppl coped with it starting to get thicker lol, but seems it has a lot of sugar so im staying well clear i think:)

Both the celeb slim and the exante have a lot of carbs in for post op use. It's individual choice though! Personally, I would rather have a protein shake which has plenty of extra vits etc in but 0-2g net carbs and 20-42g net protein.

thanks shell that makes my decision then Ill go with the protein stuff lol, if its worked for most on here then thats good enough for me. Luckily i only have about 4 sachets of celeb slim left, although its yum Ill not be buying any more

I'm no expert on any of this as am only 2.5 weeks post op, but as my bariatric nurse told me, and shel and others have said, the likes of slimfast for bypassers isn't a wise choice cos of the risk of dumping:(
I'm not sure about it for banders though :confused:

You'd be fine using it for your pre-op diet, if the surgeon agrees. Anything like celeb slim/lipotrim/cambridge etc is suitable.

to be fair Im not a slimfast fan I was just wondering how people went about making the amount they want, as i said before i used to have it and it went as thick as a mcdonalds milkshake but tasted horrid lol.
i think for the sake of it, Ill try the protein shakes. Depending on what pre op diet im given, if im getting surgery lol, then i might invest in the protein stuff as I can use it after too.

So long as I can have my coconut actimel then im a happy bunny, i love that stuff :D

You'll need to check the sugar, it would need to be less than 5g per 100ml, and most of the yoghurt drinks advertised as 'light' are low fat rather than low sugar.

But it is worth having them if you can find one that suits, one of those will fill you up immediately post op, and if you've had IV antibiotics post op (depends on the hospital) it's a good way to restore your body's good bacteria.

ah right thanks for that shell:)

just dragged my actimel out the fridge and they are coconut ones they say on them 12g per 100g :(

Back