• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slimfast - mild dumping anyone?

phatmomma

Hi, as some of you may know it appears i am now lactose intolerant following my bypass last week. I can't have fortimel so chose my standby slimfast as a good source of protein (made with lactose free milk obviously :) ). Well about 30 minutes later i was needing the toilet for a No2 and had stomach cramps and was hot flushing. This lasted for about 10 minutes and about another 10 minutes later i felt better altho five minutes shut eye wouldnt have hurt (i'm due my power nap anyway).

Just wondered if slimfast has some kind of sugar content that's not particularly good for overly sensitive tummies? Anyone else had this?

If slimfast is gonna have this effect and i can't have fortimel i'm wondering what i can have for my protein as i'm on fluids for another 3 weeks!

All replies greatfully received!

If I remember correctly honey, Slimfast actually has loads of sugar in it.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can be a little more specific.

Good luck.

xxx

Apparently after a conversation with the **** dietician at my providers she tells me that slimfast powder could contain skimmed milk powder which would affect my bowels. However ready made drinks are chemically lactose free, sound yum don't they?

So tomorrow i'll try a ready made one after my excursion out as i don't want to embarass myself having an accident at the church fete now do i.......

I hun don't quote me but i'm sure celebrity slim has no sugar, because it make you go into ketosis like Atkins. Thought it may be worth letting you know so that you can check it out :) good luck hun xxx

I'm 13 months post op and ready made slimfast has been one of the only few things that i've dumped on. xxx

Could you maybe get some soya milk? Then there is no lactose and being soya it should also be great protein.
Steph x

Thanks zns for your research and i appreciate it but nearly £20 for only 11 servings is way past my budget. I think i'll just drink extra milk (lactose free of course) to get my protein in!

The sugars in slim fast come from lactose sugars which are easier to digest than other sugars and the ready made ones contain lactose so please be careful taking them with a lactose intolerance.

The sugars in slim fast come from lactose sugars which are easier to digest than other sugars and the ready made ones contain lactose so please be careful taking them with a lactose intolerance.

I'm not going to take them Terri, am a big milk lover so will quaff my lactose free milk to help me along xx

what about a protein shake made with water or soya milk. I use BSN lean dessert and make it up with water rather than milk - 20g of protein in every shake.

Thanks Stella, but i've sorted out the fluid problem, i'm using lactose free milk.....

The problem is finding a protein that doesn't contain dried milk and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg....

slimfast is carb heavy(ie sugar), i used to take it pre op, but went over to the low carb protein shake i still take now, no wonder you dumped, poor you :(

Back