• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk intolerance?

minxie

Hi everyone. I have read and heard that some people have developed a milk intolerance after their by-passes and I asked my surgeon about it today at our pre-op meeting. He said that it doesn't happen unless you are already intolerant of milk:confused: Now I'm confused......has anyone developed it for the first time post op?

The reason I ask is that I was planning to use some slimfast or whey protein drinks in my post-op liquid weeks, and I wonder whether or not I will tolerate it.

I loved milk before my bypass but now I can only have small amounts. I'm not intolerant as I have it on cereal and tea/coffe etc.. but if I have a small glass of milk then I feel very nauseaus and have to lie down its not pleasant. I would advise looking carefully at slimfast etc... as the sugar in them can be too high for you after bypass. I'm not 100% sure on this so do check. Good Luck x

Phatmomma developed lactose intolerance just after her bypass
It passed after a few weeks and she is now fine now in fact her lattes get a regular mention on her ramblings LOL

Phatmomma developed lactose intolerance just after her bypass
It passed after a few weeks and she is now fine now in fact her lattes get a regular mention on her ramblings LOL

I agree its the lactose that is the problem at first after surgery. I had it for a couple of weeks but fine now with SMilk.

Rosebun. x:)

i havent developed an intolerance for milk, but drinking it as often as i did on the milk diet has sort of put me off...

Thanks everyone, that's reassured me. I will be cautious with Slimfast as I know it's quite heavy on the sugar. Anyone used the occasional Cambridge Diet shake in the early days - think it has a lot less sugar but plenty of nutrients. Also have quite a lot of them to use up lol - shan't be needing them in the future!!!

Back