• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

slow cooker recipes not just for bypassers

MissDiet

Come on lbs!!!
Ohhh sounds lovely! Xx

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
I quite often add some low sugar baked beans to my stews to bulk them out - they also help thicken it a bit!

MissDiet

Come on lbs!!!
Good idea that. I've been craving stew for a week lol x

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
Go on MissD - do it! You know you want to!! :p

My slow cooker is bubbling away again in the kitchen - could this be an addiction?

penelope1008

Can't wait to try some of these had my eldest home for Christmas & he hates stews so have not had one for 3 wks + now as much as I love him I know what I'm cooking once he's gone back as the rest of us love them.

pandora

finding my way again !
My two will eat a chilli or bolognese made in it , but won't entertain a casserole / stew , no help to me when trying to do healthy & cheap meals !
Nearer the time I shall make some for the freezer for post op xx

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
Chilli and bolognese can both be healthy too Pandora, just make sure to use very lean mince, or quorn, or a mixture of both! Also adding sneaky veggies like grated carrot etc that will all but dissolve in a slow cooker, you can hide stuff in there!!! :D

Montana

This is a nice one to do if you like fish.

Tomato Baked Mackerel and cod
25g butter or margarine
1 Onion, finely chopped
450g Mackerel fillets, skinned and cubed
450g Cod fillets, skinned and cubed
100g Button mushrooms, sliced
225g Tomatoes, skinned and sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
45ml Water
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Pre-heat slow cooker on high
2. Heat butter or margarine in frying pan and fry onion gently until transparent
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, then transfer to the slow cooker
4. Cook on low for 2-4 hours.

Tiggerific

I Love my Bypass!
Dont forget you can add lentils to your stews, chillis etc they are full of protein, cook down to nothing and bulk up any recipe :D (great for slow cookers)

MissDiet

Come on lbs!!!
I might nip over and get some ingredients after. Im having homemade curry tonight. :). Which probably would work well in a stew pot!

X

pandora

finding my way again !
Yes I agree chilli & bolognese are healthy , just wish I could do more in it , although they have just said they will have beef but not chicken as apparently the chicken goes dry ???
I don't have a problem getting them to eat veggies , they love them
If you have a good curry recipe i'd love that .
BTW Coleman's mixes are 2 for a pound in Tesco atm xx

Raynebubble

Some lovely recipes coming through..keep them coming xxx

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
I'm lovin' this thread!! :D

Chicken is fine in a slow cooker as long as its in a sauce or gravy, its only when you try to dry cook it it all goes a bit wrong!! Best using a roasting bag for that - mind you, tha's got me thinking - I wonder if you can put the chicken in a roasting bag IN the slow cooker? That might allow it to slowly cook in its own juices! I will experiment with that on my old scratched slow cooker before I chuck it away (I can't use it any more as it was a non stick metal one and all the non-stick coating has come off, so nothing lost if it ruins the cooker!)

pandora

finding my way again !
Once she gets an idea in her head its really hard to remove it lol , but I can try a beef one , or sausage one I have a few fajita & enchiladas mixes in cupboard , wonder if I could do something with them , sort of Mexican beef or something , with beans , tomatoes etc ?

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
Oh god Pandora, that sounds NOM NOM NOMMMMMM!! :eek::D

pandora

finding my way again !
That did make me lol , have to say I was wondering what to do with them , see my two don't like really spicy stuff so only use half a sachet when I buy the kits , thus I end up with extra , plus I bought a kit a bit back had 2 free packets with it

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
Maybe some chicken thighs or quorn chicken style pieces, red, yellow and green peppers, onion, and whatever spicy fajita mixes you have, bung in some beans along with a bit of stock or tinned chopped tomatoes?? (I'm just thinking aloud here!) I know I'd eat it!

pandora

finding my way again !
Nom nom , lots of possibilities then , gosh we will be eating tasty stuff , whether pre or post op :)

Montana

Here's a couple more for you:

Smoked Haddock with eggs (serves 4)
25g butter or marg (could do this with the fry light spray instead to save calories!)
700g smoked haddock in four equal pieces
90ml skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
90ml water
freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs

1. Butter the inside of the slow cooker and pre-heat on high
2. Arrange haddock pieces in the slow cooker and pour over enough milk and water to cover. Season with pepper.
3. Cook on low for 2 hours.
4. Crack the eggs over the fish and continue to cook on low for a futher hour.
5. Serve :)

Baked cheese onions
4 large onions
100g low fat mature cheddar
50g fresh breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
150ml hot vegetable stock

1. Preheat the slow cooker on high
2. Peel the onions and cut the base flat so that they stand upright. Place in a pan, cover with water, bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes. Drain well and remove the cores. Chop cores finely.
3. Mix together the cheese, breadcrumbs and chopped cores. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff the centres of the onions with the mixture pressing down firmly. Stand the onions in the slow cooker and pour over the stock.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
5. Serve as a side dish or a main course with salad.

H xx