• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So glad I found this forum.

Its4john

Hi forum, I’m so glad I found you :)

I’m male aged 55. I’ve never worried about my weight until this past year when I started to realise how much I hated to look in a mirror and see my beer belly.

I’ve had phases where I try to eat healthier but within days I am back to my old self just eating when ever and what ever I want.

My BMI is 32-33 and the research I have done suggests plication is the way to go.

Today I made the call to one of the big advertisers here in the UK.

What struck me then, and also reading this forum is the hard work and strict eating regimes both before and after the OP.

My mind is asking that, if I need to follow a strict regime, how will I manage that if I’m unable to do it now? There are some amazing success stories on this forum but I need to understand how people manage a new lifestyle post op but couldn’t do it before they started the journey.

It has been stressed to me how important it is to follow the nutritional advice after the op but how do people manage if they have surgery abroad when it seems this post op support is not part of the package?

Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit, maybe I should have found a different section to post this !

JB

Hello and welcome!

Can I ask why you're considering just the pilication? Experience, albeit mostly on here, tells me it tends to not be very successful.

Have a look at some of the pilication threads for an insight.

Post op nutrition compliance is vital, whichever op you have and where ever you have it, if you want to be successful.

I had surgery abroad and what keeps me compliant now is first the fear of harming myself by not following a programme. Then as I'm successful seeing the weight drop I want that to continue. The high cost monetary and emotionally also plays a part in my compliance. I need to succeed otherwise this was a large waste. I had a sleeve and this has taken away physical hunger. I still get head hunger which is hard to battle but that's something I'm working on controlling.

Hi forum, I’m so glad I found you :)

I’m male aged 55. I’ve never worried about my weight until this past year when I started to realise how much I hated to look in a mirror and see my beer belly.

I’ve had phases where I try to eat healthier but within days I am back to my old self just eating when ever and what ever I want.

My BMI is 32-33 and the research I have done suggests plication is the way to go.

Today I made the call to one of the big advertisers here in the UK.

What struck me then, and also reading this forum is the hard work and strict eating regimes both before and after the OP.

My mind is asking that, if I need to follow a strict regime, how will I manage that if I’m unable to do it now? There are some amazing success stories on this forum but I need to understand how people manage a new lifestyle post op but couldn’t do it before they started the journey.

It has been stressed to me how important it is to follow the nutritional advice after the op but how do people manage if they have surgery abroad when it seems this post op support is not part of the package?

Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit, maybe I should have found a different section to post this !

JB
Hi John, welcome to the site, I’m afraid I cannot comment on your choice of surgery but as far as the compliance before and after, well pre op I think we comply because we are so desperate to have the tool we need, post op, I’m only 7 weeks so it’s early days and I’m sure it will get harder, at the moment it’s a number of things that keep me on the straight and narrow...fear of dumping which is more common with a bypass especially if to much fat or sugar is consumed, fear of stretching the pouch, fear of failure, it’s to good an opportunity to fail, the rewards definitely help, buying smaller clothes, friends comments (although some people don’t like the comments) being able to eat a fraction of what “we” would normally eat really helps and the fact that high protein is important also helps as you understand that the small amount you eat must be nutritious. I haven’t struggled yet but I’m definitely expecting that to happen. One interesting fact I learned when I attended my MDT was that 10 years post gastric bypass 1/3 of people have gained all their weight. This just reinforces the fact that it’s only a tool and we must work with it if we don’t want to fail and working with it means compliance all the time. It’s a really good question John and I think it’s really sensible to ask. Good luck, keep in touch

Thank you so much for the replies.

Mazza, I looked at Plication because the info I found online suggests I would not qualify for any others due to them needing a BMI of 35 plus, which begs the question, if I’m a private patient, what is the reason for a restriction on BMI’s?

SlimKim, I admire your bravery having it done abroad. Did the treatment include post op support with your new dietary routines or did you take care of that yourself ? Does the sleeve take away physical hunger permanently?

Bling Babe, what is dumping ?
I’m shocked to hear 1/3 of people put all the weight back on at 10 years. I wonder if the other 2/3 where completely successful or have they regained weight but just not quite all of it ?

You all might have guessed by now I’m an old cynical bugger lol. All of my life if I need to do something, I automatically think of ways not to do it, but every day now I look at myself in the bathroom mirror and I really hate what I see.

I want to ask you and any others reading this, if you were to follow the dietary lifestyle you do now, but without having had your surgery, would you still have control of your weight?
Is the surgery an essential tool? Or is it just a subconscious “expensive crutch” that keeps you going so as not to admit the expensive, major event was pointless ?

My ex wife has a serious weight problem. Her attitude to life was “I’m fat and happy, so get over it”
I loved her for that but one day she decided to join weight watchers. She lost a lot of weight in the first week, then the second, and third etc etc. She became obsessed with her diet. She was the first person in our county to reach the 100lb loss and the local press where there when she was given her lifetime gold badge.
Shortly after that she changed. Because of her success she thought that being in control meant that she could allow herself just the one bacon butty, maybe the odd pizza or burger.
In the blink of an eye she had put all of the weight back on (and more).

Whatever her ‘crutch’ was, is it the same as surgery?

What I’m trying to say is, is it the physical surgery enabling weight loss or is it just another psychological kick up the arse helping you out before you start thinking “just the one bacon butty can’t hurt”

Mazza, I looked at Plication because the info I found online suggests I would not qualify for any others due to them needing a BMI of 35 plus, which begs the question, if I’m a private patient, what is the reason for a restriction on BMI’s?

SlimKim, I admire your bravery having it done abroad. Did the treatment include post op support with your new dietary routines or did you take care of that yourself ? Does the sleeve take away physical hunger permanently?

I’m shocked to hear 1/3 of people put all the weight back on at 10 years. I wonder if the other 2/3 where completely successful or have they regained weight but just not quite all of it ?

You all might have guessed by now I’m an old cynical bugger lol. All of my life if I need to do something, I automatically think of ways not to do it, but every day now I look at myself in the bathroom mirror and I really hate what I see.

I want to ask you and any others reading this, if you were to follow the dietary lifestyle you do now, but without having had your surgery, would you still have control of your weight?
Is the surgery an essential tool? Or is it just a subconscious “expensive crutch” that keeps you going so as not to admit the expensive, major event was pointless ?

My ex wife has a serious weight problem. Her attitude to life was “I’m fat and happy, so get over it”
I loved her for that but one day she decided to join weight watchers. She lost a lot of weight in the first week, then the second, and third etc etc. She became obsessed with her diet. She was the first person in our county to reach the 100lb loss and the local press where there when she was given her lifetime gold badge.
Shortly after that she changed. Because of her success she thought that being in control meant that she could allow herself just the one bacon butty, maybe the odd pizza or burger.

What I’m trying to say is, is it the physical surgery enabling weight loss or is it just another psychological kick up the arse helping you out before you start thinking “just the one bacon butty can’t hurt”
Some good questions there John, dumping is usually worse in bypass patients although some sleevers have expienced it, it is usually caused by eat food to high in fat and/or sugar and the symptoms vary but can include; headache, Abdo pain, light headed, fainting, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, diarrhoea, it’s caused by the food reaching the small bowl to quickly I believe.
The other point you raise about would we still lose weight if we followed the rules without surgery, in my opinion yes we would but we all know how hard it is to maintain that type of eating plan, wls is only a tool, we absolutely must work with our tool, the fact that it only allows us to eat a small quantity of food is the biggest help so I believe it is an essential tool in my opinion, however it is possible to stretch the pouch (gastric bypass) and I believe the sleeve too by eating to much or drinking fizzy drinks, once it’s stretched I guess there’s no going back.
I would guess that each and every one of us on this forum have done exactly what your ex wife done, maintaining is the most difficult part and my understanding is as time goes on we could easily gain at least some of our weight, it really is lifelong commitment and that really can’t be underestimated. Hope this is of some me help to you.
Take care

Blings said it all there really. I don't know about plication as I had a sleeve but I'm 3 weeks out and I've noticed the positive effects of restriction. Having such a dramatically smaller capacity really does help as it stops you going ott. I'd not have been able to follow this eating regime without it. My minds weak at times but the sleeve reinforces me when it is. I feel so full so quickly I couldn't dream of eating what I used to. That said though surgery isn't for everyone and loads of people manage to lose without it. It's personal preference. You know yourself better than anyone does.
I had my surgery in the UK but went private and I must admit the support is a lot less than on NHS. This site's invaluable though. Most of the info I've learned is from here. Cost wise I think it's cheaper in Europe and I kicked myself for not thinking of it!

I’m a prime example of a yo-yo dieter 2 years ago got to size 6-8 now I’m back up to a 20! Just can’t maintain my weight at all

Weak willed a bit like your partner with that bacon sandwich. For me I need that surgery to stop that weakness. I know I will still have to work at it but the overeating huge portions hopefully will be a thing of the past

These pictures 2 years ago running my ponies and the last now!!

Attachments

• 3E3146C8-AB21-4963-BEB1-5291DA2E0ECD.jpeg
    3E3146C8-AB21-4963-BEB1-5291DA2E0ECD.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 15
  • BD23E0B9-9886-41DF-A4EF-DA0B80E5A122.jpeg
    BD23E0B9-9886-41DF-A4EF-DA0B80E5A122.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 13
  • B7913EB5-19E3-4976-AAD2-77ED136DA52E.jpeg
    B7913EB5-19E3-4976-AAD2-77ED136DA52E.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 13
Elias, thanks, v good explanation. Only 3 weeks ? how are you feeling ? My business involves some heavy lifting and I'm wondering how long I'd need to close down for.

Irene44, best wishes for July. I'll be looking out for your updates ;-)

Mmm, I'm reading better thinks about the sleeve compared to the plication. The places I have found say a BMI over 35 is required for the sleeve. Mine is 32-33. I'd be going private but I'd still need to be 7-8kg heavier. Can anyone tell what I'm thinking ??

Elias, thanks, v good explanation. Only 3 weeks ? how are you feeling ? My business involves some heavy lifting and I'm wondering how long I'd need to close down for.

Irene44, best wishes for July. I'll be looking out for your updates ;-)

Mmm, I'm reading better thinks about the sleeve compared to the plication. The places I have found say a BMI over 35 is required for the sleeve. Mine is 32-33. I'd be going private but I'd still need to be 7-8kg heavier. Can anyone tell what I'm thinking ??

Hmmm I just squeezed in as I have health issues I’m privately self funding bypass It’s a lot for you in to get 36 x

Hmmm I just squeezed in as I have health issues I’m privately self funding bypass It’s a lot for you in to get 36 x
Ps if that’s what your thinking

Very interesting reading John.
I am just at the beginning of the journey so I don't have a lot of experience or information for you,but what I would say is that surgery will only be a tool to help you lose the weight.
I have tried all diets possible and like lots of us, can lose the weight but unable to maintain it, so eventually it all goes back on and a little bit more for good measure.
I have chosen the gastric sleeve, for several reasons which are; they remove part of the stomach that contains the hunger hormone so automatically you dont feel so hungry, they remove up to 75% of your stomach which means you can't physically eat as much, it's done laparoscopic so easier, safer and quicker recovery, although I have read a couple of unsuccessful stories but the majority are brilliantly successful.
I feel it's right for me, I will stick to the pre op diet because it shrinks the liver making surgery safer, and why would anyone put themselves at risk? After the surgery I will be on liquids then purée then soft and then introducing solids slowly, so my hope is that 12-24 months down the line I will be able to eat meals but in much smaller qualities, on top of exceriseing I feel I will be healthier and reducing pretential illness in the future.
Most importantly I want to see my 14 year old daughter grow up.

Whatever you decide I wish you well.
Regards
Jules

Back