• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

so what about drinking with a gastric bypass

brad scott

hey all just a quick question im 5 weeks post op and i was just wondering about alcohol its my mates 30 bday party in 2 months and i know u cant drink anything fizzy like cider pop etc but what about spirts i e vodka stuff like that can u never ever get drunk again i was never a big drinker but i went out with my mates once in a while just a thought
brad xx

Im going to a wedding and taking light cranberry juice with me!It looks like a rose in a wine glass!Vodka and cranberry or Malibu and pineapple,very girly drinks though!You will get drunker faster so drink sensibly!

Just avoid ther fizzy stuff, and large ones!! I'm tiddly on one pub measure these days. Also it might be worth trying a drink at home first and see how you react to it

I agree with daftmoo, also a white wine spritzer goes down quite nice, or a nice rose spritzed. I agree it is so easy to get tiddly nowadays xx

I had my bypass in April last year and went on my hols in the June and as it was all inclusive I was going to make the most of it as I couldn't eat the food ;) I had vodka n cokes with loads of ice and had no problems at all not even feeling tippsy even after around 5 and the measures in Turkey are very generous but I then had a glass wine and was on my back, and even now over a year out wine effects me really badly in that if I have say 3 glasses you would think I've had 3 bottles :(

My advise would be to wait untill the week before and try a spirit and see how ur body reacts to it but be very very carful, I was told by my team that I should wait untill 12 months after

I was told there isnt a time limit but be careful as it will effect you quicker, also to try and stir out any bubbles if you can, but the main one was be careful as it can cause dumping! try it at home first!

Hi Brad . . . firstly thanks for your advice pre op - I am now on the losers bench and making a great recovery. As for alcohol - I checked this with my team earlier today.

There are golden rules ;

· No fizzy drinks (just yet) – try real ale or red wine;
· be careful not to substitute on addiction for another (beer for food);
· drink only after food intake and
· remember you get pi**ed on much less and much quicker (but also the reverse is true so be warned about the early possibility of a hangover !)
K

yup cheap date now :D
just take it slowly and as others have said i would advise 'home testing' first lol

I drink Vodka and orange now , i get drunk a little quicker than before , and i dont dump so im fine with the orange hth x

cheers guys for the advice im quite lucky as ive never been a pint drinker vodka has always been my drink but with pineapple juice and i dont dump on that which is great news for me
brad xx

Back