• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So who knows u have had WLS done?

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Do u tell anyone who asks or keep it under wraps??

I'm just telling my parents and husband. not telling anyone else as ppl make too many assumptions otherwise. as im having a band my weight loss wont be massive...slow and steady so ill just stay im sticking to the paul mckenna way of eating..ie eat everything but slowly, when hungry and stop when full...which is true!!

I told hardly anyone,
Too many people out there think you've took the easy way out!
And it is certainly not, it takes a lot of hard work and effort.
But sooo worth it x

I tell most people eventually, I'm not ashamed. People will think whatever they want it cant hurt me xx

I was the same, only told close family and one friend. I've told people I'm sticking to a 'diet' but to be honest even though I've lost just over 2 stone this year, people haven't commented too much on my weight, it's not coming off so quickly that people think it's strange. I'm happy with my decision not to tell, mainly because I'm sure that I would have had a few negative comments about taking the easy way out - and it's anything but that! Good luck with everything x

If anyone asks I will tell them,Im not bothered one way or the other.I did this for me,and to ensure I am healthy if my husbands health takes a dip again.Im no good to anyone ill and overweight least of all myself.

Hi Magic, I would just go with how you feel, it's an individual thing and as you go through your wls you may feel more like discussing it...

There are no set rules and it's all about 'Choices' which has to be led by how you feel.

I've told who I wanted to know and still don't say what I don't want to say to anyone I don't want to discuss it with, that's my choice Angel.

Good luck in every way... Love and hugs xxx

I'll tell anyone who'll listen and now that I'm getting comments about how much better I look they all get to hear about my surgery too.

I'm 42, I've spent my life fighting my weight and yoyoed for the last 25 years, I've tried to do it by myself and losing weight was never a problem when my mind was in the right place - but keeping it off I've never been able to do!!!

I'm proud that I've faced up to the fact that I need help and I've got it.

I'm not planning on telling anyone if they ask not because im ashamed or embarrassed but i know everyone i know is against wls from past conversations and overhearing such crap and i dont want to have to defend myself to such small minded people, ive already told my parents and 2 of my aunts only my aunts as they have also had wls one had a band in 06 and the other had a bypass in 07 so wanted to hear their veiws and experiences on their surgeries, ive also told my brother and my sister in law. but thats everyone, i did tell a friend who is no longer a friend as when i told her i was accepted for funding and was going ahead she decided to go for it too, and i completly backed her all the way, but when she got refused she became very nasty and decided i was absoloutly crazy (among other interesting names) for doing this, so i decided to part ways with our friendship!

I think it entirely depends on your family/friendship situation, ive realised it can only go one of two ways, theyre over the moon for you, or they become resentful/nasty... those people are the people not worth being around, its a real test of friendship and shows whos really ready to stand by you... :)

So long story short (heehe i dont half ramble on :D) just my parents, brother his wife, and my aunts and i plan on telling nobody else :D :D

xx

I have only told my husband mum and step dad, everyone else that has found out I have had an op and work I have told I had investigative abdoniminal surgery I even told the children this they are 10 and 13 and dont need to be told any different

Well done Everyone, it's an individual choice, what ever is right for you has to be the best way.

Love you all xxx

a mixed bag then hey!

part of me doesnt wana say anything cos im always telling ppl, ooh im getting a personal trainer, or i am back on WW....and then they ask a few weeks later when ive fallen off the wagon what happened....which is embarrasing!! and with the band there will be ppl who think i will be melting off fat just because im breathing!! haha.....not till u research it u realise its a lot more hard work then eating burgers and choc and just having WLS do all the work!

secondly...ppl do think u r a failure for going down this route....quite the opposite in my opinion....u r taking a step forward and doing something that u know will make a difference..someone on here has a siggy with albert einsteins saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results! cant keep doing WW and think it will work this time. also was reading a stastic that obese ppl who diet/excercise/xenical of these ppl only 10% will lose weight and keep it off. with WLS 95% manage to lose weight and keep it off.

noone wants to be obese...it doesnt feel good and certainely isnt good for u....so at least we are making the right choices to get to goal instead of hoping that diet numer 5623 works!

I agree, who you tell is a highly personal thing....only a couple of very close friends & immediate family know that I have had WLS...I haven't told people for many reasons: because I am bl**dy ashamed that I got so fat & that I eventually had to accept the only way I would get it off was with WLS, & part of that process was accepting that I got fat because I was lazy/greedy/both & not due to a medical reason....because my work environment means I am in constant contact with many clinicians who are both judgemental and fattest....because I don't want the additional pressure of people commenting if I'm having a stall...there are loads of reasons but these are my top three. If any individual has a safe environment/circle of close friends/family that you can tell, then I think that's great xxx

Apart from you lot on here only my other half knows, my dear mum who passed away just over a year ago and helped me pay for the op knew too but thats it!

My 8 year old daughter knows that I have had an operation that means I cant eat very much and that there are somethings I can't eat at all. She has also met Rache, a fellow bander and knows we have had the same operation.

Its a very personal decision to tell or not to tell and to be honest I have only had a handful of people comment on my weight loss! x

I told the world and his wife.
I've even put it on ebay as the reason I'm selling stuff.
But I don't advertise it on face book (not sure why not :confused:)
I have never had any negativity but that may be because of the way I come across (I take no prisoners) It was my choice, not theirs and I will tell them the reasons if they want to know.
In fact when I have told people ,they usually know someone who has also had it done

Pre op I only told close family, and 2 friends. Now though most people I meet know! I'm of the opinion that I have an illness called obesity and have been given a pair of crutches! I wouldn't /couldn't hide a broken leg so I now wont hide the fact I had wls! But thats me. Horses for courses and all that!!!!!!!!

well I have told my close family.
mum, dad, partner, brother and sister in law...i have told a select friend who i think i can trust.
my son (6) knows I am having an operation...but he also knows how poorly I get with the diabetes....so he thinks the operation will make mummy better(awww)
my daughter ,who is 10 I have sat down and explained everything...she has even met a friend on here (who put her mind at rest)
I know she wont say anything to anyone and she knows she can speak openly about her concerns to me and my close family.
I will be saying I am having an operation to help with my diabetes to those who I don't feel the need to explain my surgery...
However if I am asked outright, I refuse to lie about it...

Personally for me,if I get negativity I point out the cost of my insulin(and other prescriptions) and diabetic care per month.

good luck with what you choice to do. x

It's a difficult one isn't it.

I had a gastric balloon - told only a very few - and ended up feeling guilty when I got all the praise (I lost 12 stone over year).(Put it back on over 2 years)

This time I told the whole world so I wouldn't feel bad when I got praised - and proceeded to not lose any weight at all. So I have spent nine months explaining that it hasn't worked for me - when I really should be saying I haven't worked it.

If I could go back I wouldn't have announced it - but would have told people if it had been successful

until i got my finalised surgery date the only people who knew were my immediate family and my "core" group of best friends.
Once i got my surgery date...I made a facebook group! haha i did it this way so i could detail on there exactly what I had been doing the past year leading up to this point and why....and I am lucky in that I have not had one bad response from anyone i know since then and everyone has been hugely supportive and pleased for me :)

it also meant most of my friends asked me any questions they had and i was able to explain things to them that they didn't know about it and a number of them read through a lot of my handouts from the hospital too and said they never realised how much was involved after the op where food was concerned (the do's and don'ts)

Now my weight is no longer a tough and emotional subject for me and i don't care who knows how i lost the weight...and my Bypass journey even "inspired" 2 other people i work with to get Gastric bands themselves and tackle their own problems.

Nearly everyone in the world knows about mine!

I work for a small local authority, in quite a public role, so people quickly started asking questions. When I heard the rumour that I had cancer I just became more open about it.

I'm not ashamed of it - I'm really happy with my outcomes and I do like to talk about it! ;)

Back