• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Some Britons Would Prefer Weight-Loss Surgery To Diet And Exercise

i must say i thought it would be ALOT easier than it is! it is still easier for me than following a diet as such - especially the fact i dump so i know i cant eat sugary things! but it still is harder than i first thought. i know my pct fund boobs lifts and tummy tucks (my gp has already said he will help if i need him 2) but i go to the gym 6 times a weeks to try and work with this tool as much as i can.. partly to show people i still do have to work with this and NOTHING will do it for me! x

I just feel that how I am now, is how I SHOULD have always been. I was always so amazingly hungry and watched what I ate all the time (well, most of the time). I used to see my friends picking at a lunch or a cake and I was so jealous as I could have eaten the lunch, the cake and my friends! Now I eat to live instead of live to eat.

I think that anyone who had actually looked into surgery would never consider this to be the 'easy' option. We've taken this route to ensure we eat healthily.

I wonder if they polled the same people and asked them what they knew about WLS what the % would be?

I hate this "easy option" mentality, let them walk a mile in a morbidly obese persons shoes (if they are able to walk, Im not) and then have WLS....see what they think then x

Well all I can say is that I tried all of the other stuff first. I don't know anyone who went straight for the operation without trying every diet first.

A lot of us would find it much easier to exercise if we weren't stared or pointed at when we go to the swimming baths etc.

A collegue of my Mother's recently went to the swimming pool and was asked to leave as he was "scaring" the other swimmers. This is a man who is doing everything he can to lose weight but then is kicked out of the pool because of other people's prejudices!!!

It's only the "easy option" for the peeps who haven't had the op;)
All the rest of us know the work involved, and that it's a total new way of life, and isn't as easy as peeps think:D:D

I think the problem with me was I physically couldn't exercise..the op has given me assistance to be in a position to be able to exercise and eat sensible portions. I didn't have a hope in hell before it. I wish with all my heart that I could have somehow made a start without the operation but I'm grateful it gave me a shove in the right direction.
As for easy? HUH!!!! It's not been at all easy.

I have this conversation all the time.... how its the 'easy' option.... or its 'cheating'???? - how can anyone say this?? - I have spent 30 years trying to acheive and maintain a healthy weight - each time, gaining twice as much as I had started with!!! - I try to explain to these people, that until they have tried to carry around double their healthy body weight + extra!.... please do not say I will be 'cheating' by going for WLS..... I will do ANYTHING humanly possible to shift this weight AND keep it off....... 'cheating' indeed - 'easy' option??... hahaha! - where do these people get their ideas from??

I have this conversation all the time.... how its the 'easy' option.... or its 'cheating'???? - how can anyone say this?? - I have spent 30 years trying to acheive and maintain a healthy weight - each time, gaining twice as much as I had started with!!! - I try to explain to these people, that until they have tried to carry around double their healthy body weight + extra!.... please do not say I will be 'cheating' by going for WLS..... I will do ANYTHING humanly possible to shift this weight AND keep it off....... 'cheating' indeed - 'easy' option??... hahaha! - where do these people get their ideas from??

Exactly! It has got to be pure ignorance. Most people who said they'd have lipo are prob a size ten and it's just vanity and the 26% who want a bypass probably have a weight problem and feel it's their only option. If not then they'd have to be loopy to want a bypass just to shift 2st!

There's nothing easy about the chance of dying on an operating table, about facing possible complications, of never being able to eat a full meal or eat and drink at same time.
etc etc etc. For me it's been the hardest decision I've had to make in life so far.

A collegue of my Mother's recently went to the swimming pool and was asked to leave as he was "scaring" the other swimmers. This is a man who is doing everything he can to lose weight but then is kicked out of the pool because of other people's prejudices!!!
:mad::(That is utterly disgusting to be treated like that,that poor guy must have felt so humiliated.

It certainly is a last resort method of trying to get the weight off after struggling for many years in most cases,hating yourself,feeling humiliated etc etc,its a glimmer of hope at the end of a very dark tunnel,not to be taken easily at all.Plus still alot of hard work to be done as well.

This mentality is exactly the reason why sooo few people know about me wanting surgery. Its not because I'm ashamed but because I've never ever had anything easy in my life!!! I've worked hard for everything, including weight loss but that is the one failure in my life!! Not being able to lose the weight.
I'm terrified of needles, hospitals, vomiting & having a camera rammed down my throat. But on my quest to lose weight I'm going to have to face all of these things & believe me its not easy just thinking about it never mind doing it.

Surgery is really the last thing anyone wants but we have exhausted everything eles.
People can be so nasty!:wave_cry:

Its easy for somebody to make these comments when there not walking round with another human being strapped to there backs day in day out. To stand out from the crowd to be at peoples jokes. To feel like poo most of the time and self conscious. Its a shame we can't trade places with these people for a day.
Plus he said we'd rather have the op than go to the gym once a week. Then at the bottom states we'd need to go the gym 5 times a week, make your mind up. Really annoys me, its not the easy way out, its the only way out.

I would love to be able to go swimming without feeling really embarrassed. I feel for this guy so much, the fact that he was brave enough in the first place, what a horrid thing to happen.

I would like to see swimming pools open for a special session for those of us who are morbidly obese and then we wouldnt be so embarrased as everyone would be in the same situation. I know that pools have quiet times, I would go to something like this would you?

Back