• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Some post bypass questions

wobbles

Hi folks, i'm a little confused about some things and have some questions if you're able to spare a few minutes.

1. What causes dumping, is it high sugar, or high fat content?

2. Are we sticking to low fat food because of dumping, or because we're trying to lose weight?

3. What constitutes high sugar? how many grams of sugar per meal or day should i be sticking to?

4. How many grams or calories of fat per day or week do you follow?

5. What causes a blockage..is it food that gets stuck as it's trying to go from the pouch into the new intestine opening? Will it be something that is always an issue or just whilst recovering?

6. Do you have to eat really slowly for the rest of your life, which means each meal goes cold before you've had enough? or does it get better with time?

7. at the stage i'm in, i've read that my meal portions should be increasing. I'm having some emotional problems at the moment, which means i'm not eating at all, so does that mean my pouch isn't expanding, allowing my portion sizes to increase sufficiently?

8. What causes dumping and blockages for YOU?

Thank you guys. One thing i wish i'd have had was a chat to the dietician before leaving hospital. This was not offered as part of the service, which is why i have so many questions and confusion. I don't see her until december 1st.
Sorry for sounding so clueless.

Hi folks, i'm a little confused about some things and have some questions if you're able to spare a few minutes.

As I understand it - sugar

2. Are we sticking to low fat food because of dumping, or because we're trying to lose weight?

As I understand it the bypassed gut cannot digest fat properly so some of it passes through undigested. You can guess the consequenses if you eat a lot of fat.

3. What constitutes high sugar? how many grams of sugar per meal or day should i be sticking to?

Don't know.

Don't know but as I'm not eating much I don't think it applies to me - at the moment.

5. What causes a blockage..is it food that gets stuck as it's trying to go from the pouch into the new intestine opening? Will it be something that is always an issue or just whilst recovering?

Yes and yes but less so.

6. Do you have to eat really slowly for the rest of your life, which means each meal goes cold before you've had enough? or does it get better with time?

I have always eaten slowly but as I understand it you must CHEW, chew and chew so more, but does get better with time.

7. at the stage i'm in, i've read that my meal portions should be increasing. I'm having some emotional problems at the moment, which means i'm not eating at all, so does that mean my pouch isn't expanding, allowing my portion sizes to increase sufficiently?

As I understand it your pouch is a muscle and all muscles need exercising.

Don't know yet but, as I understand it you can dump on something one day and not the next so saying chocolate will always cause dumping isn't accurate.
Common blockages is bread, red meat and anything else insuffiantly chewed.

Thank you guys. One thing i wish i'd have had was a chat to the dietician before leaving hospital. This was not offered as part of the service, which is why i have so many questions and confusion. I don't see her until december 1st.
Sorry for sounding so clueless

Last edited:

I was told to avoid both high sugar and high fat content as either can make you dump.

Again the high fat foods can cause the dumping and because you can no longer absorb the fat in the same way it will give you an upset tum. also the weight loss i suppose is a factor as we are more liekly to see better results eating the lower fat foods.

I think i read in the stuff they gave me under 14g. i however try to stick below 8g as i have found anything more does start to give me some unwanted symptoms.

Again i try to stick under 8g of fate per meal. i think the information they gave me again says 14g but i just play it safe to be honest. i don't count calories as i know my daily intake is well below the expected daily amount for a woman.

I get the blockages when i eat to quickly or eat to much. it seems to be when i don't chew things enough or give it time to move into my pouch before continuing eating. i suspect that this will always be the case and i certainly continue to get it if i'm not careful.

i still have to eat slowly as if i don't i get the blockage feeling. i suspect again that this will always be the case.

I have to say that my meal portions have not increased significantly at all. i still only manage a couple of spoonfuls really sometimes a bit more depending what it is. you need to make a concious effort to eat for your own health and well being hun. the pouch will stretch over time.

i have found that pasta, meat and bread cause that blockage feeling. i have only had a couple of episodes of dumping and that has been after either popcorn or pizza!!! oops not good food choices eh!! everyone is different so i guess it's just about testing things out.

Your not clueless hun, i did meet with the dietitian and still had no bloody idea. my suggestion is just to try things out and see how they go.

i hope things settle down for you emotionally and you NEED to eat. (lecture over) Ha Ha xx

Hi Wobbles/Tammy thanks for the questions and the answers found it very informative. Wobbles I agree you need to eat your body needs the fuel to repair the damage that has been done....xx

High sugar, high fat, high refined carbs (as refined carbs and fat are both broken down into sugars)

Both :)

The guidelines I was given was no more than 14g of either per serving. Talking to the girls today they had both been told no more than 5g of either per 100g, which is easier to work out :)

I don't count either, it would make it feel to restrictive for me.

It can always be an issue, but it's not a common problem. If you take small bites and chew properly you should be fine.

It gets better with time, although you will have to chew properly for the rest of your life.

Your pouch wouldn't be expanding now, what happens is the swelling reduces which enables you to eat more.

High fat and carbs for me, but sugar too. A pack of wotsits makes me dump slightly. Only had one blockage, which was a small amount of steamed tuna steak, which I have had other times and been fine with.

Erin you need to be eating, you are still healing and need the food to help you do that. Please try hun, and if you need to talk please shout x

HI.

Just to explain what dumping is!

Dumping syndrome occurs because sugar is usually absorbed in the duodenum which is now bypassed! The sugar will enter the jejunum or the ileum that are not used to absorbing simple sugars. When your body senses the sugar level rising, it dumps insulin to handle the load. This then dramatically lowers available blood sugar. Symptoms include cramps, nausea, palpitations, and Diarrhoea! Not a very nice feeling at all.

I personally do not go over 14g of sugar in the "total meal" I am eating. Some people tolerate more, some less. I found this figure in a post WLS cookbook. I have not experienced dumping by sticking to less than 14g.

The fat thing like was said before, is because we cannot digest it, plus we are trying to lose weight, and a large amount of fat is no good for you anyway!

I dont count the calories I am eating, but read somewhere that we should eventually aim for 800-1200 cals a day.

So important to chew. You will find out what happens if you dont chew to a liquid consistency before swallowing! Its happened to me, and oh its uncomfortable. My little pouch contracted for about 30 mins! Was very uncomfortable, and resulted in me having to be sick to help myself! Also the eating slowly helps to prevent nausea, and allows you to feel when you are comfortably full!

Your pouch will eventually stretch a little over time, which allows an increased volume of food to be eaten in one go. Or, will stretch a lot if you continually eat until you are uncomfortably full. Its very important to listen to your pouch!

I've dumped on a protein shake, and a well known brand of tomato soup! Felt blocked on a quorn burger, still cant seem to eat them, no matter how much I chew!

Just to say also, I am now lactose intolerant. This can be a common side effect of a bypass also. My symptoms of this are nausea/vomiting and diarrhoea. All not nice, so now avoid dairy/milk products and have unsweetened soya products.

I tend to think of myself as eating like a "low fat vegetarian diabetic lactose intolerant" person!! lol:D Imagine my joy of eating out at a restaurant!! lol

Take care all,

Kel xxxx

Lactose is a sugar, which is why a lot of post op patients become intolerant to it :)

Yes, and found in all milk from mammals and milk products. It is caused by a lack of lactase, a digestive enzyme that breaks down lactose. I was never intolerant before, so hoping its not a permanent situation. Who knows.....

Kel xxx

Thank you ladies. You've all been really helpful.

Things have detoriorated on the emotional front, however, i am trying to eat. Had a really nice lunch yesterday consisting of two rice cakes with a spread of philly, low fat cheese, avocado, roast chicken meat and tomato. It was so very nice, and i felt more satisfied in my pouch than i ever have. I handled it well, and felt comfortably full at the end. Looking forward to trying more things.

Well done on the eating front, we need food to help our emotional states as well as maintaining a healthy body, your eating the right things chick...xx

Glad you're eating Erin.

My offer still stands, always here if you want to talk, be it email, msn or phone. Please just say, am worried about you :hug99:

Hi Wobbles, it is hard to think about your health when you have emotional stress. I am sorry that it has been so tough for you but you will soon start to feel physically more like yourself which might :) just help with the emotional wellness. I am also around pretty much all the time so PM me if you want to chat. Sometimes just saying how you feel helps relieve the stress. You can do that here (everyone here are so supportive and know about the struggles) or reach out to others in private. But do take advantage of the help offered from somebody. And make your number one job to take care of you, you must eat, drink and sleep enough to heal.

Feel well and big hugs :patback::hug99:

Back