• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food questions - dumping, spices etc

TiaLi

I'm preparing recipe ideas etc for my new life, and the period straight after surgery. I have done lots of research on post-op diets, read lots of diaries etc, so I feel fairly well-educated when it comes to do's, don'ts and what to expect. I do have two questions however, where I'd love to hear from those of you already on the loser's bench:

1. Does the food need to be bland in the initial stages after surgery? I want to prepare some soups etc to freeze, and just realised that I'm not sure about this. Will the pouch have difficulties handling things like onions (in blended soups, for flavour) and spices?

2. What do YOU dump on (or can't handle in general)? I'm obviously aware that high-sugar items are much more likely to cause dumping, but reading through diaries it seems that it is sometimes very random what people actually can't handle. I know this tends to differ from person to person, but it would be interesting to hear from as many of you as possible what your particular "no go" foods are. I'm especially interested in non-meat products.

Thanks for your help! :)

Hi

I wouldn't say that soup etc after surgery needs to be bland but I wouldn't use a lot of spices for a while as your pouch will be inflamed and sore and needs to heal, so you don't want anything to irritate it.

I used homemade vegetable soup, but also pots of soup from Waitrose that I blended - I think I had tomato and red pepper with Wensleydale, a chicken, ham hock & leek and I think I had a cauliflower cheese one too! So none of those were bland! I added 1 oz grated cheddar to about 200ml soup to up the protein content.

For dumping it really is an individual thing and I was very scared about it to begin with - I didn't want to try new things or go out to eat in case I dumped. However, you need to push yourself out of your comfort Zone otherwise you would never do anything!

For me I haven't dumped fully but I haven't pushed sugar levels, I seem to be ok with about 7or 8 g sugar but not tried higher than that. I did have hot flushes and then crash out (sleep) for about 2 hours after some tuna mayo made with normal mayonnaise, so I assume that caused it. It really is a personal learning curve.

Other people who have dumped more might be able to tell you what symptoms they had and what caused it.

Hi

I think its important to experiment with spices etc, especially in the early days. You can really go off certain things, with no apparent rhyme or reason what or why?!

I'm five months post sleeve and have only just been able to stomach a cup of tea again, which I loved pre op.

Why not try bland with a view to adding seasoning if you fancy some?

I have had episodes of dumping on ice cream, maltesers and baked beans of all things. Lots of things have hidden sugars which you might be sensitive to but as with all things, everyone is different.

I have been able to manage everything, just in very small amounts. I get very full quickly on eggs and fish in particular.

Thanks @Hannah2 and @Mazza !

It's interesting what you say about the tea, Mazza, I heard someone else mention that their taste has changed quite a lot post-surgery as well. Oh how great it would be if I all of a sudden started hating the thought of crisps! ;)

Back