• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Some questions!!

NT1977

Sorry if these sound silly but I would welcome some honest answers!

1 - can you see the port under your skin? Can you feel you have something inside? Is it a strange sensation?

2 - what was you recovery time like after having the band?

3 - can you exercise with the band in? How long post op before you could?

4 - did you tell people about the band?

5 - do any of you have any wise words/tips about making this work?! Helping skin?

6 - what factors made you decide who to go with for the operation?

Thank you so much

N x

1 - can you see the port under your skin? Can you feel you have something inside? Is it a strange sensation?

At first it wasn't visible and I couldn't feel it, but I've now lost over 8 stone, it isn't wholly visible but I can feel it. It has actually moved and now catches on my rib cage when I bend over, something that only further surgery can correct.

Mine was quick, I was back to driving a few days after, but back to normal cooking and family stuff the next day. I did have 10 days off work but I was school hols, I would have been ok to go bak after 5-7 days

Yes you can start doing light exercise 2-3 weeks after. My provider encourages people to avoid doing sit ups and ab crunches as it can affect the port and the band and can cause i to slip or indeed the port to move. i

My aunt and son know. No-one else does in my family and neither do they at work.

5 - do any of you have any wise words/tips about making this work?! Helping skin?

Making it work is wholly down to you an you willingness to work with the band and follow the guidelines. To know it is a tool to aid weight loss and not the answer. It isn't easy and takes a lot Of self control and will power.

I went and needed a provider who could offer me a zero % mortality rate due to my fear of anaesthetic. I contacted THG and didn't like their contact or how they were, i read a lot of negative feedback which backed up my own personal thoughts and they weren't the right provider for me (although many people have had good experiences) but the mortality rate was my top priority. I chose healthier weight because of the confidence they gave me in the decision. Their post op care has been excellent

Last edited:
you cant see my port mine is right on the end of my bottom rib so occasionaly i feel it if i lean that way on it
2 - what was you recovery time like after having the band? within a week i was back to normal but within 24 hours of op i wasnt even needing paracetemol so it not to bad

i didnt exersice untill about 6 months post op but i cant see why you cant within a few weeks ask your provider
yes i told everyone

skin will do what its going to do keep it moisterised but personally i dont think much helps depends on the elasticity still in it. my tips would be dont expect to much to fast as u have to build up your restriction, dont expect a miricle cure but if you work with it the band can help alot,
6 - what factors made you decide who to go with for the operation
i was too scared to have the bypass recommended this seem less drastic but im now waiting to have a bypass, listen to what they advise befor deciding the op for you as different ways of eating mean diff ops the right one , that said i dont regret my band x

I'm glad TopKat and MooMoo have given you such full answers as I was reluctant to reply particularly on point 1 as I haven't had a fill yet and during surgery I developed a large haematoma which was still obvious during my post operative consultation two weeks later. The swelling from the haematoma is now gone but the port is clearly visible and I can certainly feel it. My first fill is on Monday so I will ask how normal this is.
As far as recovery was concerned I was pretty well back to normal within a few days and taking my 2 dogs for quite long walks.
With regard to provider,like most people on here, I did a fair amount of research and phoning round. It struck me that there are two issues, the surgeon and hospital, and then the aftercare package. As many of the surgeons work for more than one provider you can choose your surgeon and then find out which providers use him. Although I could have travelled for the surgery which is a one off but I wanted a clinic within reasonable travel time for the subsequent fills and consultations.

Sorry if these sound silly but I would welcome some honest answers!

I had my op on 23rd march. You cant see mine at the moment but I can feel it if I try to with my hand - poke.

For the first 24hrs I slept. It was five days before I didnt need a nap during the day. I drove after seven days and went back to work after two weeks.

Havent tried or been advised yes or no either way.

No. Only mum, partner and his parents and my boss. Im scared of the jut diet?? crit and also like today I had a mouthfull literally of cake nd dont need the judgement.

Ive named mine. It allows me to make the distinction between what I want and what gizmo wants. When he tells me something I listen. We have lost 1st 7lbs.

I use bio oil but I just want to stay moisturised I dont know if it works.

I was nhs so from my given options I went with who gp said had shortest wait.

Thank you so much

N x

Any more questions ask away x

My port and the tubing is clearly visible but I have lost 150lbs. It's a few inches higher than it used to be, as my body shape has changed so much. It doesn't move or feel uncomfortable, stop me from doing anything though.

I had my op on the Saturday and was back at work on the Wednesday. Took about two weeks to feel like my normal self.

I walk rather than exercise and did that immediately after the op. only other activity is heavy gardening. I am not an exerciser :sigh:

Everyone

Be prepared to work with the band, as its a tool rather than a miracle. But the effort is 100% worth it. Eat healthy band friendly food. Make the wrong choices and its never going to work ... But that's the same with any weight loss surgery.

I wanted a surgeon with zero mortality rate, a good aftercare package, reasonable price, and a provider close to where I live ... For ease of fills/checkups etc. Mr Super and THG were the ideal choice for me personally ... :rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide, and please throw your questions at us :)

I can't see the port under my skin. About feeling it: If you mean whether I have the sensation of something being in my abdomen, no I don't. But if you mean whether I can feel it when I am touching my stomach by my hand, then yes, I can feel it with my hand. If I lay on my stomach on a hard surface, it can get uncomfortable but not painful (a bit like if you were laying on a small ball) but if you shift your weight just an inch sideways, you wouldn't feel it. I don't feel it on laying on my stomach on a soft surface (on a bed).

Pretty quick. I was off work for two weeks and I was glad that I was, but after a week I could do most things at home. The second week was just me learning to cope with the liquid phase. Unexpectedly I found the second week of liquid phase quite hard.

I exercise 12 hrs a week (rigorous exercise). I returned to exercising three weeks after the surgery.

Not too many people. My husband and a few others. Once you tell, you can't take it back, so think twice about telling. Some 'friends' reactions were a bit 'unusual'. One friend started crying, telling me that I am being silly and how worried she is about me... Not everyone who you would expect to be supportive is supportive.

Don't have any advice. I was lucky, my skin is fine.

Being constantly on diet without achieving to be slim anyway, health reasons (I had a hip surgery), so I decided that it would be easier on my body if I was slimmer.

I can't see the port under my skin but I am aware of where it is if that makes sense. If I press around the general area I can feel it.

I had my op on a Saturday, home Sunday, driving again by the Friday and back at work on the Monday. I felt 100% 'normal' by two weeks.

Walking is good, as soon as you feel able - littlee and often will help shift the wind. Anything more strenuous - go with what your provider advises. For me swimming, weights etc had to wait until 6 weeks post op.

No - none of their business, lol. The only people who know are my OH and my daughter - oh and you lot on here :D

Have a read of these threads for some tips / advice etc, they worked for me:

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders/147823-newbies-have-gander.html

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders-faqs/135438-post-op-eating-tips.html

Cost, reputation, aftercare and location of etc.

I had my band to control my portions and thats what it does :D

Back