• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Something to get me out and about....(Geocaching)

Nightwitch

Nightwitch to New Witch
Wondering if anyone in here has heard of geocaching?

www.geocaching.com

Best way to describe it is a "treasure hunt" type thing using GPS. Around the globe there are almost 1.4 million geocaches hidden for people to find, many just contain a log book you sign to say you found it (plus you log on the website that you have found it) and other contain trackable items and things to swap and whatnot.

I have never been one to go for a random walk...always needed a purpose to doing something. Well, a friend of mine has been geocaching for YEARS all over the world whenever she goes on holiday, and i was always intrigued and wanted to give it a go...so 3 weeks ago i signed up tot he website and started hunting :D
I love it! I know some of my friends think it is pointless searching for "little boxes" but for me it gives me my purpose and motivation to get out and walk places...did a 7 mile walk around the shoreline near me last week on a cache hunt, did a couple of miles last night too and planning a 5 mile walk on saturday on a geocache route.

Many people who have set these set them up in walks in the country side...4-5 mile type things or more on occasion, have seen an epic 32 mile walk that can be done in 2 halves near me (working toards that one hahaha)...so even if you don't find the caches it gets you out and about for a day.

just thought i would let people know about it :) i enjoy it and am plannign to visit lots of places to walk around and hunt the "little boxes" :)

Last edited:
Hey Mich,

Looking good in Feb 2011!!! :D

Geocaching looks good!!!!!!!!

hey hey
thanks :D It's great what a corset that pulls you in 7" will do hahaha

that sounds a fab idea x

Wondering if anyone in here has heard of geocaching?

www.geocaching.com

just thought i would let people know about it :) i enjoy it and am plannign to visit lots of places to walk around and hunt the "little boxes" :)

Nightwitch,

Ahhhh brilliant post, I have just put a thread up about geocaching,
sorry I didn't see this one before.

I am a geocacher and LOVE it, It has been fantastic for me, as it helped me so much post op!

I would reccomend it to anyone who needs some gentle exercise and enjoys being out doors.
Thanks for post
Jay
xXx

Nightwitch,

Ahhhh brilliant post, I have just put a thread up about geocaching,
sorry I didn't see this one before.

I am a geocacher and LOVE it, It has been fantastic for me, as it helped me so much post op!

I would reccomend it to anyone who needs some gentle exercise and enjoys being out doors.
Thanks for post
Jay
xXx

AWESOME :)
My ID on there is Night_witch hehe

WOW this looks great hubby and i have just spent ages looking the the geocaching site, and we have one over the park at the back of our house so we are going have a look later on...........i cant wait !!
when you sign the book do you sign your user name or your own name x

WOW this looks great hubby and i have just spent ages looking the the geocaching site, and we have one over the park at the back of our house so we are going have a look later on...........i cant wait !!
when you sign the book do you sign your user name or your own name x

usually your Geo Username :)
that way the owner can tally the log up with those who log they found it on the site.

First rule of geocaching....STEALTH!
so the cache's don't get muggled hehehe

Have fun :D

I am on pre-op at the moment and so have no energy but as soon as I am up to it I will give it a go as it sounds fun. I hate pointless walks!!!!!!

well last i went to look for my first cache, we looked high and low could we find ...............no but we wont give up we will be doing more great fun looking though x x

make use of the hints on the log page....some cache setters can be EVIL lol

And at the moment i use the geocache app on my android phone....but i keep going over my monthly net usage (so beware of that), but am looking to pick up a Garmin Etrex (yellow one) from ebay in the next few weeks, they are usually about £70 new but you can pick them up for about £30-40 on ebay if you are lucky

Hi Michelle (FB friend, Becky L here)!:D

I do geocaching too (i must start taking pictures of the cache and treasure like you do), i love the fresh air and views, my youngest loves the treasure and my eldest loves the techie side of it. Suits us all :D:D!!

Hi Michelle (FB friend, Becky L here)!:D

I do geocaching too (i must start taking pictures of the cache and treasure like you do), i love the fresh air and views, my youngest loves the treasure and my eldest loves the techie side of it. Suits us all :D:D!!

hehe fun for all the family.....I'm just a big kid :D
Only been doing it about 3 and half weeks and already have 60 finds lol
One of my friends has been caching for about 7 years tho and has just recently hit her 1000th find

am looking to pick up a Garmin Etrex (yellow one) from ebay in the next few weeks, they are usually about £70 new but you can pick them up for about £30-40 on ebay if you are lucky

We use the Garmin e-trex.

We got it second hand from a friend for £20.

Its a great little GPS! and does a good job of getting us within 10ft of the treasure. Searching is half the fun! there are some crafty, well hidden caches.

Back