• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sooo many questions - scared and seek advice

Beckiboo

Hi guys,

I had a band fitted in 2010 and it needs removing :cry: It’s been a long and painful road.
I am considering having a bypass conversion – however am absolutely terrified of having the same problems as before.
I have so many questions whirling in my head constantly. :confused:
Please can I have some help……………………………………………

1. Are there different types of bypass – RYN etc? If so which one is the best?
2. What is dumping? What courses this and how often should I expect to suffer from it?
3. I have read some people cannot eat months after their op? Why and how on earth do you have the energy and strength to get up each day?
4. People seem to say they struggle to even drink water. That sounds worrying! Will my liquid intake be reduced?
5. One of my biggest problems is constant, uncontrollable hunger – will this go away?
6. What will happen with my bowels? Will I need to take something to help me?
7. What tablets will I need to take? Vitamins etc?
8. Gas/bloating seems to be a problem – is this a constant on going thing?
9. Pain when eating? Is this a common thing?
10. Nausea and vomiting seems to also be a big thing – why is this and what can you to stop it? I would imagine having had a bypass being sick is painful and not good for your body at all.

Think that is enough for now lol. Sorry for so many questions. Any help and advice would be fantastic and hopefully stop my mind whirring so much.

Thank you
Bex
xx

Beckiboo said:
Hi guys,

I had a band fitted in 2010 and it needs removing :cry: It’s been a long and painful road.
I am considering having a bypass conversion – however am absolutely terrified of having the same problems as before.
I have so many questions whirling in my head constantly. :confused:
Please can I have some help……………………………………………

2. What is dumping? What courses this and how often should I expect to suffer from it?
3. I have read some people cannot eat months after their op? Why and how on earth do you have the energy and strength to get up each day?
4. People seem to say they struggle to even drink water. That sounds worrying! Will my liquid intake be reduced?
5. One of my biggest problems is constant, uncontrollable hunger – will this go away?
10. Nausea and vomiting seems to also be a big thing – why is this and what can you to stop it? I would imagine having had a bypass being sick is painful and not good for your body at all.

Think that is enough for now lol. Sorry for so many questions. Any help and advice would be fantastic and hopefully stop my mind whirring so much.

Thank you
Bex
xx

I'm four weeks post bypass so ill answer them from what I know. There are lots of people on here who can help you xx

1) There are a few types of bypass. RNY and duodenal switch being the most common. They all basically work the same way, providing malabsorption and restriction.
2) Dumping occurs when you eat something you shouldn't, eg high fat/sugar foods that your body can't tolerate. Symptoms are similar to a hypo.
3) You can eat, just in very small amounts.
4) You have to sip water, not gulp. Some people struggle at first, but it soon improves.
5) Yes. You don't feel physical hunger for quite some time post bypass.
6) Some people have trouble. I use benefibre to keep myself regular.
7) This varies from person to person. Everyone has a multivitamin and B12 injection every 3 months.
8) Initially post surgery yes. Some people get it for longer.
9) If you eat too fast and don't chew things properly yes.
10) For some people yes, but not everyone.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you for your reply.
How are you feeling 4 weeks on?
Have you come across any good and bad points yet?
xx

I'm feeling good. There are lots of good points, like the weight loss, being able to walk without pain, not being out of breath, not feeling physically hungry. Bad points for me are head hunger and at the moment trying to fit in all my protein and fluids. Some days are harder than others.

The positives outweigh the negatives though. If I had to do it all over again, I would x

Beckiboo, please can I ask why you are having your band removed having it less than two years.

Mine's got a time limit as I am constantly hungry and have port problems.

Beckiboo, please can I ask why you are having your band removed having it less than two years.

Mine's got a time limit as I am constantly hungry and have port problems.

Long story :(
I had it fitted in july 2010. Worked fantastic up until December 2010 - lost 4 stone, portions were small, hunger under control.
Then was rushed into hospital twice and stayed in for 2wks over xmas! Vomiting severe, so much pain. Still dont know if my constant pain is deferred or nerve damage from op.
Eventually had my band deflated, but took 3 months before felt almost normal.
Then started having fills about May time. But my restrict levels had totally gone. I was at 7.5mls when went to hospital. Now anything over 5 mls I literally couldnt eat and threw everything back up. Even with less in food got stuck and i would have to be sick.
Again I had my band emptied, but weeks would go by with me only being able to have liquids.
After much passing to and fro from private provider and NHS, I was finally told last week, my band has stopped working. Or more correct, my body is rejecting it. Therefore it needs to come out.
I have been told different things by different people. Some say this is very common in bands etc. Scary really.
Think the thing that upset me most was it working great for 5 months and then changing so drastically and not knowing why.
Docs dont really know why body rejecting it, could be my tissue swells to much so it seems I have a fill all the time and therefore too tight for any food to get through.
Sorry for such a long email. It's been an extremely stressful, painful and expensive time. The thought of another op terrifies but have no choice and got to pay again.

Are you thinking of have a conversion? How long have you had your band? What problems with the port?
xx

Hi Becki I have not had the balloon but am 1yr 2 month post op bypass rny. I have had little or no problems. I followed my diet sheet to the letter for the first 5 months and boy did it owrk after that I learned to juggle things around a bit from the very start I have now lost just under 10 stones. It is very slow these days, I was never physically sick at all, I did feel it tho but not actually sick. I still get tired some days but I have ate normal food from the start. I have always eaten quite healthy, I think it has controlled my portion sizes which were a problem for me, like you sya feeling hungry, I still don,t feel hungry at all but my head fancies things, sometimes I give in and have a little bit have dumped but very rare, its not nice so you tend to be aware if its happened before, somedays you can eat something then the next days you may not be able to stomach it. Never regretted it though. Do what you have to xx

Thank you for your reply Chrisa!
It was really nice to read.
You've done so well :)
I think that what I need, control on portions, but more something to stop the constant hunger. I don't always give in but its depressing. Esp when I can't sleep at night, because I am sooooo hungry.
Can I ask how slow is your weight loss now? To continue losing will you have up exercise or cut down more?
Also you mentioned you sometimes still feel tired? Was this something that has come along since surgery and if so do you know why?
Thank you again for posting :)

Yes, there is the standard RNY and a mini bypass, not sure what is involved with the mini one, but it's not very common, the RNY is the most common.

Dumping occurs when food high in sugar and or fat hit the lower part of your small intestine too fast, this happens as part of the intestine has been bypassed and because part of your stomach is removed you don't have a pyloric valve anymore. Therefore the food comes out your stomach much quicker and it also hasn't been diluted and digested with stomach acids. The body reacts by releasing hormones to counter act the high sugar. Symptoms can include sweats, diarrhea and tiredness. Not everyone gets dumping syndrome and those that do have to use trial and error. Once you've dumped on a certain food you won't eat it again but in general people avoid it by eating low fat and sugar foods. Which aids your weight loss as a bonus.

Each provider gives a different post op diet but I think the longest I've heard of people not eating is 2 weeks, but they still have high energy drinks to keep them going. For me I was allowed pureed food from the day after my surgery. I stayed on this for 4 weeks. Then did 4 weeks on mashed food. I could then have normal food from 8 weeks, salad as it's harder to digest from 10 weeks. These stages are there to help you heal, you won't want to eat anything solid before then as it will either get stuck, or come straight back up.

I have to admit drinking is very difficult immediately post op but it is possible, keeping a water bottle next to you to keep sipping at all day is the only way to go about it. More than a sip at a time for the first 8 weeks was painful for me but it's gets better and now nearly 5 months post op I can take several big gulps without any pain. It's just about your body recovering and the swelling going down.

Yes! I've been told that hunger does start to creep back in after a year or so but even then people don't seem to talk about uncontrollable hunger. The most hunger you will feel is head hunger, sometimes you will feel like you want something but when it comes to eating it you actually can't manage much at all. The early months are about learning to differentiate between real and head hunger and finding other ways to battle head hunger. Exercise is great for that.

Some people find the high protein, reduced intake mean they suffer with constipation. I'm actually quite regular still but I do have mild bouts of it. I use benefibre to stay on top of it. Other use prune juice. Those that suffer more have used things natural laxatives. Staying on top of your water intake is a good preventative measure.

Again different providers recommend different things but you will have to take a multi vitamin and mineral for the rest of your life. Some also recommend iron and calcium. You'll need your blood taken at least yearly to check your levels in everything, if you are low in anything then you could be prescribed more. Most providers also recommend you having a tablet that helps prevent ulcers.

I get bloated easily if I eat too much, so that one extra mouthful will have me feeling bloated for while after but it keeps me on track to stop when I'm full. I counter act it with a hot drink. I don't get gas or trapped wind but I know some people do. Might be handy to keep some windeze around.

Only when you eat too much. Otherwise once you are past the early days no, some people do have certain food they can't tolerate such a dry meats or eggs but most things if you wait a couple of weeks and try again, you can manage it.

Some people have little to no nausea or sickness. I wasn't one of those lucky ones, I was sick every day for about 8 weeks post op. Sounds awful doesn't it? well to be honest at the time I thought it was but looking back I barely remember it and it's not much to go through when you consider the major surgery and I've since lost nearly 8 stone. My surgeon said I was just one of the unlucky ones who was sickly, I did get some anti sickness tabs that made life easier. Most other people aren't anywhere near as sick that often. As others have said I love my bypass. I would have it done again, and go through all the sickness and learning to eat again, in a heart beat because now I barely know I've had anything done apart from the fact I'm happier and healthier than I've been in years. Hope this helps. Best of luck x

Last edited:
Thank you so much - no idea how much your response has settled my spinning head!!!!
Thank you for taking the time to reply so in depth.
Must admit, reading a few posts about trouble drinking, pain when eating and wind etc, I was really scared.
But I think, from what you've said, as long as I follow the advice of the professionals and take things slowly, I should be fine.
Thank you again hunni - I might sleep tonight now lol
And its great seeing how well you have done not even 6 months in!!!!
xx

Thank you for your reply Chrisa!
It was really nice to read.
You've done so well :)
I think that what I need, control on portions, but more something to stop the constant hunger. I don't always give in but its depressing. Esp when I can't sleep at night, because I am sooooo hungry.
Can I ask how slow is your weight loss now? To continue losing will you have up exercise or cut down more?
Also you mentioned you sometimes still feel tired? Was this something that has come along since surgery and if so do you know why?
Thank you again for posting :)
I have only lost 3 stone since January you ten dto get stalls and then it will move down again, yes exercise and upping protein help, keepn sugar to a low. I do get tired a couple of weeks before my B`12 injection every 3 months. I am always cold which is a problem for me need to hibernate this winter probably starting this weekend can't stand tha cold. Sleep better when I 'm not stressed but have been stressed with work of late and tryn to stay eatn healthy but get bit of hjead hunger and crave sweet things but trynot to give in but io honestly don't feel hungry at all. xx;):D

Sleep better when I 'm not stressed but have been stressed with work of late and tryn to stay eatn healthy but get bit of hjead hunger and crave sweet things but trynot to give in but io honestly don't feel hungry at all. xx;):D[/QUOTE]

Bless ya!
3 stone is still good :)
This op will be very different to having the band - mainly due to all the vitamins etc and major protein intake I must do.
Sorry you have been stressed with work - I have to chain myself to my chair on a bad day so I'm not tempted to go and buy bar of chocolate!!!
It def is a head thing - one I am determine to over come!
So glad about the hunger, that is so good to hear!!!!!
Hope you have a relaxing evening xx

Thank you so much - no idea how much your response has settled my spinning head!!!!
Thank you for taking the time to reply so in depth.
Must admit, reading a few posts about trouble drinking, pain when eating and wind etc, I was really scared.
But I think, from what you've said, as long as I follow the advice of the professionals and take things slowly, I should be fine.
Thank you again hunni - I might sleep tonight now lol
And its great seeing how well you have done not even 6 months in!!!!
xx

Thank you. Absolutely, follow the rules and you'll be fine. It is a scary process, and there are some times you think what have a done?, I'd say usually in the first couple of months - as you know from when you had the band there is an emotional side to to it but if you stick by what you are told and work with it is the best tool for weight loss and getting your life back. 5 months ago I couldn't walk or work and all I thought about was food. Now I can walk for miles, have a job I love and now think about food as fuel. Of course there are times I will let myself have a treat but it's usually something like a slice of bread or a low sugar biscuit rather than a whole pizza, a family size pack of crisps and a huge slice cake too. It's lovely feeling full and not controlled by food. It doesn't cure your mind but it does give you the chance to fix that too. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to make a life change, and I think having had the band that is something you want :) x

Beckiboo, sorry to hear your history with the band. I've been in crippling pain post-op, then having a second procedure removed the pain. Then hungry, now projectile vomiting if there is anything in my stomach!

But I've been hungry since August! Since yesterday have started vomiting, and three times in the car yesterday :confused:, husband going out with the marigolds later. Good on him !

Best tool for weight loss and getting your life back. 5 months ago I couldn't walk or work and all I thought about was food. Now I can walk for miles, have a job I love and now think about food as fuel. Of course there are times I will let myself have a treat but it's usually something like a slice of bread or a low sugar biscuit rather than a whole pizza, a family size pack of crisps and a huge slice cake too. It's lovely feeling full and not controlled by food. It doesn't cure your mind but it does give you the chance to fix that too. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to make a life change, and I think having had the band that is something you want :) x[/QUOTE]

I think it's great to here how far you have come in such a short time. Fantastic!!
I do want to make a life change - I just want to be happy and healthy!!
Big week for me. See private surgeon today and also hear if NHS will fund me or no. Just want to know now - heads just wanting to explode with the uncertainty :(
Anyway keep it up, you're doing soooooo well :)
xx

Beckiboo, sorry to hear your history with the band. I've been in crippling pain post-op, then having a second procedure removed the pain. Then hungry, now projectile vomiting if there is anything in my stomach!

But I've been hungry since August! Since yesterday have started vomiting, and three times in the car yesterday :confused:, husband going out with the marigolds later. Good on him !

Hey hunni so sorry taken while to reply.
How are you? Has the vomiting stopped? I was like that 5 months after op and was in hospital over xmas, quite poorly. if you continue you must get your band unfilled.
How long did you say you have had your band?
What was causing your pain? I'm in pain still every day. They say when have conversion this may go but they cant be certain.
Pls let me know how you are getting on.
Take care
x

Jemima what you are experiencing sounds absolutely awful - and you shouldn't be suffering this badly. If you keep vomiting how on earth are you to absorb nutrients? I pray things get better for you very soon x

Back