• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Some questions

Golden girl

I reallyy don't know what surgery Im having so hope Im posting in the right section. Has anyone had surgery with blood sugar readings that are off the scale one day and normalish on other days, underactive thyroid and arthritus in their knees. I so need this operation but dont know what to expect not even sure that I will get it doc is a bit of an old fashioned one in as much as weight loss is easy if you eat right, you have to eat sensible and not fry things and doesnt listen to me.

What should I expect? how plong will it take? what really are the pros and cons? would you do it again ? Whats the best and worst bit? so many questions someone please help

I'm pre op so cant offer much advice except on how I got this point. Someone will be along soon who will be able to give you some answers.

My GP referred me without a problem and because I needed NHS funding I had to complete a year on a weight management programme first. My funding is now in place and I waiting for my bypass in the next couple of months.

Every area differs though and it depends on your PCT. Your underlying health problems might help your case though. As for the type of surgery to get you will be advised by your Doctor on what they think is best for you.

Good Luck x

Hi ya, sorry one one has been back to you yet, maybe it is too complex so not one person can answer all the questions.

I can't help much as I am pre surgery.

All I can say is I am having a bypass which should be before mid July as I am just waiting on a date. I started this process with my doctor in sept 09 so it will be nearer two years start to finish, and although I did get a bit lost in the system, I think the journey is going to get harder for people, with budget cutbacks.

I am just a new diabetic, so don't really have problems, in fact it was the weight loss journey that flagged this up, and also the fact I had an under active thyroid too. Thyroxine has made a huge difference to my quality of life and personality.

I have had arthritus in my hands for sometime, and left ankle was always achy, but have started getting aches in my left hip and both knees, so know weight loss will help greatly.

Good luck and I hope some post oppers come back with more answers.

Last edited:
Ooops Mandy popped in while I was typing - like green line busses two have come along at once!!

Thanks for responding - am not a normal case in lol. i just want to be fully armed with as much info as possible. I am so impatiant its untrue. Am trying to sit and wait patiantly honest

Hi

Welcome to the forum, lots of people with lots of different health problems go through for surgery.
The best advice I can give us be totally honest with doctors and nurses and they will advise you on the best op for you,
The worst part was between getting my date and the actual day as so many mixed emotions surface and self doubt etc but by the time you are there you know you have made the right decision you just have to tell your brain that a few times before it remembers lol

Good luck with your journey xx

Back