• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thinking about liquid protein.

Shadylawns

Hi all,

I've been thinking about protein. Specifically, isolated whey protein. I don't really do milk, except on cereal, and I do like yogurts.

I have searched on line, and found a product called 'Syntrax Nectar', which is mixable with water (and milk).

Does anyone have any experience of this product? It comes in loads of fruity flavours, too. I've googled reviews, and am fancying the sound of the fuzzy navel one.

Unfortunately though, mixed bags of flavour samples only seem to be available in the US. Nowhere seems to want to ship the samples internationally.

I think I'm just after a bit of affirmation that this sort of stuff is good protein and will be helpful to me now (in the month run up to my op), and also in my post-op liquid stage.

Cheers m'dears
Xx

The thing with protein is that its a very very individual thing. I have gone out and bought the protein someone else swears by an hated it. It's a matter d trying until you find one you like. Most can be mixed with water or milk. I have heard good things about syntrax from a friend but not being able to get samples put me off. I sampled shakes from my protein instead and liked theirs.

Thanx Yvessa for your reply. I can't stomach milk shakes or anything like that, so anything which is more fruity/watery/tangy will be good. I may just bite the bullet so to speak and order the flavour I fancy. My son, who's 19 and does the gym thing, drinks protein drinks, so he can have it if I don't like it. At least it'll get used!

At the moment, he has a chocolate cookie flavour one. Even with water, it makes me gag, that one! Ewww! Kacka, lolol! We live and learn, eh?

Mrs Lawns. X

Yep. It might be worth emailing the company and saying your interested but would prefer a sample before you buy.

As Yvessa mentioned, It's a good idea to try a few samples. Some protein shakes taste chalky and do not mix well. Don't be put off as the choice is massive and some taste lovely and mix really well.
The protein powder I use tastes great. I bought chocolate and strawberry flavour. In order to boost nutritional value to my morning shake, I add oat meal, hazel nuts or almonds, ground flax seeds and a banana to a pint of skimmed milk and blend. When smooth enough, I add a scoop of choc protein powder and mix well. ...I tend not to blend the protein powder as it goes foamy, however, this isn't a bad thing and some quite like it foamy.
On an afternoon, |I usually make a smoothie with the strawberry protein shake. I normally at some frozen fruits, usually forest fruits from Farm Foods as they're only £1 at the moment. Any fruit that needs using up will do so just experiment. I sometimes add a few carrots or dates too. You can't taste them in the shake so it's ideal for sneaking in a few of the 5-a-day items. I blend using water or skimmed milk, then mix the strawberry protein powder in. It tastes great and contains 30g of protein if I use skimmed milk; 22g if using water.
Currently, I've started soft foods so I trying to drop the protein shakes to one a day and get my protein from a meal, however, I so impressed with the taste and nutritional value of the shakes, that I hope to continue to use them to suppliment my diet.
Depending on your blender, frozen fruit give excellent results and save you money too as you can chop up and freeze any fruit that you think may go off on not get eaten in time.
good luck.

Thanks for replies. Trial and error I guess, but trust me to be awkward! The things I should find useful, I dislike. I don't mean that I could force them down, either, I mean proper hate, like I gag when I smell them (tea and coffee) and would gag when I had to drink them (tea, coffee, milk whether cold or hot, milk shakes of ANY description! and bananas and any other hot drinks at all). Disliked them all of my life. Smoothies are nice, cause they're fruity and watery. Eeeh, what am I like?! :rolleyes:

Luckily, I do like yogurt (but not Actimel or owt like that). Ahh, I'll cope, I'm sure!!:D

Thanks again x

Back