• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Soya mince?

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
I cant eat mince at all, doesnt matter how small the piece is, it gets stuck.

So i was wondering if Soya mince was ok to have? Or try to have? For things like spag bol, or shephers pie.

Is it low in fat and carbs, and high in protein?

no, someone i know said they were having soya mince, so thats what made me think.
Ive had quorn chicken years ago, and it was awful, but will give the mince a go. Thanks xx

Soya mince is odd stuff but it's what you add to it that gives it flavour, otherwise can be a little like recycled cardboard...LOL..

Holland and Barrett do some nice ones...

might try quorn first then. thanks hun xx

A recipe I use for mince or Quorn...

1 tsp good quality virgin olive oil.
1-2 tsps mixed herbs (to taste).
2 x garlic cloves.
1 x onion
1 packet Quorn mince or Turkey mince.
Baby Button mushrooms (add to your tastes)
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 glass red wine

Firstly add oil to frying pan on medium heat, then add garlic, onions, herbs, chilli and fry off until onions are slightly brown, then add mince (any kind) and make sure this is browned off and fully cooked. Then add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and red wine.

Simmer for about 45-50 mins to soften onions and meat.

(Sometimes I turn the heat down and cook for 2-3 hours as this infuses the flavours and soften it up even more)

Serve with julienne of vegetables instead of pasta and add some grated cheese.

Veg that works well are carrots, parsnips, swede and green beans mixed.

FedUp, I use turkey mince alot with no trouble. Also, when I want beef mince I use fresh extra lean steak mince which seems to have less tough bits and gives me no trouble but the cheaper frozen stuff does not go down well. Let us know what works for you.

Nic:p

i fancy making a mince curry ;) any1 got a low fat recipe please ?:)

liz x

Ingredients for 4 servings:

• 400 - 500g (approximately 1 lb) lean minced beef. Minced Lamb may be used but see recipe.
  • 1 large onion, about 200g (0.5lb) finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed in a press
  • 1 medium size (2" or 5cm long) hot green chilli. More may be used if you prefer a hotter dish. De-seed the chilli if you want the flavour of chilli without so much heat.
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons (10ml) ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon (3ml) cayenne powder, adjust according to strength required
  • 1 400g tin peeled and chopped plum tomatoes
  • 1.5 (8ml) teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 lb (220g) new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" (1.5cm) cubes
  • 4 fl oz (100ml) water
  • Optional 3 heaped tablespoons (60ml) finely chopped fresh coriander leaves to garnish
  • Optional for low calorie version: replace 100g of the meat with 125g of carrot diced into 5mm cubes.

i fancy making a mince curry ;) any1 got a low fat recipe please ?:)

liz x

CHEERS JULIE ;):thankyou:

FedUp, I use turkey mince alot with no trouble. Also, when I want beef mince I use fresh extra lean steak mince which seems to have less tough bits and gives me no trouble but the cheaper frozen stuff does not go down well. Let us know what works for you.

Nic:p
I never thought about turkey mince. I might give that a go, cos i can eat chicken quite well, so turkey is a possibility.
I have tried loads of different beef minces tbh. Fresh, frozen, lean, very lean, normal. After a mouthful it just feels stuck.
So thanks, ill try turkey mince first x

Back