• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A soya mince (TVP) revelation

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
Oh wow, I am simply quite taken by soya mince. Never thought I'ld say that.

So, a few weeks ago I picked up a couple of boxes of dry soya mince (Textured Vegetable Protein =TVP) hoping to increase my protein options. Didn't touch it until today.

For breakfast, I had a Total 0% greek youghurt, flavoured with a satchet of Candarel Vanilla flavour sweetener with 2tbsp of the dry soya mince mixed in. It had flavour and crunch and depending on how long you take to eat it, the crunch gives way to chewy texture to yoghurt mix. I had 3/4 of the total volume and it was an absolutely filling protein filled breakfast. In fact, the further I got from eating, the fuller I seemed to become. Perhaps once in the pouch, the dry mix started to swell somewhat. So I would probably eat half the volume next time and see how I get on.

What else to do with TVP?. I got browsing and came across a wonderful oatmeal porridge alternative, which I promptly gave a shot. Geewheez, it was lush. Of course I needed an emergency trip to the shops for a couple of things - unsweetened soya milk , some cinnamon and nutmeg. It takes a while to cook but well worth the wait. I think depending on how well you cook it, it would serve as a great sloppies food. The recipe apparently keeps well in the fridge for a week and can be frozen, which I've done. Will see tomorrow how it turns out from frozen. I found the recipe here: TVP "Oatmeal" Recipe - How to Make Low-Carb Oatmeal from TVP

Will try baking a next to no carb foccacia style flax meal bread next. The recipe is on the same website above.

I bought Granose Soya Mince in my local Sainsbury's . This brand has no odour whatsoever.
If anyone gives these ideas a go, please let me know how you find them. I am often accused of strange tastes

I had to smile at the idea of TVP and yoghurt, I always equate soya mince with things like spag bol etc lol Sounds like a good alternative breakfast though. I shall pop into Holland and Barratt tomorrow and have a look.

Most days i cook with soya mince,but never ever would i've thought of trying it for breakfast.....!! Maybe one day I will;)

Never heard of it other than the frozen ready meal variety.
Will have to have a nosey at it so see if I see it.
TY
Sal

Oh yeah, still in love with soya mince. The dry kind. Yep, freezing the TVP porridge works well. I added extra soya milk and reheated a portion. Too much extra soya milk as it turned out so to thicken the mess I made of the the porridge I added a scoop of my favourite vanilla protein powder. That worked rather well. I'll eat it this way to bump up my protein count.

I guess plain dry soya mince works well b'coz it has a neutral taste. It will take the flavour of whatever you cook/mix it with.

Do give it a go peeps. Would love to hear what you think.

I just rehydrate the mince with water and an oxo cube and use in bolognese, chilli or shepherds pie. In holland and barratts you can also get soya chunks which are great for curries.

Back