• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spatz Balloon

sahmummy

Does anyone know if any clinics in Scotland do the year spatz balloon and if they are available on the NHS in Scotland? Thanks

The balloon I cant help you with, but the NHS thing I maybe can. Glasgow, likely you will be entitled to help on the NHS. They seem to follow NICE guidelines. Edinburgh I'm not sure about. Anywhere further north than that, unless you have considerable co-morbidites you aren't likely to get help based on a BMI of 40.2. Most of the Highlands refer to Grampian who will only do a BMI of 60+ or 45+ with Type 2 diabetes. Tayside I believe wont help anyone unless you have significant co-morbidity's regardless of your BMI.

If you are serious about WLS the first thing to do is work out what PCT (which NHS board) you fall under for where you live. Then contact them through the freedom of information act and ask what their guidelines are.

Next step is to talk to your doctor. Whether you meet the guidelines or not, speak to your doctor. Ask for a referral and if you are rejected ask for tests, Diabetes, Sleep apnea e.t.c

Only once you have eventually been referred will you get an idea of which procedures you could get. If the balloon isn't available in your area (and tbh I don't think its widely used up here) you could look into alternatives, the sleeve is really popular and obviously the band. I think the band is easier to get, there is a central Scottish hospital who I believe take band patients from across Scotland so that is likely to be an easier alternative.

Whatever happens, I wish you lots of luck! At the minute I'm fighting for help through my MSP as I was rejected even when my BMI was 51. But thats in Aberdeen and the NHS board here really sucks. Don't give up whatever the doctor says, there are lots of ways you can fight around funding on the NHS. For the balloon in particular if you can find an area that does perform the Balloon and you are prepared to travel, you could ask for a referral to that hospital, But this wouldn't work for being referred to Glasgow as they don't take referrals from outwith the area unless you already live there, in which case your probably fine!

Hi, thanks so much for the reply! Im so sorry you're having such trouble getting anything done, it seems so unfair and liek a postcode lottery again - I strongly believe that if tehre are guidelines they should be adhered to for the whole of the country and it shouldn't be down to the luck of the draw with where you live.

I live in South Lanarkshire so imagine that I will fall under the Glasgow area, I have been looking in to a band for about 3ish years and very serious about it. I would really prefer to try the balloon first as I have a heart rythm prob which makes a ga more problematic and higher risk so something like a balloon would be a better choice for me but I didn't think it would be available at all in Scotland.

I have an pp at my gp tom again and im going to be much more pushy than I was a couple of years ago as since then I have had a twin pg and another c-section (3 in total). I have a very large overhang which is painful and I know the only way to get rid of it is to lose the wait and then hope for an abodminalplasty. I just hope my gp doesn't say there is no funding for it in my area, that's what he said last time. Do you know what the rules in Glasgow are? Would they do a balloon? I do have a heart rythm problem but dont have diabetes or anything else like that (well that I know of anyway!!). I was going to ask my gp to do a thyroid check on me tom aswell as I have gained 1st 10lb in the last few months but seriously haven't been eating anymore than I normally do (which is alot to be fair!).

I really need to do something drastic as my weight is affecting alot of my life now and i've tried every diet under the sun, I know none of the options are a quick fix but the only thing that ever worked for me before was drastic (cambridge diet) but im not allowed to do that again as it's contraindicated with my heart prob.

xx

Oh thats about the best area in Scotland to live to be getting help! They seem to have the most different types of procedures as well as the best guideline following, so really your in the ideal place, if you can get it anywhere you will get it there.

Wishing you all the best :D

Oh really??!! That's fantastic news! You have armed me with some info to go to my gp with tomorrow as the last time he just said there was no funding so this time I can say I know there is funding and he must be able to refer me to someone! I just wish it was the same rules for everyone, so unfair that you have to fight so hard for it :(

Is there anywhere I could look at the guidleines or get an idea of what South lanarkshire offer so I can tell the gp exactly what i've found?
xx

NHSGGC / Glasgow and Clyde Weight Management Service - Joining The Programme

That link takes you to the Greater Glasgow and Clyde criteria. I cant find anything specifically related to South Lanarkshire, but this should be a good start to take to your GP :) Just remember its usually a really long program so dont give up!

Lots of people here have had to go through several years of weight management programs before they are considered and they can set goals of weight loss that you have to achieve to prove you have the will power to make the surgery work!

It will be a very long and difficult road but if you persist enough, I'm sure you should get the help you need. :D

Hi! I think you will come under NHS Lanarkshire. WLS is carried out at Wishaw by Ms Catherine Sharp and she does sleeves as well as the other surgeries. However I have no idea what the referral procedure is. I think most NHS boards in Scotland have established weight management programmes that u have to go through and occasionally a patient makes it through this to surgery! Certainly that is how it now works in Lothian. Another member Drylaw is almost at the stage of surgery in Edinburgh. I had been referred but having waited over a year and not even started tier 3 (out of 5) I gave up and was fortunate to be able to go private.

Good luck with your journey.

Crackers x

Oh thanks so much for the info! I was actually at Wishaw 2wks ago for an app with my son and while we were waiting the nurse said "just a second as we need the room for the walk on scales for a bariatric patient" and I did wonder what they were going to be doing when it was at Wishaw!!

So went to see my gp today and he was really supportive, he said that funding in our area is stil virtually non existant but if I could give xenical a good run of 3/4mths then he could try and refer me and see what happens as he feels that if he referred me now they would want to see that all avenues had been exhausted first. My gp has given me xenical on and off over the last few years but i've never given it a proper shot so I guess if I want to get anywhere with wls I am going to have to do this first!

xx

You really should give Xenical a fighting chance. Everyone should try this before surgery, specially if there looking into temporary restrictive methods such as balloon.

My sister lost a fair bit on Xenical, not only does it cut fat content but it makes you hate having a take away...

Oily food + Xenical + wind/toilet = bad.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried xenxial on and off through the years but with little outcome (mainly due to my deviance). If I want surgery though then this seems to be the route I will have to take. My gp said i've vrtually no chance of a balloon on nhs though so would be looking at banding. Just wish i had the funding to go private for a balloon instead :( x

Back