• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spinning?

top_kat

Just wondering if anyone goes to a spinning class. If so, how do you find it, what is it like and do you find that it makes a difference to you?

Are there any downsides to it? And is it something that you have found easier with more weight loss?

Any info, experiences would be appreciated :)

Before my illness took hold I went to spin class three or four times a week and found it absolutely brilliant. It gets you fitter than almost any other low impact exercise, its fun as you're part of a group exercising together with great music, it's a fabulous fat burner, and addictive. In fact the only downside is that it is addictive.

Try it but take it easy at your pace at first, if you stick with it you'll learn to love it

Thanks Karlos ~ one thing I think that I wonder is if I turn up to a class with people who have really high levels of fitness and I'm there struggling to keep up . . are you able to go at your own pace or is it done to a level across the whole class?

They do them at my local leisure centre (not the gym I go to) and just want to start doing different things as and when time allows :)

Forget what everyone else is doing and just keep to a pace you can cope with. It's a mistake to try to keep up at first it will hurt and that will make you not want to go back. So just take it easy, everyone is too concerned with their own performance to watch yours so you'll be fine trust me. It will be your arse that gives out first so if you like the class I'd invest in a gel seat cover to protect it LOL

Thank you :)

They do a class at 615am . . .maybe worth getting up early and hope its a quiet one LOL

Spinning is the marmite of exercise. If you hate it, you need only go once. If you like it, like Karlos says you can get addicted, I completely am and go up to 5 times a week, different instructors do different things so there is always variety in intensity.

Never mind what anyone else is doing, you go at your own pace, set the level of resistance how you want it, no one else can see it, and go for it. You will sweat so take a towel and drink plenty of water.

I think that its the most intense calorie burning exercise that you can do, and I have lost shed loads of weight doing it.

I am on holiday at the moment and am already having withdrawal symptoms from it, and can´t wait to get back to it ;)

I tried a spinning class once and found that my biggest problem was that I could not pedal the bike whilst standing up, ie no bum on the saddle. Had never rode a bike that way in my life and my lardy ar** did not want to be raised of that seat. I was also 2 stones lighter than I am now, so think no way could I do it now.

Spinning will be great for you as everyone above has said, it's a massive calorie burner, you can work at your own pace. When I did my first class, there's a time when you pedal standing up, and I couldnt do it, found it too hard, so just stay seated and keep pedalling! You can adjust the bike to your own preference and work at your own pace. The music is really good, which keeps you going and all the spin classes i've gone to are in a dark room, all the others will be concentrating on their ride so dont feel self consious.
Good luck , give it a go and hope you enjoy it. As Karlos said, you will get saddle sore, so invest in a gel seat, Tesco have them for about £8.
Lilypersian
xx

I've got to delay . . .I've got a ruptured cyst behind my knee which has stopped me going to the gym full stop. Cannot extend, straighten or move my leg properly . . .hopefully in the new year! :)

Oh bummer!
Well at least you can research in the meantime. Have a look on you tube at 'Les Mills RPM class'. Will give you an idea of what to expect!
Lilypersian
xx

Mmmmm I have find memories of my spinning addiction and also of my very first class- I couldn't walk straight for days!! It's very high impact I wouldn't suggest it as an introduction to fitness rather after swimming and doing aerobic classes.. I can't wait to get back into it!

Mmmmm I have find memories of my spinning addiction and also of my very first class- I couldn't walk straight for days!! It's very high impact I wouldn't suggest it as an introduction to fitness rather after swimming and doing aerobic classes.. I can't wait to get back into it!

Spinning is more high intensity than high impact. High impact is more associated with running etc as this puts massive forces and loads through the bones and joints. This is not the case with spinning as the bike supports the rider.

The high intensity interval training effects from spinning classes are one of the very very best in terms of time spent over calorific consumption, couple this with the rapid increases in fitness levels over less effective exercises and spinning really is a superb use of gym time

Thanks for sharing the info Karlos, spinning is something I've always been interested in so it's been helpful. I looked at a few youtube videos of classes and they scared the **** out of me but I still want to try it so I'm going to bite the bullet and book a class :D

Ah, wish we lived closer together . . .we could have bitten it together! Love to know how you get on . . .

I know, such a shame as I'm really nervous about going alone. I'm sure we will be both be fine and do well anyway, hope you are well enough to go soon :) xx

Hey- I meant high intensity thanks for correcting! And don't be scared to go alone as everyone is too busy sweating and working so you will feel normal! Good luck all spinners it's awesome!

I started spinning before I got the band and found it to be an amazing workout. Obviously the heavier you are the harder it will be, but because you can go your own pace, it really is worth a try. I've lost about 17kgs so far, and I feel a hugeeee difference in my performance. I can keep up with the trainer the majority of the time, and my legs have stopped feeling like jelly after a class is done. Like running, if you stick to it, you see improvements very quickly, and like everyone has already mentioned, people are too busy focusing on themselves that noone takes note of anyone else in the class, so dont feel embarassed to go.
I try and go 3 times a week, and not more, only because I feel that my thighs are building too much muscle (that is probably because of my weight), but besides that - its great!!!!

Back