• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St Barts London about this journey

Cjap90

Hi everyone wonder if anyone could help me. I went to my doctors and asked for support in wanting to lose weight as I had previously lost 5st on slimming world in 2016 but had gained it all back and more 😢

many BMI is 48 and I’m 4ft11in, my doctor referred me to Barts and within a few months I saw Dr Simon Coppack at the
Diabetes & Metabolic clinic, I had weight and height measured and we spoke about my eating habits and other health problem I have,

I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)
Psoriasis skin condition and currently on Ciclosporin for it,

I went off to have blood work and waited for other appointments to come through for the lung function test as he suspects I may have sleep apnea and for me to see Michelle the dietician all at Barts,

the lung function test came back as abnormal and I’m seeing them next week,

i saw the dietician last week and she was so lovely!!! And that’s when the penny dropped... after speaking to her for a good 30 mins about everything she asked me if Dr Coppack had spoke to me about surgery, I’ve only seen him once and no he hadn’t mentioned anything, she said because I’m a yo-yo dieter and due to other health conditions she wants me to talk to him about it,

I’m going to be honest I’ve researched a lot and I think in the long run I feel it would be the best thing for me all round, also I keep hearing about a tier 3? What exactly is this? Going by my bmi I feel I should be on that weight management but no one has actually said anything, I’m a little confused to what is happening regarding these appointments and not too sure who is the best to ask,
if anyone could help or could give any info on the doctor I’m seeing I would be so grateful,

sorry for the long post xx

Bling Babe

Hi everyone wonder if anyone could help me. I went to my doctors and asked for support in wanting to lose weight as I had previously lost 5st on slimming world in 2016 but had gained it all back and more 😢

many BMI is 48 and I’m 4ft11in, my doctor referred me to Barts and within a few months I saw Dr Simon Coppack at the
Diabetes & Metabolic clinic, I had weight and height measured and we spoke about my eating habits and other health problem I have,

I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)
Psoriasis skin condition and currently on Ciclosporin for it,

I went off to have blood work and waited for other appointments to come through for the lung function test as he suspects I may have sleep apnea and for me to see Michelle the dietician all at Barts,

the lung function test came back as abnormal and I’m seeing them next week,

i saw the dietician last week and she was so lovely!!! And that’s when the penny dropped... after speaking to her for a good 30 mins about everything she asked me if Dr Coppack had spoke to me about surgery, I’ve only seen him once and no he hadn’t mentioned anything, she said because I’m a yo-yo dieter and due to other health conditions she wants me to talk to him about it,

I’m going to be honest I’ve researched a lot and I think in the long run I feel it would be the best thing for me all round, also I keep hearing about a tier 3? What exactly is this? Going by my bmi I feel I should be on that weight management but no one has actually said anything, I’m a little confused to what is happening regarding these appointments and not too sure who is the best to ask,
if anyone could help or could give any info on the doctor I’m seeing I would be so grateful,

sorry for the long post xx
I think I repli to your other post asking the same question, good luck x

Tubbycustard

I had my first appointment at st barts too, then from there it was homerton hospital. Time goes by the time you know it you’ll be at your pre op assesment. I’m waiting for MDT at the moment.

Cjap90

I had my first appointment at st barts too, then from there it was homerton hospital. Time goes by the time you know it you’ll be at your pre op assesment. I’m waiting for MDT at the moment.

Hi could I ask how you went about getting referred to the Homerton? Do you know how long u have to do the tier 3 at Barts for? X

Tubbycustard

Hi could I ask how you went about getting referred to the Homerton? Do you know how long u have to do the tier 3 at Barts for? X

Hiya! I only had one appointment at bart’s with an asian lady I really regret not noting her name. She referred me to Homerton. The appointment at Barts was like an interview, I think it was to establish my comorbidity. My plea for help! Have you got an appointment at barts? Xx

Cjap90

Hiya! I only had one appointment at bart’s with an asian lady I really regret not noting her name. She referred me to Homerton. The appointment at Barts was like an interview, I think it was to establish my comorbidity. My plea for help! Have you got an appointment at barts? Xx

Yes I see Dr Coppack at St Barts I’ll be having my second appt with him middle of feb, that’s when I’m going to ask about surgery and see what he says, I think I’m on a tier 3 programme although I’ve never been told anything about it xx

Sarnie

Tier 3 is basically them assessing you to see if you are good to go for surgery, you have to jump through a few hoops and do what is required of you, like losing 5% of your body weight and keeping it off and attending every appointment, you'll have tests done and a mental health check to see if everything is safe physically and mentally for you to cope with surgery and post surgery, because it's not easy.

Cjap90

Sorry for the late reply, I had my appt today with an Asian lady who I think you saw at Barts? Very lovely! I asked a few questions about what they are doing for me etc and I have no co morbities, and that their clinic is tier 4 and they basically get you ready for surgery, in my case I’ve always been over weight and a huge yoyo dieter so I’m seeing the dietician again end of this year and that’ll be the discussion about weight loss surgery and how I’ve been getting on with my current diet, I do have minor issues, I have pcos, endometriosis, arthritis but mainly it’s the constant feeling of being hungry, But we’ll see how it goes. X

Bling Babe

All sounds very positive and encouraging, good luck xx