• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St Georges pre nutritionist!

the lady Sarah

Well last week I met my surgeon who my gp had sent me to....next week I have to see a nutritionist then it's the mdt..... is anyone else terrified someone along the way will say "no...she's to remain fat and die"?
I'm 24 stone with two prolapsed discs and a dodgy knee, I need the help!
I've given up smoking (day 3) but should I also start another diet or will that just drop my odds at being a successful candidate?

Hi I'm at the beginning of my journey and also have a fear of someone telling me no. I suffer with back problems and have give up smoking too it's been 1 year on the 28th January for me I don't drink alcohol ever and having this surgery is the last thing I need to turn my life around and be the healthy person I want to be I keep thinking to myself I'm going to be declined maybe it's just a normal feeling.

Seen you around on the forum and see that you are new. Just want to say hello and welcome to a great site! All the best with your journey X

Hi I'm at the beginning of my journey and also have a fear of someone telling me no. I suffer with back problems and have give up smoking too it's been 1 year on the 28th January for me I don't drink alcohol ever and having this surgery is the last thing I need to turn my life around and be the healthy person I want to be I keep thinking to myself I'm going to be declined maybe it's just a normal feeling.

I guess it's a normal feeling then! How much stress you hoping to loose when they say yes? (I'm putting when on everything-pay attention universe is positioned for us!!)

Hi Lady Sarah.
I'm also under St George's. I was first referred for surgery by my GP at the beginning of 2013, at first I was rejected because I did not fit the criteria. I was called a few months later and was told that the criteria had changed and I was now eligible for WLS. I was first seen my DR Reddy in 2013 followed by the dietician a few weeks later. They both said that I was a good candidate for the surgery, and the dietician didn't think it necessary for me to have a psych appointment. I received a letter later on saying that I needed to go on Orlistat for 3 months (Not the pleasantest experience). I never heard anything for a year after that. As far as I was aware I had done everything I needed to do and was just waiting for surgery. I received a letter last year October 2013 to see another Doctor at St George's. He was new and didn't know what was going on. He was treating this appointment as it was my first appointment for WLS. I told him I had been through all this with DR Reddy and been to the dietician and I thought that this appointment was to talk to me about my surgery. He seemed a bit confused as to why I was there at all. He then spoke to a colleague who suggested that there must have been some mistake and I must have been called in by error. I wrote a letter to the surgery explaining my situation as I couldn't get hold of anyone that I could talk to on the phone. Mid December 2014 I received 2 more letters. One to see a Bariatric Surgeon and another to see the dietician accompanied by the questionnaire I had already completed before. I called the surgery and they managed to put me through to the lady who handles all the appointments and she said there had been a change in their system and since I hadn't seen one of the surgeons in a year - I had to start the process again... So I am at the beginning yet again. I think I also saw the Greek Doctor on the 14th January 2015. I didn't catch him name, but he made me feel more confident that this time I might actually get the surgery done within 6 month... I am due to see the dietician on Friday 6th Feb. I'm really hoping that this time it will happen. :)
It's nice to know someone else that is at St Georges.

Hi Lady Sarah.
I'm also under St George's. I was first referred for surgery by my GP at the beginning of 2013, at first I was rejected because I did not fit the criteria. I was called a few months later and was told that the criteria had changed and I was now eligible for WLS. I was first seen my DR Reddy in 2013 followed by the dietician a few weeks later. They both said that I was a good candidate for the surgery, and the dietician didn't think it necessary for me to have a psych appointment. I received a letter later on saying that I needed to go on Orlistat for 3 months (Not the pleasantest experience). I never heard anything for a year after that. As far as I was aware I had done everything I needed to do and was just waiting for surgery. I received a letter last year October 2013 to see another Doctor at St George's. He was new and didn't know what was going on. He was treating this appointment as it was my first appointment for WLS. I told him I had been through all this with DR Reddy and been to the dietician and I thought that this appointment was to talk to me about my surgery. He seemed a bit confused as to why I was there at all. He then spoke to a colleague who suggested that there must have been some mistake and I must have been called in by error. I wrote a letter to the surgery explaining my situation as I couldn't get hold of anyone that I could talk to on the phone. Mid December 2014 I received 2 more letters. One to see a Bariatric Surgeon and another to see the dietician accompanied by the questionnaire I had already completed before. I called the surgery and they managed to put me through to the lady who handles all the appointments and she said there had been a change in their system and since I hadn't seen one of the surgeons in a year - I had to start the process again... So I am at the beginning yet again. I think I also saw the Greek Doctor on the 14th January 2015. I didn't catch him name, but he made me feel more confident that this time I might actually get the surgery done within 6 month... I am due to see the dietician on Friday 6th Feb. I'm really hoping that this time it will happen. :)
It's nice to know someone else that is at St Georges.

That's this Friday? I've got mine at 1 pm....Addison.....
Looks like we are at the same stage. Did he say anything to you about being psychiatric? He seemed to think no but another patient was told us after the mdt.....

No, he didn't mention anything about the pysch.
Yes - Friday at 2pm - at the Thomas Addison Unit.

Hello, i am under St. Georges care.

I had a similar start loke Lauren25. Was referred nov 2013, saw dietitian in mid january then Lauren and i saw the surgeon on the same day (end of jan i think). Then all this was followed by mdt. Where our journeys became different! :) i was told i need to see bariatric nurse, dietitian (again) and someone in obesity clinic (endocrinology departent). And i was told that after those my case will go on mdt again.

So i had these 3 appointments they all were done by july 2014.. On the way to this point i was diagnosed with pcos and diabetes. Was prescribed medicine for diabetes and some tablets to try and start my period (which was abcent for almost 2 years then).

I thought i will never reach the surgery point.. I was always in the fear that i will be rejected... And at that point i felt there was no other way for me to go.. To get my life and health back...

But after the second mdt everything went fast! I mean very FAST! At the second mdt it was decided that i should benefit the most from bypass surgery and i was put on the waiting list.

So i only ended up being around a month later than Lauren25. Had my surgery back in september.

I feel like my journey was very short and i was lucky! ( i didnt think so when i was going through all those emotions before being approved for the surgery). So my advice is to stay as calm as possible and follow the advice given by the team. They are there to help you! And if you end up having a few extra apppointments its not because they are trying to be mean or trying to delay you.. Its just because they are doing their job and making sure you are ready and in the need of surgery. (Thats my opponion now :) but i know how hard and unsettling the waiting and the unknown is! I went through all that!! )

Good luck all of you!

Having researched (and still researching) WLS, including complications, having gone round & round in circles in my head trying to decide if its the right thing for me, yeah I'm terrified of being turned down now that I've decided the pros far outweigh the cons.

I too have given up smoking, 16 months ago, which I'm sure has played its part in some of the weight I've gained!!!! And nor do I drink. So like Sjwood, to sort my weight out once & for all will be icing on the cake.

Good luck to everyone hoping to be accepted :fingerscrossed:

.... and some tablets to try and start my period (which was abcent for almost 2 years then)

OK, this has me worried.....
What is the significance of periods with WLS?????
I'm on the contraceptive injection. One of the very happy side effects is that I don't have periods. Ive been on the injections for about 15 years and thus not had a period for that long either. Is this a cause for concern regarding being accepted for WLS?

OK, this has me worried..... What is the significance of periods with WLS????? I'm on the contraceptive injection. One of the very happy side effects is that I don't have periods. Ive been on the injections for about 15 years and thus not had a period for that long either. Is this a cause for concern regarding being accepted for WLS?

Yes but i was not on pill or any other contraception inplants or injections and my period was not excisting. So it was one of the symptoms that there is something wrong with my body and hormones so that needed to be checked out . Thats it.

I'm awaiting for psych appointment 48 days to go.

I've seen surgeon, dietician and been to the first MDT.

Like you I'm thinking, ohmygod they are going to change their minds and leave me to suffer. The wait is very long, but this site has been extremely valuable to me and helped me to see this a process and in the blink of an eye I will be on the losers bench.

Well I'm hoping :)

We are not too far apart in our journeys, let's stay in touch.

My dietician was Amy
Consultant - Dr Reddy

Yes but i was not on pill or any other contraception inplants or injections and my period was not excisting. So it was one of the symptoms that there is something wrong with my body and hormones so that needed to be checked out . Thats it.

Oh I see, thanks Llora :)

Yay! It's appointment day! Hope all goes well and maybe I'll see you there. :)

Hi Sarah.
Lovely to meet you on Friday. How did your appointment go? What did she say?

Back