• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St Georges

Is there anyone out there who has been on the waiting list since May/June ?

I dont seem to be getting anywhere and its now 21 weeks and its looking like its not going to happen this year now :cry:

i am not on the waiting list yet but will be soon. everything crossed.xx but i would phone up the hospital were you are on the waiting list and ask, ask , ask agin untill they give you the answer you want, by ask ask ask i mean phone the first week and if you dont hear from them by the week after that phone them again. i f you dont get no joy after say a month get your loacal p.a.l.s. on the case, hope this is some help to you. x x x

Are you on the actual waiting list as in you've seen the surgeon and he has told you that you are now on the waiting list or are you still having appointments are are waiting for the next.

It takes around 2 years from being referred to having the op with St. Georges. I know that their waiting list is longer than 18 weeks at the moment, probably double that. Good luck and hope you get your date very soon. Keep phoning and phoning and phoning. Unfortunately Cathy the bariatric nurse is on long term sick right now so its hard to find a point of contact.

Love Kate. x

Yes I saw the surgeon back in April. They agreed to the op and put me on the list in the first week of June, i was advised December until last week and now advised Jan or Feb.

I have been dealing with PALS but they just said i'll have to wait.

It's actually been 3 years since I was referred by my doc

desperate dieter said:
Yes I saw the surgeon back in April. They agreed to the op and put me on the list in the first week of June, i was advised December until last week and now advised Jan or Feb.

I have been dealing with PALS but they just said i'll have to wait.

It's actually been 3 years since I was referred by my doc

No wonder you are getting frustrated. I think most bariatric teams are so snowed under now that we all are waiting a lot longer than predicted. 3 years is such a long time though :(

Good luck xxx

At the support meeting at St. Georges the other night, Scott the dietitian who runs them told us that a couple of years ago they did 140 ops a year and now they are doing 400 so I suppose they have a much longer waiting list now. It's becoming suh a popular proceedure now days. Hope your appointment comes quickly for you. It will be be worth waiting for I promise.

Kate x

Such a shame you out there that have to wait so long, from time I saw my Gp till now is just over a year , I just waiting for a date in jan 2012 which I was told would happen , I could have had it in dec but due to a test I got to have they said Jan, Wirral dose seem to work faster ,

Hope you all get your dates soon , and don't have to wait to long xxx

Hi there nice to meet you,
From beginning to end i had to wait 2 and half years for gastric bypass surgery with the NHS. you dont say what appointments you have had. I had to see a phycologist, the surgeon twice, then the dietician, then i had to see the diabetic clinic... in total since my doctor requested the op which i had one week ago today... i had a total of 17 appointments... so please dont be disheartened. Where are you having surgery?
Rayne x

Raynebubble said:
Hi there nice to meet you,
From beginning to end i had to wait 2 and half years for gastric bypass surgery with the NHS. you dont say what appointments you have had. I had to see a phycologist, the surgeon twice, then the dietician, then i had to see the diabetic clinic... in total since my doctor requested the op which i had one week ago today... i had a total of 17 appointments... so please dont be disheartened. Where are you having surgery?
Rayne x

Hi , saw my Gp in oct 2010 , then had 8 one to one appoints with my dietician weight management , then 6 appointments with phycologist ,then got my funding in oct 2011 , had my pre-assessment at spire murryfield wirral on 3rd nov 2011, then seen surgeon twice end of nov 2011 , and signed my consent form for surgery in Jan 2012

Hi , saw my Gp in oct 2010 , then had 8 one to one appoints with my dietician weight management , then 6 appointments with phycologist ,then got my funding in oct 2011 , had my pre-assessment at spire murryfield wirral on 3rd nov 2011, then seen surgeon twice end of nov 2011 , and signed my consent form for surgery in Jan 2012

thats great news, so all for the set go then... i signed my consent forms in aug 11 and my surgery was nov 25th 11, so that is about the length of most waiting lists i think xx

I'm not sure about other hospitals but St.Georges doesn't have a dedicated Bariatrics dept or ward so Bariatric patients are put onto the general surgical ward which is why there is such a back log. It's quite common to be cancelled evidently because of this because you are competing with a bed with patients being admitted for surgery from A&E that day so you only need an emergency and you're off the list. This of course has a buffering effect on when others will get their dates. St. Georges do off load lots of bariatric patients to St. Anthonys in Cheam though which is helpful. I had to have mine at St G's though because of my previous heart attack and the need to be in a hospital with a cardiac unit just in case.

Kate x

I had my first appointment in Jan and had my opp in July I was under St Georges but they said their lists were very long so they sent me to St Anthony's in Cheam which is a private Hosp all paid for by St Georges I was treated like royalty and all my follow ups are back at St Georges. So fingers crossed the same happens to you xxx

Hi Maxigirl,

I was scheduled to have the op at St Georges on 9th jan but they cancelled it after I had been sitting their all ready in my stockings since 7 in the morning.

It has now been rescheduled to St Anthoneys next Fri so Im hoping that goes ahead, fingers crossed .x

Oh no you poor thing, I know exactly how you feel. I was also cancelled after waiting from 7am till 3pm in the waiting room. At least your op will def go ahead next week at St A's. I had to wait another fortnight and still didn't know if I'd get cancelled again. Luckily mine went ahead.

There are a few of us meeting up at Wetherspoons in Wallington on Sat 21st Jan at 11am if you're feeling up to it by then. You're welcome to bring your partner. It would be lovely to see you as you're so local to some of us.

Good luck with your op.
Love Kate x

Hi Mrs Quiggle,

Would love to have come but having the op on the Friday the 20th so I dont think i'll be any fit state on the Saturday lol.

Will definately come to the next meet up though

Lisa
x

Hi i think you should look at it as a bonus St A is a great place they are so lovely and you get so much attention. They are also very unlikely to cancel as it not a hospital with an a&e attached so no last min emergencys. I could not fault then and they were also great with my family as well. The rooms were like staying in a travellodge. You have your own room your own bathroom and your own tv. It was certainly better than some hotels I've stayed in lol. Wishing you all the best. Xx

Hey DD,
Was just wondering how the surgery went, are you out of hospital yet?
Hope all went well,
Sarah

Back