• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone here under St Georges Hospital?

tasha82

Hi All

I'm new to this site but am really enjoying reading all your posts.

I have my first appointment at St Georges hospital on Monday, its the groupp session, I'm looking forward to it and was really excited that something was finally being done.But after reading many pposts on this site it looks like it could be a long process. So I just wanted to know if there was anyone else who has had surgery at St Georges and could give me an idea as to how long the process was from Group session to operation. Or just anyother information would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to everyone on their journeys.

Thanks

Tasha.xxx

Hi Tasha

Welcome to the forum :)
I had surgery under St Georges on 21st May this year. It was almost two years from my first group session.

Xx

Hi Luckla

Thanks for replying I really appreciate it. But know i feel really deflated thinking that i might have to wait another 2 years!!!!! The way I understand it from here is you have a group information & sign up appointment, then nurse, phsych appt a couple of months later when they put you on the waiting list, then its about a 18 week wait.
What was your eperience with appts and so on. Did you need to attend weight management classes or was it just a very long waiting list?

Thanks

Tasha.x

Hi I am under st georges and from docs referral to op was 16 months . I didn't have to attend any group sessions but maybe this has changed now with weight management . I too was told 18 weeks however since these guidelines couldnt be met I was sent to st anthonys private clinic as were a few others I know of to have our surgery . Everyones timeline is different tho so good luck with your journey x :D

Obviously, they change their procedures frequently.
I didn't have to attend weight management classes, but the dietician suggested changes in my diet that she wanted me to make. I too was told it was an 18 week waiting list.
However long you may have to wait the results will be so worth it! Please don't feel deflated because you will be a different person at the end of it :)
All good things are worth waiting for xx

Fizzy donna said:
Hi I am under st georges and from docs referral to op was 16 months . I didn't have to attend any group sessions but maybe this has changed now with weight management . I too was told 18 weeks however since these guidelines couldnt be met I was sent to st anthonys private clinic as were a few others I know of to have our surgery . Everyones timeline is different tho so good luck with your journey x :D

How are you getting on?
I too had my surgery at St Anthony's on 21/05/2011. When was yours?
Hope everything is going well for you xx

My friend was under St Georges for his gastric sleeve, think it took about 8 months from beginning to operation date, he had op in Jan this year and has lost 35 kilos so far. You are in a great place as St Georges seem to do things a whole lot better than my hospital (princess Royal, Kent) the aftercare at St Georges is brilliant. Good luck x

Thanks for all of your replies I appreciate them all. I know how rewarding the changes will be afterwards, but now i'm so close I want it done asap...well really tomorrow!!!!! But i'm sure the time will pass quickly enough.xx

Hi Tasha :)

I am under St Georges and i went to group meeting in January of this year... Was advised then it would be a year until they sent out appointments, so was looking at a 18 month wait until operation :sigh: ...

Let us know how your meeting goes ..

Nicky xx

Hi Nicky

I was told the same thing at the meeting last night. Looking at about a year wait for assesments and then between 18-26 weeks for opperation.

It just feels really frustrating to finally be told I can get help & then have to wait another 18 months!!!!!

But Im sure everyone feels the same way.

Tasha.x

hi i was under st georges and i waited nearly 2yrs but its well worth the wait but i know what you mean about it cant come quick enough good luck...

I know the results will definatley be worth it. Im sure the time will go quickly.x

Hi Tasha im under st georges..I went to group session last august & had my last app yesterday with my surgeon.Hopingto get opp date within 4 weeks but wont be for 5 months. i think they say a min of 18 months wait :-( but it flies x x

Hi Tasha,

I'm under St Georges. I was referred by my GP in March 2009, I had the group meeting to discuss different types of Surgery in the September 2009.

I had to wait until April 2011 until I received a dietician appointment and then saw the surgeon a couple of weeks later. They then refer your case to a team to discuss if OK to proceed. I was ok'd and put on the list in the first week of June.

I have since been advised that I will have to wait between 18-26 weeks for the op, they are saying its nearer the 26 weeks !. They said i wont be advised of op date for another month or so, i'm hoping i'll get to have it this year :(

Sorry if it sounds negative but I built my hopes up and I always think its better if you know a more reslistic timescale.

Hope you get seen quickly x

Hi there,

I was under St Georges for a time - originally under Ashford & St Peter's then, as they were only offering bands and I was recommended to have a sleeve by my surgeon (Mr Humadi), I was.transferred to St Georges and had to wait 8 months for psychiatrist review, then had to wait 8 weeks for case to go before MDT for the 2nd time.

At that time I was told it would be around 18-26 week wait for surgery then, the day they took my case to MDT, Ashford & St Peter's got news that they were able to offer sleeves and bypasses themselves and so I have been added to their own waiting list and I'm having surgery in 2 weeks time.

From confirmation of funding to surgery will be 17 months, a lot quicker than if I was waiting on the list for St Georges!

Tatiana

Hi, I'm under mr Humadi, but have to have a balloon before he'll do a sleeve. Having it fitted on Thursday at st peters. Would love to hear how u get on with your sleeve.

Hi motiwatts,

Sleeve has been delayed as St Peters will only let Mr Humadi do one op a fortnight instead of the originally planned 2 a week! Have to ring central bookings office again on 3rd October to see if they'll give me a new date!

Whereabouts are you from?

Tatiana

Hi
Had my balloon on Thursday with mr humadi, felt crap ever since! Not taking in enough fluids so may have to go to hospital to get a drip! Constantly throwing up any fluid I do get in, stomach cramps and sleepy! Had to have a general anesthetic so side effects of that too.
Sorry to hear about yours that's a real bummer. Can't believe they did that at the last minute, good luck with getting a new date. I live in Berkshire by the way.
xxx

Sorry to hear it's not going so well as yet. Make sure you get the fluids in but don't leave it too long before seeking assistance as getting dehydrated won't help you either!

Tatiana

How did your phone call go? finally taking in some fluids, managed a cup of clear soup, juice, water and 4tsp of jelly!
xxx

Back