• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St Richards - Chichester

Gemmmmmmmmmma

Hi.

I've been refered to St Richards in Chichester by my doctor for wls.

I've received a questionnaire from them, which I've filled out and sent back. I had to fill in a 5 day food diary, and answer lots of questions about how I feel about myself and family history.

Has anyone else had their wls at St Richards? If so what kind of things can I expect to happen.

My mum and my aunt (their twins) had their wls there 9 years ago, but I'm sure things are a lot different now.

Xxx

Hi Jelly Kelly. Sorry it's taken a while to reply.

Thank you for the info. That's really helpful. I had my questionnaire through a couple of moths ago, and sent it back.
I phoned the hospital to see how long the waiting list is to see a the consultant and was told to expect to weight upto 9 months!

I hate all this waiting and not knowing. It's driving me a little crazy. Xxx

Hi Gemma, I know the wait can be very frustrating, but it will be worth it. Be strong and focus meanwhile. Best of luck for you both and I'm sorry I'm not in Chichester so I can't help much.

Hello.

Today I received a letter from St. Richards asking me to complete an online survey to assess my psychological needs prior to surgery.

The letter says this is to help them decided the best treatment option for me.

Has anyone else had to do this? I know part of the process is a psychological assessments, but I thought it would be with a person not a computer?!?!

Hello. Today I received a letter from St. Richards asking me to complete an online survey to assess my psychological needs prior to surgery. The letter says this is to help them decided the best treatment option for me. Has anyone else had to do this? I know part of the process is a psychological assessments, but I thought it would be with a person not a computer?!?!

Hi Gemma,
It seems to have changed since I did my tier 3 , Feb 2015 - June . The psychologist was face to face. I'm sure if you call them they can explain the tier 3 process to you, to put your mind at rest .

I finished my tier 3 last year in June , at st Richards I decided to look for other hospitals for surgery as it was going to be a year to wait. My gp referred me to queen Alexandra in Portsmouth, for tier 4 . July I had 1st appt saw nurse , dietician and surgeon. 2nd appt anaesthetist 3rd pre and post op diet training. Jan 21st 2016 had my bypass I'm 1 week post op. I can't praise this hospital enough. I took a risk moving hospital I could have waited longer but I'm glad I did .

Last Friday I had my all day appointment with the MDT at St Richards in Chichester. The day consisted of me meeting with the bariatric nurse, dietician, general practitioner and anaesthetist in the morning, and then seeing the consultant and bariatric dietician again in the afternoon to find out if I was approved for surgery or not.

It was a strange day, and I felt ridiculously nervous; though I wasn't the only one. In total there were 9 of us waiting to get approval, all silently sitting and praying they wouldn't say no. One lady was so nervous she was physically shaking. I felt apprehensive, and nauseated.

Luckily, I got a 'yes' for gastric bypass surgery. I think if they had said no, I would have sat in the office and cried untill they changed their minds.

Not everyone got a 'yes' though. A few people had to have more tests before they could be reconsidered, another lady got a 'no' but didn't tell us why. It was awful to see. We have put so much pressure on this surgery, seeing it as our only solution, and the answer to all of our problems, that a 'no' is devastating.

All of the bariatric team I meet were lovely. At no point did anyone make me feel uncomfortable, or blame, or repremanded me for becoming the weight I am. The diatician was particularly understand and supportive, she really seemed to understand when I was explaining to her about my history with food, and the issue I have. At no point did any make me feel uncomfortable, or that I should be ashamed of myself and my body.

My surgery will be within the next 6 months, but they can't tell me exactly when. But 6 months I can do - it will fly by, and hopefully this time next year, I won't recognise myself.

Last Friday I had my all day appointment with the MDT at St Richards in Chichester. The day consisted of me meeting with the bariatric nurse, dietician, general practitioner and anaesthetist in the morning, and then seeing the consultant and bariatric dietician again in the afternoon to find out if I was approved for surgery or not. It was a strange day, and I felt ridiculously nervous; though I wasn't the only one. In total there were 9 of us waiting to get approval, all silently sitting and praying they wouldn't say no. One lady was so nervous she was physically shaking. I felt apprehensive, and nauseated. Luckily, I got a 'yes' for gastric bypass surgery. I think if they had said no, I would have sat in the office and cried untill they changed their minds. Not everyone got a 'yes' though. A few people had to have more tests before they could be reconsidered, another lady got a 'no' but didn't tell us why. It was awful to see. We have put so much pressure on this surgery, seeing it as our only solution, and the answer to all of our problems, that a 'no' is devastating. All of the bariatric team I meet were lovely. At no point did anyone make me feel uncomfortable, or blame, or repremanded me for becoming the weight I am. The diatician was particularly understand and supportive, she really seemed to understand when I was explaining to her about my history with food, and the issue I have. At no point did any make me feel uncomfortable, or that I should be ashamed of myself and my body. My surgery will be within the next 6 months, but they can't tell me exactly when. But 6 months I can do - it will fly by, and hopefully this time next year, I won't recognise myself.

Hi Gemma, That's good it's all changed in one year since I had my MDT . Your op in 6 months fantastic news

Last edited:
That's good news. It is a hard thing putting ourselves through all this and having all that pressure on one day is sounds majorly exhausting!. I am NHS and have had to do it over a period of 14 months. I had to see a different member of the MDT on each visit, a four hour return journey, and that was bad enough! I should have my sleeve within 6 months so we may be able to be op buddies?

That's good news. It is a hard thing putting ourselves through all this and having all that pressure on one day is sounds majorly exhausting!. I am NHS and have had to do it over a period of 14 months. I had to see a different member of the MDT on each visit, a four hour return journey, and that was bad enough! I should have my sleeve within 6 months so we may be able to be op buddies?

Op buddies sounds good to me :) I literally can't wait. I go to bed at night dreaming of the "new" me. I have so many hopes and expectations. Xxx

Hi.

I've been refered to St Richards in Chichester by my doctor for wls.

I've received a questionnaire from them, which I've filled out and sent back. I had to fill in a 5 day food diary, and answer lots of questions about how I feel about myself and family history.

Has anyone else had their wls at St Richards? If so what kind of things can I expect to happen.

My mum and my aunt (their twins) had their wls there 9 years ago, but I'm sure things are a lot different now.

Xxx

Hi Gemma
I just read your post on introduce yourself and I have my assessment day this week at St richards too.. I'm really excited but also scared as I don't really know what to expect. I have completed my phsicologist survey about drink drugs and suicide which I was surprised about I guess they need to see what state of mind you are in ...I'm very boring when it comes to that sort of stuff ...lol. Can you tell me if you took your partner with you or anyone else to the day ...my husband is coming with me and I hope that it is ok ...he wants to know about stuff too and I think it will be good that he is there when I go through stuff...I'm really scared I won't be excepted I have loads of questions ...did you ask lots of stuff? One of my clients (I'm a hairdresser) had a bypass just over a year ago and she looks and feels fabulous and she recommended I get refered to st richards as she said they are amazing there.If you could let me know a bit about your experience I woukd be so grateful ....thank you look forward to hearing from you xxx tuu

Hi Tuu.

I'm am happy to share my experiences with you. I was really nervous and apprehensive before my MDT appointment, but trust me, everyone was so kind and understanding.

Not once did anyone I meet make me feel judged or uncomfortable.

I didn't take my husband with me, because I get really snappy when stressed and anxious and didn't want to be mean to him, but a lot of other people did. One man had 3 people with him.

I arrived at 9am and signed in at reception. Once everyone arrived (there were nine of us in total) we were taken individually to have our height measured and be weighed.

We then took it in turns to go in and see the different members of the MDT. I saw the diatician first, followed by the GP, bariatric nurse and anaesthetist.

They ask you a lot of questions, but they are not designed to trick you or catch you out - just be honest and you will be fine.

I took a note book with questions in that I had written. I recommend you do this, because you will want to ask things, and all the information you receive can be a little overwhelming you might forget to ask something.

I was asked what op I wanted, and why. What concerns fears I have about surgery. I was asked about my eating habits and what I knew about eating habits and possible complications post surgery. I was asked why I want surgery, and about my support system at home.

One of the questions I asked, was: what potential problems/issues could stop me from being approved for surgery.
I was told that by the stage I was at (MDT) I was pretty much garenteed aproval, and was an excellent candidate for surgery. She told me the only thing that would stop/prevent approval would be if the surgery was not in the best interest of the patient and would make health/mental health conditions worse.

After this we were sent for lunch, and given a time to be back by. During this, we were all discussed with the consultant and they decided if we were approved or not.

When we came back from lunch, we were called one by one into see the consultant, and told yes or no. The consultant went through the operation with me and explained why the gastric bypass (the op I wanted) was the one recommend for me. I could then ask any questions I had.

I was told surgery would be within 6 months, but he couldn't be more specific. St Richards is the centre for clinical excellence in the UK for bariatric surgery, so I can understand why the waiting times are so long.

After seeing the consultant, I went back in to see the diatician who gave me information on pre op diets and the different supplements I need to start taking (and will need to continue taking).

After this I was free to go home.

It was a very long emotional day, but I felt on cloud 9 after being approved.

Good luck with you appointment. I'm possitive you will be fine. Let me know how you get on, or if you have any more questions. Xxx

Last edited:
Incase it is helpful, below is a list of some of the questions I asked.

1. Which surgery would you recommend for me and why?

2. What are the potential complications, and how common are they?

3. How much weight will I lose?

4. How many operations have you done and what is your fatality rate?

5. What after care will I recieve?

6. How long will I be in hospital?

7. How long will I be off work? And do I need my partner to take any time off when I first come home from the hospital.

8. How long does the operation take?

9. What can I do before surgery to help improve/lessen any complications during the surgery?

10. How long do I have to wait after surgery before trying to conceive?

11. Will I have to have a catheter fitted?

12. Why does your hair fall out post op?

Wow Gemma that is so so helpful. thankyou do much for taking the time to tell me all that. having read about what to expect it's made me feel a little calmer. I too am erring towards the bypass as I think it would be better for me as so much weight to lose I'm 5ft 4 and 23st. I can't wait to hopefully get rid of this burden on my life. I am now 45 and it's starting to effect my life I try so hard for it not to but there's no getting away from it it does.. last year I was told I am borderline type 2 diabetic and also verging on high cholesterol so I know have to take metformin and artorvostatin I want to ask about taking medication as well. your questions were really helpful what dud they say about the catheter? that's something I've been worrying about too. have you got a followup appointment Gemma or do they leave you to mull it over for a bit. We live near Hastings and so we are traveling there night before and staying in travel lodge as it's 9am start and I don't want to be worrying about traffic. Was parking easy there? what did they say about eating and diet from now on after appointment have you got to follow special diet I've heard people talk about the milk diet to reduce liver size. xxxx

Hi Tuu.

Thank you for that link. I found it really interesting. I've also download the bariatric app, it looks really helpful.

In answer to your questions:

*they said no to the catheter. Thank god!

*there is plenty of parking, so don't worry. Make sure you go to car park B though, as is you park in the other one its quite a walk. (When you drive into the hospital turn left).

* I live in Eastbourne, so not far from you, I left home at 6.45am, as was worried about traffic, but I got there 40 minutes early.

* The bariatric nurse will give you information on pre ops (milk diet) that you need to do a few weeks prior to surgery, but no other eating plan. She advised me to start trying to implement the changes I will need to make now, so it's not so hard after surgery - no fizzy drinks, alcohol, fatty foods and watch the amount of simple carbs I am eating. Also portion control and drinking more water!
She didn't give me a weight loss goal, or target, but asked I don't put any weigh on (Or get pregnant) before surgery.

* I was told the next appointment I would get, would be my pre op appointment, but I do know some of the others had to come back for Teir 3 meetings, and sleep apnoea investigations.

I hope this helps. Anything else, just ask. Xxx

Well it's here my MDT app day ....yikes...thankyou Gemma for all your advise it's really been helpful to know what to expect. xxx

hi Gemma I got approval for gastric bypass...yipeee everyone was lovely like you said and so much info very interesting. 6 months wait now ...but I can do that ...I've got thread on pre op diaries..dixie journey in East Sussex xxxxxx

Back