• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

start my milk diet

walnutwhip

well all just had a phone call to say my bypass is going ahead on 28th march and to start my 3 week milk diet today, as i had already eaten normal foods today i have decided to begin the milk diet in the morning and have a celebration meal tonight as tomorrow is the start of my new life, i am feeling quite anxious about it as i dont really like milk or yoghurt and th dietician said there was no other option available to me so i am going to force myself to get through the next 3 weeks.
I need some ideas from all you lovely people regarding what to eat i know i can have milky coffees to get the milk down but i dont fancy sitting down to a meal of 2 servings of veg for the next 3 weeks as i struggle with not having them in some kind of sauce or along with meat, i am going to have the jelly with some fruit and a yoghurt kind of like a trifle im also making some small pots of jelly with fruit in it and frezzing some yoghurts but im stuck with the veg, i know salad will be a problem as i like to have mayo or coleslaw with it im feeling a little stuck any help would be appreciated guys

hey ww :) great news! cant help you im afraid, im pre op, but just wanted to say good luck, yay :D xxx

Have you got a milk diet sheet? I did the milk diet & there was no salad, fruit or veg on the list ... just milk, yoghurt & vitamin tablets :wave_cry: I know all surgeons have their own ideas about which liver diet works best so if you don't have a diet sheet, I would ask for one. Congratulations on you op date & extra good luck for your diet :):) xxx

:welcome:

i have a diet booklet from the hospital i can have 2 - 3 pints of milk 2 low fat yoghurts 2 servings of friut 2-3 servings of veg/salad unlimited sugar free jelly and unlimited tea/coffe/nas juice/water/veg soup and vitamin tablet daily.
Today has been ok i have had about 1 pint milk a yoghurt 1 serving fruit some jelly and around 2 pints fluid but i am hungry and craving sugar in my coffee i have switched this for sweetners but i suppose it will take me some time to adjust to it, i have a headache just now probably as i know i cant have the sugar and food i am craving.
I am lost as to what i can do with the veg though as i do not fancy having a plate of veg everyday for the next 3 weeks and i cant have salad with no mayo or coleslaw on i have tried too many times i was gonna put some garlic powder and spices on and have it like that but i dont think i can do it everyday.
I have been thinking of maybe having some highlights hot choc this evening but it isnt on the list so dont know if i dare do this i will wait and ring the hospital on monday to ask as i do not want to go through all this to find out i have done something wrong. how long will it be before my body goes in to ketosis? i have been told that days 4 and 5 will be the hardest

walnutwhip said:
i have a diet booklet from the hospital i can have 2 - 3 pints of milk 2 low fat yoghurts 2 servings of friut 2-3 servings of veg/salad unlimited sugar free jelly and unlimited tea/coffe/nas juice/water/veg soup and vitamin tablet daily.
Today has been ok i have had about 1 pint milk a yoghurt 1 serving fruit some jelly and around 2 pints fluid but i am hungry and craving sugar in my coffee i have switched this for sweetners but i suppose it will take me some time to adjust to it, i have a headache just now probably as i know i cant have the sugar and food i am craving.
I am lost as to what i can do with the veg though as i do not fancy having a plate of veg everyday for the next 3 weeks and i cant have salad with no mayo or coleslaw on i have tried too many times i was gonna put some garlic powder and spices on and have it like that but i dont think i can do it everyday.
I have been thinking of maybe having some highlights hot choc this evening but it isnt on the list so dont know if i dare do this i will wait and ring the hospital on monday to ask as i do not want to go through all this to find out i have done something wrong. how long will it be before my body goes in to ketosis? i have been told that days 4 and 5 will be the hardest

I would use chopped tomatoes and make a veg curry :)

Days 4 and 5 are usually easier than days 2-3

How are you doing now?

hi fuffs im ok just feeling a bit sickly from all the milk i have found the first 3 days ok apart from all the milk lol i dont know if i can last another 2 and half weeks with the 2 - 3 pints a day. i have an appointment with the dietician tmorrow so going to ask her for some advice as to what i can do, it wouold be easier if we were allowed to alternate diets each week for some kind of variety. i am doing ok with the jelly to be honest as i normally cant stand it and have happily eaten it and also frozen grapes have been a god send, had to sit down today to jelly fruit and yoghurt while the rest of the family were having a roast but it really didnt bother me at all

walnutwhip said:
hi fuffs im ok just feeling a bit sickly from all the milk i have found the first 3 days ok apart from all the milk lol i dont know if i can last another 2 and half weeks with the 2 - 3 pints a day. i have an appointment with the dietician tmorrow so going to ask her for some advice as to what i can do, it wouold be easier if we were allowed to alternate diets each week for some kind of variety. i am doing ok with the jelly to be honest as i normally cant stand it and have happily eaten it and also frozen grapes have been a god send, had to sit down today to jelly fruit and yoghurt while the rest of the family were having a roast but it really didnt bother me at all

Glad you are okish :)

My hospital give 5 options that can be alternated between. I have stuck to VLCD meal replacements do far. Got to do 4 weeks all in all.

Hope the dietician gives you some relief from all that milk :)

well feel a bit better today after seeing dietician, told her the problems i am having with the milk diet and she said i could change to the low cal food one but since i had already got almost a 5 days in to it it may be hard, so i decided to stick with what i am doing, and she told me to drop the veg if i wanted and have it once or twice a week, also the tomato soup s fine as long as it is weight watchers or similar cant be the 'cream of tomato' type lol so been and stocked up on loads of tomato soup and tomorrow going for other varieties, had soup fro evening meal and it was divine lmao, i can up my yoghurts to 3 a day. and i got weighed and i have lost 8lb since friday omg 4 days and 8lb lighter i am sooooo happy

well not wrote in here much as i have been trying not to think about things too much, have managed the 3 weeks pre op milk diet had a few slip ups when i have been feeling down i ate 2 crisps one night then gave the rest of the packet to my daughter as i felt so guilty, i have only got to go until wednesday when i go in to hospital for my op. This morning i got up feeling ill was shaking, sweating, feeling sick and dizzy, thinking i have a bug and my op will need to be cancelled i rang my mum who told me to calm down and see how i am later then i developed a sore throat?? my other half rang me and was talking to me asking how i am i told him and he said to me it is your nerves that is all and i burst in to tears, the sore throat is not real as are the other ill feelings i have, i have managed to stop shaking and feeling sick and dizzy, just cant stop the tearful feelings that i am having, i have to admit i am scared and i even had thoughts about ringing the team and saying i dont want the op but my wonderful partner told me that i may as well go ahead as i have got this far and if i dont do it i will regret it forever, but what ever i decide he will be here for me. I wouldnt really cancel it just some emotions that i am going through just now, i havent packed my bag yet so to me its not real just now.
I am finding that i have a taste in my mouth that is a bit like caramelised milk and i cant get rid of it, i have tried so many things and it still remains, i am not managing to get the jelly, veg or fruit just now and having milk and yoghurts only as i dont feel that hungry. i just hope my liver has shrunk enough as i dont think i could go through this again it has been a long long journey for me

Hi

I'm Anna, I could have written your thread four years ago. I felt just like you feel today, I wanted to cancel I was so scared thinking if I tried on my own one more time I would do it. I was kidding myself, the surgery saved my life - it gave me back my life. I lost 18 stone and I've never looked back. Be brave and you too will get to the other side.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

My op is Friday. So in my last few days of my pre op too. My sleep pattern has gone crazy! My bag is packed, as I always forget things when I pack last minute.

I was a crying mess yesterday morning. The op makes me nervous. But the unknown after makes me more nervous.

I think this journey pulls us through every human emotion. We will get there!!!

Sophie you have done so well... I am now the scary cat !! and when I cry you will be sitting all done and dusted.

I am going to have to ask you about pre op diets.. I think that I have to start mine next Monday.. It is my pre op so will ask all the questions then.

Thinking of you.. nearly there girl !! xx

Minoots said:
Sophie you have done so well... I am now the scary cat !! and when I cry you will be sitting all done and dusted.

I am going to have to ask you about pre op diets.. I think that I have to start mine next Monday.. It is my pre op so will ask all the questions then.

Thinking of you.. nearly there girl !! xx

I will help you as much as possible chick :D xxx

im feeling much better this evening so im going to have a late night wander around tesco's and get everything i need for when i get home. sick of the sight of milk now but only tomorrow to go and i will be free of it for a few days lol. ive got all my things together that i need to put in my bag but will pack it tomorrow night. daughter is going to stay at mums from tomorrow so i will have a quiet night with my other half and an early night as i have to be up at 5am to get to the hospital on time.

Back