• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting Again

Muttley1900

After an aborted attempt to have a gastric band earlier this year (January), due to finding out I had high blood pressure and needing to get that under control before going for any surgery, my blood pressure is now "within a normal range".

So I started the process off again, but this time around I've thought some more re Band vs Sleeve.

Why did I want to go for a Band as opposed to a Sleeve - this was a question someone asked me and I suppose the answer was, well it can be reversed if I want it to be. But why would I want it reversed? My issue always was/is not losing weight, but keeping it off.

So remove the band and I would very probably gain weight again. Then looking into all of the fill / defill / port issues that some have talked about the "low maintenance option" that the Sleeve offers seems very appealing for me.

I started the consults off, some wanted me to go down the "wrap" route, but I think there still isn't enough longterm research for me so I have opted for a provider and surgeon who were very happy with the option of a Sleeve for me, even though I have a relatively low BMI. My and their thoughts are with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a family history of heart disease, the risk of surgery is far outweighed by the risk of staying obese.

Anyway, surgery is booked for the second week of July so two weeks or so before moving onto my pre-op diet - yum yum!

I suppose the answer was, well it can be reversed if I want it to be. But why would I want it reversed?

This was my thinking as well when some people said that opting to have 80% of your stomach removed forever (chucked out / flung away !!) is rather drastic ........ I thought why on earth would I want it back ????

Having a football sized stomach has only led to me getting fatter and fatter over the past 44 years !!!

Good luck with your op!

Thanks Sharonimo.

Yes, the restriction is what I need. I can understand why others may want things to be reversible (perhaps pregnancy, perhaps have managed to have a full de-fill and are maintaining well), but for me and the number of times I've gone up and down I believe it wouldn't work for me.

good luck when it comes

Back