• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

stay in hospital

pinkprincess77

Hi could anyone please give me an idea on how long they had to stay in hospital following a gastric sleeve please? Also are you ok to get back to nomal every day tasks once back home? I'm asking because I am a lone parent and I have a 7yr old son and he will be staying with my my and dad whilst im in hospital. Im not telling hin what im going in for and hoping I will be able to go on as normal once I'm home apart from the food side of things. X

after reading posts on here/other sites i would say NO
Reason being you can't drive home as the seat belt could damage your operation( internal )in an emergency stop.
they advise 4-6 weeks of none strenuous activity (ie no lifting heavy weights),poss be less as everyones different
some post ops will advise better

I've had a bypass and it took me about 6 weeks just to have the energy to think about getting back to normal. You will be having major surgery. You will need time to heal both physically and mentally. On average your hospital stay will be about two days. You won't be able to lift anything over 10lb or drive for six weeks. The most simple tasks will wear you out. It's difficult to sleep for the first few weeks, as you can't lay flat or on your side. You may need help to look after your little boy for a few weeks post op x

Last edited:
Thanks paula im sure my mum and dad will be able to help and I know my dad or boyfriend will fetch me home so I've no need to drive so thats good. X

Hi I had my sleeve on Tuesday and was released on the Sunday, but i went abroad. I was back at work after 2 weeks. No heavy lifting for up to 6 weeks. I drove after ten days. I was tired for about two weeks but thats all.

Thanks everyone for replying x

Hi I had surgery Friday. I was in from Thurs to Sunday. I was very tired Mon and Tues and today I feel loads better, planning on venturing out for an hour or so tomorrow. I haven't had painkillers since Tuesday but if u bend it can be uncomfortable. I have relaxed and been in my PJs since coming back! Also it is important to pre prepare food. Not sure I would have been upto cooking earlier in the week x

Thanks borogirl glad you're doing well. Hope you have a good day tomorrow. X

Back