• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stew or whatever you wanna call it?

well i think i'm going to have to do stew now as well :) What we all doing tomorrow then ?

Argos sale Rayne!!! They have their value slow cooker in the sale for £5.99 at the mo!! The code for it is 422/8613

I've got two - a massive one which never gets used now (unless visitors are coming!) and a tiny little one which is perfect for a couple of chops or chicken thighs. There's nothing better than walking through the door to the smell of a stew or casserole, or BBQ flavoured ribs, or mustard gammon, or caribbean style pork........ or......... or........ OMG now my mouth is watering!! I'm getting my pot roast recipe book out right now!! :D

well i think i'm going to have to do stew now as well :) What we all doing tomorrow then ?
going to the jeremy kyle waiting room :( (dole office in Basildon) wwaaahhhhh :cry:

Argos sale Rayne!!! They have their value slow cooker in the sale for £5.99 at the mo!! The code for it is 422/8613

wow really...gonna look now and reserve thanks x

poo just tried to reserve and they are out of stock.... but i am going to tesco later so i will look at there value ones there xx..im all excited now i want one!!

Last edited:
OMG my stew smells lush.... just thought i would share very basic recipe...

Diced Beef (cooked in oven first, then diced even smaller)
diced swede and Carrots
bag of chopped onion
Tin of green beans
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Bovril beef stock
grounded garlic
mixed herbs
salt and pepper

NOM NOM NOM cant wait to try it.... made loads lol.. everone can come for dinner...
right no need to make room in the freezer lol

We often do brisket in the slow cooker, on a bed of onions in a 1:3 mix of beer or red wine and water cooked for 18 hours. Unbelievably tender!

I tried to do a chicken I'm mine a while back , unfortunately it disintegrated when I tried to take it out , it was also dry & tasteless :(

Best thing I have found for cooking chicken (especially breasts which can be a bit dry) is a halogen oven. They come out really juicy.

For roasting. I finally discovered (well tried) roasting bags. I've never had a more succulent roast chicken in my life. The meat falls off the bone and melts in the mouth. Not expensive either. Under a couple of £ for a pack of 5 in Asda.

What's the best way of cooking joints in a slow cooker, I've never done it before.

We need some winter warmer slow cooker recipes for the recipe section.

Kate x

we do now as im going to tesco later to buy one!!! lol

A couple of hours ago I started a stew off in mine. Massive amounts of onion and sewing beef cut into big chunks, a couple of potatoes, three carrots and a handfull of sprouts. A veg stock cube (ran out of beef oxo cubes).... note to self, get more oxo cubes, ninny.... anyway, and enough water to cover it. I have used a big pack of beef because I like to have it for the next few days. Tonight i will eat half the veggies that are in it and the other half tomorrow and then on the third night I will have the left over meat with a baked pot, which I eat hardly any off but you have to show willing lol.

KATE.
On a day when you are in the house try this way of roasting a joint or a chicken.
Slice up an onion and sprinkle it with some mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Place your bit of meat or chicken on top of them and drizzle or brush with olive oil. Put the lid on the slow cooker and leave it on high for an hourish, check after an hour if the onions are cooked, if they are then place about a soup ladle's worth of water or better still veg stock onto the onion (hot stock) and put the lid back on, leave it on high for another half hour and then turn it to the next setting down, could be medium or low depending on your slow cooker. Keep checking it till it is done. I like herbs sprinkled on top of the joint too and some chunky salt. Of course you wont get crunchy crackling on top of pork or crust on top of things but the meat will be lovely. If not too much fat has come out of the meat onto the onions you could make gravy from the onions and residue.
Let me know if you try it.
Lynne x

Sounds great may try that. I assume you could blast it for a bit at the end in the oven to try & make the skin into crackling or remove it from the joint & roast for a bit on its own for other family members who can't live without the crackling.

penelope1008 said:
Sounds great may try that. I assume you could blast it for a bit at the end in the oven to try & make the skin into crackling or remove it from the joint & roast for a bit on its own for other family members who can't live without the crackling.

You could just cut the skin off the joint prior to putting it in the slow cooker.
Dry with kitchen towel, rub bit of oil then sprinkle with salt. Then put it in the oven to roast on its own. Bobs ya Uncle and even if he's not you'll have good tasty crackling lol

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

i brought one... a crockpot 2.5 ltr for tesco..it cost me £14 but defo gonna be trying it out xxx

Brilliant Rayne!! I have to say, all this talk has made me dig out my slow cooker/crockpot recipe books and all the recipe clippings I have collected over the years - I plan to make 2012 The Year Of The Crockpot!! The other great thing about them is that you can buy much much cheaper cuts of meat, as you cook for so long that even the tougher cuts like beef skirt etc fall apart when cooked this way! So it's economical too! :D

ooh im all excited about cooking now.... gonna have to get your recipes from you snagglepuss xx

Before you buy any recipe books, check out food.com. There are some great ones for crock pot on there.

ooh thankyou Jenny... give me something to do tmro xxx

Back