• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Still Thinking About Eating

lilyc

Hi All
I had my bypass 3 weeks ago and everyone said I probably wouldnt feel like eating but that is not the case. I am still thinking about food a lot. I dont think I'm eating too much but I am worried that I will start to if I cant stop thinking about eating. Im still off work so boredom is probably a factor but thats got to change. Has anyone had the same thing? Its really worrying me.

Parsnip

It's quite normal I think. One of the biggest challenges is fighting head hunger. It's why surgery is a tool and not a magical fix. It's still early days, assuming you're on purées now? How are you getting on with them?

lilyc

Just looking at pureed food is making feel sick but Im getting it in. I am eating sooner than planned quite often because I cant stop thinking about eating.

Hi lilyc - it’s funny you should say that! I’m almost a fortnight post bypass and not only do I find myself thinking about food a lot, I’m finding that I’m actually hungry. Physical hunger which soup alone doesn’t seem to stave off. I’ve started very soft, high protein stuff (cottage cheese, mashed up tuna) to see if that helps. I was panicking last night thinking I’ve gone through all this and it hasn’t worked! Did anyone else feel hunger or is it just me?

Sarnie

When you're in the early stages you can feel hungry because your restriction isn't there properly yet, liquids and purees slip through easily, you'll feel better restriction when you start eat normal solid food, it fils you up better and stays in the pouch longer. So feeling hungry and thinking about food is normal. The head hunger doesn't go away for a lot of people, that's still a constant struggle, but the size of the pouch helps you to stop over eating x

Hi Sarnie and thanks for your reply. That makes sense. I must confess I’ve been eating slightly more textured food and I’m certainly feeling fuller. I weighed myself this morning and in two weeks I’ve lost seventeen pounds. Amazing x

lilyc

Thanks Sarnie and well done Littlebigwoman.
I think its the head hunger I need to get a grip on, I just dont know how!

Sarnie

Hi Sarnie and thanks for your reply. That makes sense. I must confess I’ve been eating slightly more textured food and I’m certainly feeling fuller. I weighed myself this morning and in two weeks I’ve lost seventeen pounds. Amazing x
That's really good hun, well done x

Sarnie

Thanks Sarnie and well done Littlebigwoman.
I think its the head hunger I need to get a grip on, I just dont know how!
We all still struggle with that one and all I can say is try and get a handle on that early on, find things that work for you to distract yourself from head hunger, because for me I didn't have it early on, but 10 months out now I do, still the evening time for me my head wanted to eat, so I try and really fill myself up with the evening meal and plan evening snacks to try and keep it healthy and low cal, I know its going to happen so I have to plan for it if that makes sense x

Last edited:

Lalapo

I’m 5 months out and I had VGS - I get hungry and need to eat. My weight loss has slowed down. Is there anything I can do better?

Bling Babe

Hi All
I had my bypass 3 weeks ago and everyone said I probably wouldnt feel like eating but that is not the case. I am still thinking about food a lot. I dont think I'm eating too much but I am worried that I will start to if I cant stop thinking about eating. Im still off work so boredom is probably a factor but thats got to change. Has anyone had the same thing? Its really worrying me.
I remember watching back to back cookery programs when I had my surgery, I was of work for 7 or 8 weeks so that’s how I filled my time xx

Sarnie

I’m 5 months out and I had VGS - I get hungry and need to eat. My weight loss has slowed down. Is there anything I can do better?
Like I said before plan your meals and snacks and try and stick to it. How many calories are you having a day? I was told to eat every 4 hours.

Lalapo

Like I said before plan your meals and snacks and try and stick to it. How many calories are you having a day? I was told to eat every 4 hours.
I can eat a lot. Calories average 1000. I know it’s too much but I eat crisps and they are my venom! Lol 😂 no helping some.

Sarnie

I can eat a lot. Calories average 1000. I know it’s too much but I eat crisps and they are my venom! Lol 😂 no helping some.
I have more calories than that. And I just still love food, every day is still a struggle x

Lalapo

Thanks for the reply. I can see from reading posts everyOne of us are different. Also seeing the averages I think I am on track. I think when you left to your own devices you overthink things. I can see now it’s normal to slow down. It’s good to hear people’s experiences. We all need to support each other.

Sarnie

Thanks for the reply. I can see from reading posts everyOne of us are different. Also seeing the averages I think I am on track. I think when you left to your own devices you overthink things. I can see now it’s normal to slow down. It’s good to hear people’s experiences. We all need to support each other.
Yes this journey is full of surprising ups and downs, just gotta keep doing the best we can, especially at the moment x