• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stopping smoking for pre op diet

Baileyamber

Hi guys, hope your all well,

Well the milk diet starts on monday, so glad i only have to do one week. Really trying to cut back this week in preperation for the milk diet and can cope with the low calorie diet and no alcohol but finding it soooo hard to quit smoking, has anyone else had this problem and could it really affect my surgery if I don't completely quit?
I want to do everything i can to be in the best condition for my op but just feel as though im giving up everything i enjoy at once and its harder than i thought it would be :cry:

It can affect your breathing, recovery and healing time post op, so if you can stop you'll do yourself a great favour :)

Sorry, I am a non-smoker so I can't help you on this front :( There must be people on here who have been in the same situation so hopefully they will be along shortly to help you out... :) x When is your op?

It's on the 25th March, 1 week on Monday eeek!

My care coodinator told me not to stress over it too much but i really dont want to jepordise having my surgery done or cause myself any health problems, I'm already really scared about having the actual op

Sorry meant 25th Feb, not March lol

I have managed to give up using the electronic cigarette. My surgeon says he won't operate on smokers (could just be a scare tactic)
I used iCig from Amazon. Give them a go x

I can't help as I gave up smoking 4 years ago, but I had the same surgeon that you're due to have although not via the same provider! What a fab guy he is - and a bonus that he uses glue at the time of the op so you can shower etc straight away :)

Sorry meant 25th Feb, not March lol

Oh wow - not long then! :)

During my bariatric assessment to determine my fitness for surgery, the surgeon also mentioned to me that they would not operate on a smoker? I'm not sure how they can tell though? And whether different providers have different criteria? x x

Oh wow - not long then! :)

During my bariatric assessment to determine my fitness for surgery, the surgeon also mentioned to me that they would not operate on a smoker? I'm not sure how they can tell though? And whether different providers have different criteria? x x

Hi they make you blow into a carbon tester gizmo
X

They can tell, but not all surgeons ask you to quit. It's usually the private surgeons who aren't that bothered. In Derby it's part of the referral criteria that your a non smoker. If you smoke, they don't accept your referral.

Same in North Tyneside. They make you blow. The surgeon told me he cancelled one lady as she had a tab at her pre op assessment ! It's to do with the nerves being attached in your new stomach.

Thanks for the replies, and rudders I will definatly

Oops not finished ! Rudders- I will deffo try the electronic cig, apparently they sell really good ones in cartridge world, all different flavours :)
THG booklet says to keep off nicotine replacement ASWELL which I'm confused about- I mean can nicotine really affect recovery? Surely it's the smoke and tar etc what are harmful??

Also, when I had my gall bladder removed a year ago stopping smoking wasn't even mentioned pre op- this is why I wasn't sure how important it was. I do want to stop as I want to be as healthy and fit as possible as I'm loosing weight but to do it now whilst cutting everything else out is hard going! X

I can't help as I gave up smoking 4 years ago, but I had the same surgeon that you're due to have although not via the same provider! What a fab guy he is - and a bonus that he uses glue at the time of the op so you can shower etc straight away :)

Oooh that is good, did not like the clips I had in after my gall bladder op. its great to hear good things about my surgeon as I haven't actually met him yet- it was someone else at my consultation x

Same in North Tyneside. They make you blow. The surgeon told me he cancelled one lady as she had a tab at her pre op assessment ! It's to do with the nerves being attached in your new stomach.

Do you mean it slows down the healing? I wouldn't want to cause any damage to the nerves or anything x

Back