• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Giving up smoking for op

thinkbethin

:eek: Hi there, how did any of you smokers get on with stopping and doing pre op diet?? I know I have to stop for the op to be safer but I know when I'm on pre op diet its going to be really hard. I smoke mostly out of boredem and I'm really dreading the idea of no ciggies and no food. any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks, xxGaynorxx:sigh::sigh:

Hi ya

This is how i gave up smoking.

went doctor got patches put one on before i went to bed so i got a good dose for the morning.

I got a inhaler from boots and chewed on that all day and took a puff when i needed a boost.

After about a week i cut the patches in half but kept on the inhaler.

each week i made the patch smaller untill i didnt use one just the inhaler.

After a while i stopped using the inhaler so much untill i stopped all together.

I stopped for 3 years and last month while stressed and on the beer i started again . but i plan to stop again next week and do it the same way i found it better that way.

Also add some excersize and you will do it

Best of luck

Hi Gaynor

A friend of mine and I went along to the NHS smoking cessation service. They were wonderful and we were both prescribed Champix tablets. 16 months later and we are both still not smoking. It was sooooooooo easy to give up! After about 10 days I just didn't want to smoke, I'd light up and not fancy it at all. I can't say there aren't times (usually stressful ones) when I could murder a cigarette but it does feel great to be free of the addiction.

Lots of luck!

Lx

Thanks Frosty and Lizziebee, I think its the hand to mouth bit thats going to be the hardest especially when I go on the pre op of milk and yoghurt. WE have a stop smoking place at our hospital so I think I'm going to nip down there later. Thanks for replying Gaynor xx

Hi Gaynor, I'm on the milk diet at the moment. I had thought about giving up smoking at the same time but for me it was a no-brainer, I can't give up both of my crutches at once. The doc said nothing about it so am going to give up (again) when am more balanced. I'm aware that I should and I hope you manage it, hopefully you are stronger than me x

Hi,
I'm 3 weeks post op and smoked right up to the day before my surgery. Strangely, i haven't felt the need to smoke since which is really weird because i've been a constant smoker for 25 years. I think because i didn't fancy one immediately afterwards and i didn't have any in the house it made it easier to keep putting off buying any. I still can't ever see myself as a 'non-smoker' but i'm taking it day by day.

I can remember the day I decided to quit, I bought a packet of ten and said when they are gone, they are gone.

I never smoked again, never felt the craving and glad that I made that choice.

That was 27th December 2005.

It was simple for me but I wish you luck, that you can be strong and quit, I can tell you - you will never regret making a good choice for you, your family and for people around you.

Thanks all of you, and well done to those who did stop. I feel the same as Quetiapina, how can you stop both food and ciggies at the same time. Its not good but I suppose if I could cut down it would be a bonus. I'll probably be like you serenity and have them upto day of op. NO WILLPOWER that should be my name lol. x Gaynor x

1 of my ops was delayed because i said i smoked they delayed me 3 months and said if id quit by then they would do me, i still smoke now, but said i dont i would like to quit long term now tho.

well i gave up smoking at the same time of referral for gastric bypass a year ths week!! unfortunatly and strangely i became increasingly stressed over the last couple of weeks having my hopes raised and lost for the op date oh yes and work commitments being a real nightmare i started again last week again so bloody stupid of me and really dont know why but when i gave up my weight did increase dramatically i guess instead of going for a cigarette i went for a packet of crisps.... im off to drs Thursday so will chat to him and see if i can go on something to help the cravings again one thing i will say i gave up very easily taking zyban but it has some horrible side effects, hope this helps.. xxx

Hi Tubbyspud, my hubby took those and stopped smoking. He started again with the stress of me being ill (my fault just for a change lol). Aren't they supposed to be for depression??? any way apparently I cant have them because of heart problems . I but what the bloody hell is smoking doing to it. I have no willpower as I said before hence why I'm here in the first place lol xx Gaynor xx

they are a form of antidepressant apparently as well as a craving saver!!! i have to say after taking them for 4 weeks i had stopped by that time, i was standing in tesco not really knowing why i was there roaming the isles feeling very sick, faint with pallpitations.. i stopped them because i knew it was them if anything they were a depressant more than an antidepressant lol.. wont have them again champix at the time was not not onoffer unless zyban had been tried, thathas since changed thank goodness. Hope all is well with you Gaynor xxx

Back