• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

strange and totally inappropriate craving post op

paddyp

Well I'm 4 weeks today and doing ok with food although the last few days have been odd as I really don't fancy anything and keep forgetting to eat and drink which I know is very wrong. i've not had any cravings or particular fancies but tonight I am absolutely craving a donner kebab - and yes I know it's full of absolute rubbish and not something I would even consider eating now but either way, the craving is really strong. Have any of you post oppers suddenly fancied something you know you would never eat - and if so how do you overcome those feelings?

Thanks

Sx

I'm 3 weeks post-op, and last week I was desperate for a savoury from the chipper. I have never had a savoury, they look vilely greasy. If I ever did get something from the chipper it was always, ALWAYS salt and pepper ribs and chicken broccoli with rice.

I figured it was actually a craving for salt - I was just coming out of the liquids and into mushies and nothing was particularly salty. I had some poached smoked haddock, and that seemed to help! x

Me too. Been having lots of cravings a few weeks ago and mostly for things I don't like, for example I walked past Pizza Hut, and the smell made me really want one, Chinese takeaway, bacon sarnie. I didn't resolve my feelings as it was when I couldn't eat leading up to my stricture. The thought of them is repulsive now :(

Head hunger?

Distraction squad needed :)

mine a few weeks ago was baked beans - the fact that I've hated them since I was 5 made it very strange for me lol

Ah that's better when I know I'm not alone lol. I have just had some pate on a rice cake with some brown sauce on top (yuk and yum). I only managed half but it was vile enough to take away the craving :)
Sx

I craved donner kebab from been around 4 weeks out too. I'd only ever had one before when drunk an couldn't remember what it tasted like. My other half went out with some friends when I was 14 weeks out an one of them was staying at our house an brought one in. I had one string/piece of the meat an was so sick after. Glad I tried it as it killed the craving an confirmed to me why I will never have one again.

I have managed to resist (I was never in real danger of giving in) and now can't imagine anything more vile. Funny how my tastebuds are changing. Pre op I was addicted to cottage cheese and pineapple. Now it makes me urge just looking at the pot. Sx

I actually craved salad during the pre-op and immediately post op. My strongest craving was for a very unhealthy German suite, which I don't think is even sold here. I just ignored it, distracted myself and it left.

if its naughty, I'll make a healthy version at home. If its not, then I'll have it. And sometimes, if the healthy version doesn't satisfy and I'm still craving five days later I'll have a bit, BUT I am a ways out.

I'm not post op, but because I am trying to get into new habits, some cravings are kicking in - I do the 20 minute wait thing - If I still want it 20 mins after the craving started then I consider having some, if the craving has gone then I don't bother (obviously!!!) ... so far the only thing I have HAD to have is curry ... but then again I think I have an addiction to chilli... xxx

I'm not post op, but because I am trying to get into new habits, some cravings are kicking in - I do the 20 minute wait thing - If I still want it 20 mins after the craving started then I consider having some, if the craving has gone then I don't bother (obviously!!!) ... so far the only thing I have HAD to have is curry ... but then again I think I have an addiction to chilli... xxx
Again witch I would make some at home :) Curries can be made really healthily.

There's some fab recipes here:
A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Do we need to register on that site too, I tried my log-in for this site but it didn't work :)

Well thanks all and Yvessa what a fab idea to make my own version. I have a slimming world recipe for donner kebab made as a spicy lamb meatloaf and then sliced so in a few weeks when I am back on "real food" I'll have a go of that with some salad Sx

Back