• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

stressfull fill

serenitylove

just come back from having my fill and the dietician has really wound me up! after going thru my food intake she told me i didnt need one i had a long lecture telling me if i ate pasta or sandwichews at lunch time i wouldnt eat so much at night, now iv had sweetspot and its eased off so i wanted a very small fill to get it back she then said lets go to the nurse i stood my ground knowing what i needed but the lovely nurse said as soon as i said my restriction had eased no prob and popped me in 0.25 mls . iv never meet a person in the clinic befor like that i was told by my consultant not to eat pasta and she said i should be or sandwiches wtf! iv not ate bread since my first fill.

how many banders have been told to eat pasta out of intrest?

pasta i class as a danger food ive had to many problems with it so i now just dont have it now, my dietician said no bread what so ever as it challanges the band to much x

pasta i class as a danger food ive had to many problems with it so i now just dont have it now, my dietician said no bread what so ever as it challanges the band to much x

tbh liz my consultant said same iv never been so wound up i dont think she was used to working bariatric clinics as her advice wasnt good im glad i stood my ground but have never left clinic feeling like this thank god the fill nurse understood what i was talking about on a bright note iv lost well over 6 stone now since banding im really pleased with that i should have lost 7 by my years anniversary:)

Some people are so unhelpful and obstructive. Sounds like the dietitician was a patronising, unknowledgable piece of work!

Hi Serenity

no pasta, rice or bread (unless toasted) for at least 3 months then introduce with caution.

tbh, all of the above were things I used to be able to eat in huge amounts so I don't think I'll be returning to them again....if I can manage without them now and find better alternatives, I don't want to run the risk of overdoing 'bad' stuff again :(

S**t to what the dietician said...you know you best:mad: you did right to stand your ground!

yep I was also told no rice, pasta or bread unless well toasted too.

Some people still dont understand what our little pouches can take...sorry you had to deal with this stress.

just come back from having my fill and the dietician has really wound me up! after going thru my food intake she told me i didnt need one i had a long lecture telling me if i ate pasta or sandwichews at lunch time i wouldnt eat so much at night, now iv had sweetspot and its eased off so i wanted a very small fill to get it back she then said lets go to the nurse i stood my ground knowing what i needed but the lovely nurse said as soon as i said my restriction had eased no prob and popped me in 0.25 mls . iv never meet a person in the clinic befor like that i was told by my consultant not to eat pasta and she said i should be or sandwiches wtf! iv not ate bread since my first fill.

how many banders have been told to eat pasta out of intrest?
hi serenity dont let some idiot get you down (i bet she was a "narrow" person lol) your doing fab xxheather

I agree with Red 42, stay clear of it for at least 3 months...Im now post op of 18months and can eat pasta, but very carefully and really small portions!

hi just wanted to let you know spoke to my surgeon today as he did my fill he was explaining to me which makes sense as we loose the fat around where the band is it naturally makes it looser in time, so when you are on your right restriction it is natral to need a top up even if you are on your sweet spot i bet you was anoyed!! ps i have a 14ml band like you with a fill of 4.5ml put in today , can you remember what you had each fill time and the time frame inbetween them thanks alison x

I was told no bread, pasta or rice dried fruit etc as all glutionous and could get stuck and/or expand in stomach. Great weight loss Serenity x

iv decided im going to ring christine tomorow and ask what is weather i listen to consultant or dietician as im still rather miffed about the whole incident if i hadnt known myself and been nearly a yr post op i could have walked away without the fill that i needed

right.. after reading the replies.. just wanted to tell you what my dietician said to me last week..

(just to point out - its same person 2 bands Liz has also.. however...)

she asked what foods I'd been having so was totally honest with her, told her have been weighing my meals and only having certain amount and got told that wasnt necessary really as long as not over 1,500 cals a day, no more than 5g/100g fat per portion in anything.. I've always had problems with portion sizes since the band so found weighing - for me - was easier.. made sure didnt have too much of one thing.. so will continue because it does work for me..
I told her that I'd had small quantity of pasta (25g when cooked) which wasn't overcooked and had plenty of sauce.. also told her that I'd had small amount of rice with a home made curry.. I even told her that I'd managed half a small BROWN teacake/bun/bap and she asked how had I felt.. said I had felt ok, had no tightening, no 'balling' and hadnt been sick.. she asked had it filled me - and I said yes it had.. for 5 n half hrs..

Am not saying she was happy however she didn't have a go at me, she didn't cause a hoo-ha..
in fact her exact words were - and I quote
' You could be one of the luckier ones who can tolerate so if you can't give bread up totally, being careful and only having brown bread if you have to then ok but if at any point you do feel anything not quite right, cut it out completely. Thats why it says in the booklet you were given that they are CAUTION foods and some people do choose to cut them out completley so just be careful and don't overdo it'

I have no intention of pushing my band, I know how it feels when get to 'point' and have always based my meals at that.. I dont eat pasta/rice or bread much.. maybe once within 2 weeks for each of them.. the pasta is never overdone and always has a sauce.. nor is the rice overcooked (which is why it can be problematic as overcooked clags quicker) and 2 slices of bread, crust removed, brown, wholemeal and not granary used either as an open sandwich - so one slice on bottom and loaded with filling and the other as a slice of toast, crust removed and lemon curd on instead of butter.. and of course, plenty of fluids..

I have 1/3rd protein, 1/2 of veg and 1/6th of potato most meals - which is what dietician confirmed is fine..

PLEASE BE FULLY AWARE EVERYONE -
I'm not in any way saying that ANYONE should ignore the advice that is given to them by either their dr or dietician.. am merely posting my experience..

I have just had my 2nd fill 2day, I am on liquids for the next few days, then on to mushies, then a balanced meal.

My doc said today, if I find I have a restriction, I should stay away from bread, pasta and rice. He has advised me quite a few time about these foods, he says that these foods may cause probs, they may not, but he dose advise to be carefull, this is because these foods can swell and can block the opening of the band. You should really have a word with you doc etc. Good Luck

i rang clinic today andwas told to either ring dieticians or go by consultants advice there is no way im trying any of the foods she suggested, and for those having pasta be really carefull with the cal content of sauces if shop bought they can be loaded. im looking ast it now that iv had great weightloss so why bugger it up and risk it by eating foods that are questionable, pasta has no nutritional content worth having the best it will do is fill me up but im back to my sweetspot so it not like im overeating anyways .

Back