• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

struggling to eat and drink 4 weeks post op

tink75

Hi all, after not eating in hospital I am really struggling to eat and drink - just wondering if anyone else was like this. Whatever i do eat/drink grumbles all the way down. What did people do to get past this awful stage - I could quite happily not eat or drink anything and i literally have to force my self to have ANYTHING. Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!

Hiya tink,

Try to have things like soups and protein drinks so you are getting calories and liquids in one go. Yoghurts, milky coffee etc are good too. The important thing is to deal with this now and not let it carry on as it will get harder and harder to get back on track.

That is sound advice from Shel. You need to get your fluids in, it is actually so important that you could end up dehydrated if you don't get fluids in which could end you back in hospital. Try drinks at different temps, like a hot tea/coffee made very milky or a ice lolly. You need to be sip, sip, sipping every few minutes all day long. See if making it hot or cold helps you gey more in. Also make sure you are getting protein in, like protein drinks, milk, yogurts thinned with milk, strained or clear soup. Even sugar free jellies count as fluid. It is not about 'wanting' to drink or eat at this stage it is about NEED, don't hinder your recovery and overall health by dehydrating yourself. If nothing but water will go down at least you are hydrated. Give the suggestions a whirl and then let us know how you are doing.

;)Nic

I agree with Shel and Nic, you need to force yourself, but just up to before the point you think you might be sick. I am making sure I get enough protein in despite the fact that it might be too many calories at the moment. The protein helps you mend and that is one of the main objects of the 1st couple of weeks.

Good luck Tink,
John xx

sorted with the eating and still struggling with the drinking but had my review with surgen yesterday and he said most people struggle and just to keep plodding on and it will come - i feel on topoff the world at the moment - excellent weight loss and starting to move about and become more active!!!!!!

Well done with the eating Tink, the drinking is difficult and I struggle with that as well. The more active you are the better you will feel. So pleased for you and you sound positive as always.

John xx

I am 4 weeks post op now

I am going through the exact same thing right now. I hate drinking!!!! I want to drink so bad because I am so thirsty...but it hurts so bad to drink. The burning pain in my chest....it just doesn't feel worth it. But it is one of those neccesary evils. Does that pain ever go away? Will we be able to drink a glass of water without being in agony?

Then there is the food. I have eaten too fast and ofcourse ended up forcing it back up. Not really vomiting ...just pushing it back up. I thought slime was a lapband thing???? I have been finding myself bringing up this frothy , slimey stuff. What is up with that?

different to the problems i had been having - i would def recommend that you ring your surgical team and just ask for their advice - I have only ever been sick twice and wouldn't take any chances - better to be safe than sorry - let me know how you get on and good luck x

Back