• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

not feeling great

perkyprincess

hi all,

after some advice. i seem to be really struggling. im 4 weeks out of my bypass and im constantly tired. i never seem to feel hungry and all i wanna do is drink all the time but i know i need to eat. i cant get my head round things at the mo and i just feel so down. im happy that im losing weight but cant shake this feeling of im not doing stuff right.

Your body has been through a major trauma and your brain is having to get used to a completely new way of dealing with emotional stuff. It's not uncommon to feel very low in the first few weeks after bypass surgery, if not any major surgery for that matter.
It's great that you're losing weight but you really need to get your head around eating some sloppy food too. What stage does your surgeon have you on at this point? Is it puree? Perhaps you should write down a menu for tomorrow and the times you intend to eat and try to stick to it. Your body is healing and it is vital that you get those nutrients in. Lack of food will make you feel even more depressed and the longer you go without eating the less hungry you feel as your body shuts down and goes into starvation mode. So please please try to eat something.

I always find after surgery I get the blues and that makes me tired and want to go in a corner and cry for no reason. Also your body has a lot of healing to do so it is very busy doing the behind scenes mending

give it a few more weeks and you will be feeling much better in yourself

Jo
xx

:)Hi PP,
I can relate to how tired you're feeling post-op-
-I needed afternoon naps at 8=9 weeks post-op
so was lucky enough to be able to have them;)

With regard to just wanting to drink-that's probably ok if what you drink has some protein in it
best ring your provider/dietician & ask them what would be best to drink at your stage
Good luck,
Juliex

Very sorry you are not feeling well and as others have said your body has gone through a lot of trauma and it is very common to have the blues after such a big operation.

As yorkiegal has explained when you are not eating your body goes into ketosis and feelings of hunger disappear which would explain your lack of appetite.

Protein is very important in your diet for healing...as Poppet has said...you do need to contact your provider/dietician & ask them what would be best to drink at your stage now.

If you start a food diary perhaps others can help you out with it and it might help you to keep your focus and to know that you are not alone and have support from all here:hug99:

Sending mega (((HUGS))) and hope you will be feeling better soon.

thank you everyone im just really frustrated i have waited so long for this fantastic op and now im stuck i just wanna do well. i will call the dieticain tomorrow and see if she can help me.

I think we tend to compare ourselves to others and how they have done and this can lead to feelings of not doing as well, but everyone is so very different and I hope tomorrow your dietician can give you the reassurance and the guidance you need just now to help you move forward.

Try not to worry, I am sure it will be all sorted out soon. Please let us know how you get on.

For once i am really pleased to see someone post op saying they are drinking plenty and not listing their food intake. Food is IMPORTANT but so are your fluids....

Ring your provider and see what they suggest you can have fluid wise to boost your protein intake, at the same time try and start to incorporate a little something, maybe some yoghurt or lump free soup into your day. Little bits and often are good. Your appetite needs tempting to come out now, it is not good not to eat.

As for the tiredness, when i got to 4 weeks i was thinking i'd be heading back to work when a wave of exhaustion just jumped on me and i was off for a further 3 weeks.

You have to remember three things:

1. You are still very early post major surgery.
2. Your body is healing.

And lastly.... You are not blooming superwoman, lay back, put your feet up and take a nap when you can if you need it!!!!

Now be kind to yourself, because you are so going to succeed and in a year you will not recognise your old self xx

Back