• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sudden gain!

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Well in a couple of months I'll be 4 years post op. I thought I had maintaining cracked after 3 years of fighting chronic malabsorption.

Over the last month I've very suddenly piled on weight. My size 12 jeans were loose one week, them tight the next. It was totm and I usually bloat so thought nothing of it. Picked up a pair of size 14s for use during my period. Except the bloating didn't disappear! So now I'm stuck in size 14s (although they feel loose) and feeling podgy. Alot of my dresses don't fit on the bust, my skirts don't fit, so I know I've gained weight. I don't have scales anymore as I tend towards obsession.

I think part of the problem is the high fat/cal foods I introduced to help with the CM have become the norm. But I think there could be a medical reason though as it has been so sudden, and I've started having hot flushes, which I've never had and am only 32.

So now it's crack down time. Hubby's cholesterol is slightly up again and we would all benefit from eating healthier. So it's out with the crisps, sweets, full fat butter, big lattes, and simple carbs. In with the skimmed milk, salad, veggies, protein and complex carbs.

I want to address this now, before 3-4 months have passed and I need to lose 3 stone instead of 7-10lbs. I've seen post oppers gradually gain and gain and gain with their heads in denial and when they do see what's happening it's an overwhelming amount to lose.

I've started using myfitnesspal again, fingers crossed it goes as quickly as it came.

Just goes to show complacency is our worst enemy, alongside haribo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

What a head trip!!! Good luck with healthacising (lol!) you whole household xxx

They do say four to five yrs post op is the danger time for regain. Personally I would rather obsess and get on the scales every day for the rest of my life, than bury my head in the sand until I'd put on enough weight for my clothes all to feel tight. That's just me. I'd rather deal with one pound gain than ten.

Bad habits are easy to get into again. Possibly complacency has set in with you? I don't know, I'm just surmising. I would never feel confident enough to eat full fat anything, or crisps and sweets in large quantities. That's how I got fat in the first place. Even when I was fat and (at least on paper) trying to lose, I'd have low fat everything, along with my large portion sizes and bars and bars of chocolate that I was in denial about.

I have to say I think healthy eating the way you describe what you have reintroduced, has got to be a better long term option for yours and your husband's health and reduced risk of stroke and heart attacks. You're young, but young people aren't immune to this sort of health issue. My husband is 68 and I'm nearly 64, and I feed him healthy nutritious food, low sugar as he's diabetic, and as little in the way of high GI carbs as I can. Plus lots of vitamins, omega 3 and any supplement that says it lowers cholesterol. I want him around as long as I can have him! and none of us are immortal.

Ruthiep said:
They do say four to five yrs post op is the danger time for regain. Personally I would rather obsess and get on the scales every day for the rest of my life, than bury my head in the sand until I'd put on enough weight for my clothes all to feel tight. That's just me. I'd rather deal with one pound gain than ten.

Bad habits are easy to get into again. Possibly complacency has set in with you? I don't know, I'm just surmising. I would never feel confident enough to eat full fat anything, or crisps and sweets in large quantities. That's how I got fat in the first place. Even when I was fat and (at least on paper) trying to lose, I'd have low fat everything, along with my large portion sizes and bars and bars of chocolate that I was in denial about.

I have to say I think healthy eating the way you describe what you have reintroduced, has got to be a better long term option for yours and your husband's health and reduced risk of stroke and heart attacks. You're young, but young people aren't immune to this sort of health issue. My husband is 68 and I'm nearly 64, and I feed him healthy nutritious food, low sugar as he's diabetic, and as little in the way of high GI carbs as I can. Plus lots of vitamins, omega 3 and any supplement that says it lowers cholesterol. I want him around as long as I can have him! and none of us are immortal.

She had to eat that stuff due to chronic malabsorption as she was going way under weight. So the doctors advised it to stay at a healthy weight xxx

Yes Shell will have to find a balance now to keep the weight down but nutrition up,best of luck hun it must be hard to come off all the calorific stuff you had to eat to stay healthy.Maz x

What a shocker, Shell :eek: just goes to show you can't do right for doing wrong :( At least you know what to do to rectify it, honey :) Will stopping all the high fat foods throw you back into malabsorption, do you think. I would do this with your doctors guidance so he can keep an eye on your bloods etc. Good luck, chick ... you will soon be back in your size 12's :) xxx

Good luck Shell in turning the slight gain into a loss. It just goes to show that we can all get caught out no matter how far out we've come. At least you know what to do have caught it early & are determined to get back those few pounds needing to come off & back to the well maintained balance you've had despite the added challenge of your chronic malabsorption. Good luck hub & thanks for being so open with the rest of us a timely warning so we to stay aware.

She had to eat that stuff due to chronic malabsorption as she was going way under weight. So the doctors advised it to stay at a healthy weight xxx

Oh I see, sorry. I didn't realize what CM stood for.

Ruthiep said:

You wouldn't without being told chick :) xxx

Ruthiep said:

Sorry, I'd referred to the malabsorption early in the post and as I'm a lazy typer I abbreviated it later on.

My bloods are regularly monitored anyway due to other health problems, and recent episodes of anaemia and vitamin d deficiency.

I understand for some people daily/weekly weighing is what works but for me it's a problem. I find seeing the numbers go down addictive and have anorexic tendencies if I'm not careful. I have body dysmorphia problems and have to use my clothes for gains and my nagging friends for losses. Friends are quick to point out when I get to the gaunt stage but not so quick with the gains ;)

I won't let you down Shel, I'm a friend who will tell you ...get started and control that gain because I need you to as you are, and have always been, my wls guru and inspiration and as you know I am having to do the same (7lbs gone so far). Its extra hard for you because of the CM and other medical problems but I know you are so good at this you will get the job done. Scales are not for you I understand that but your jeans will let you know as you start to lose.

M

Cheers M x it will soon be gone! Using myfitnesspal I'm aiming for 1400-1500 cals/day which is a massive decrease from the 3000+ I was having. Listening to the tum more too as I was having to graze and that became the norm, it's been strange re-learning to listen to genuine hunger (rare for me) and eating out of habit. It's the old want/need debate. Am currently sat in a leisure centre gallery while ds1 is at a pool party, do I want a treat from the vending machine? Yes! Do I need it? No!

I wanted to do this thread as part of the psychological process for me, admitting it to others.

At least you've noticed the problem early on and are tackling it - good for you hun. I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time x

As I said earlier well done for realising the problem, facing it, talking about it & dealing with it. I'm sure you'll soon be back to your regular target weight. Thank you again for your openness & I agree for many of us you are a great person guiding us through the pitfalls on this journey.

shelbell said:
Well in a couple of months I'll be 4 years post op. I thought I had maintaining cracked after 3 years of fighting chronic malabsorption.

Over the last month I've very suddenly piled on weight. My size 12 jeans were loose one week, them tight the next. It was totm and I usually bloat so thought nothing of it. Picked up a pair of size 14s for use during my period. Except the bloating didn't disappear! So now I'm stuck in size 14s (although they feel loose) and feeling podgy. Alot of my dresses don't fit on the bust, my skirts don't fit, so I know I've gained weight. I don't have scales anymore as I tend towards obsession.

I think part of the problem is the high fat/cal foods I introduced to help with the CM have become the norm. But I think there could be a medical reason though as it has been so sudden, and I've started having hot flushes, which I've never had and am only 32.

So now it's crack down time. Hubby's cholesterol is slightly up again and we would all benefit from eating healthier. So it's out with the crisps, sweets, full fat butter, big lattes, and simple carbs. In with the skimmed milk, salad, veggies, protein and complex carbs.

I want to address this now, before 3-4 months have passed and I need to lose 3 stone instead of 7-10lbs. I've seen post oppers gradually gain and gain and gain with their heads in denial and when they do see what's happening it's an overwhelming amount to lose.

I've started using myfitnesspal again, fingers crossed it goes as quickly as it came.

Just goes to show complacency is our worst enemy, alongside haribo.

Me too, mines five years in and I've gained 10lbs. Normally it goes on its own, I've had gains but could always count on losing it again due to the malabsorption. It's not happening this time and I'm not overly worried but I'm starting swimming again Tuesday and going to increase protein and cut out the crap!

It's my birthday tomorrow and I still have to pinch myself when I remember how many unhappy overweight ones I had!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I see a thread full of long term inspiration and honesty. I love it! Thank you Shell and co :D xxx

You ladies are the"sensible heads of experience" on this forum....you don't post the sometimes just placating "it'll be fine" response but offer sound advice with what appears to be genuine concern.

To hear that you too have these daily struggles with our own mind games, makes me realise that although the early days are fairly easy to lose weight, its the long term plan and lifestyle that will always have to be watched.

Once again you have helped me enormously, I know that you will soon be back to the size you want to be, as your dedication to making this work for you is as always there.

Good luck and better press those size 12's as you'll be in them in no time :)

Sorry, I'd referred to the malabsorption early in the post and as I'm a lazy typer I abbreviated it later on.

My bloods are regularly monitored anyway due to other health problems, and recent episodes of anaemia and vitamin d deficiency.

I understand for some people daily/weekly weighing is what works but for me it's a problem. I find seeing the numbers go down addictive and have anorexic tendencies if I'm not careful. I have body dysmorphia problems and have to use my clothes for gains and my nagging friends for losses. Friends are quick to point out when I get to the gaunt stage but not so quick with the gains ;)

Shell please don't feel the need to apologise to sanctimonious six month out experts who are so desperate to show how great they are they only read what they want to read

You've always been one of my inspirations on here and I know how difficult it is to put the brakes on weight loss and have to go against all we know is right in having to eat somewhat badly in an effort to maintain or even gain weight. I know how hard it is to actually do it when you've been told to eat more or eat higher fat/calorie foods, when you've spent a couple of years avoiding them like the plague

You'll sort this I know you will because it's what you do, good luck honey xxx

Oh no don't make me iron, I haven't ironed anything in atleast 3 years! Don't believe in ironing.

We all have issues with food, otherwise we wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place. If we didn't have some sort of issue then conventional diets would have been enough. The surgery fixes our stomach, we're responsible for our heads ourselves.

I'm fortunate that I've never been an emotional eater. From what i've seen that is one of the biggest hurdles to get over.

Karl, play nice ;) thank you, I'm feeling very positive that I can sort it out without too much trouble. I enjoy healthy meals, and I don't feel hunger, so i should be fine. How are you getting on?

Back