• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgeon in Norfolk?

alliecat

frustrated bander!
Hi all,

This is the first time I have posted on this site, but I have been hanging around reading other peoples for a while now.

I have been considering WLS for some time, and the more I read, the more I think it is a good option for me. I am 35 and have been overweight for at least 20 years - I was a size 24 when I left school at 16. Been there and tried every diet going, lose a few stone and then put it all back on again. I am now 18stone 2 at 5ft 6 and heading for my biggest ever. I can lose weight but keeping it off has always been a problem for me - guess I would not be on here otherwise!!

I have an appointment with my GP on May 21st and I am going to ask him to refer me to a surgeon- but I want to go armed with all the information I need. I am worried he may refuse thinking my head is not in the right place, as I was diagnosed with depression last year and am on anti-depressants, waiting for CBT, although the medication has got it under control and I feel much better now.

Can anyone give me a name for a good surgeon in Norfolk - I am going to try for NHS but will go private if need be.

Thanks for any advice in advance......

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Morning all! (if there is anyone there!)

Just had another totally random thought - if my GP will not refer me then I assume I will have to investigate other options - do you need a GP referral to go abroad for surgery??

I am not keen on this idea, I find it really scary and would worry about after-care, but again any recomendations (is that how you spell it?) would be great.

It is bypass I am interested in more than banding, but of course would be guided by the surgeon's opinion.

Thanks all :confused:

Morning Allicat

You need to really see what your gp says, but there is no harm in looking at all your other options......... I don't think you do need a referral if you go private..... but unsure as i am having mine on NHS.......

there is another forum called wls there are alot of people on ther who have been abroad have a look and read some of the threads....

Keeping fingers crossed for you

and WELCOME!!!!!!

Hi Mandy,

Thanks! Will have a look at the other site and see what I can find there as well.

Have been reading your posts as well - lots of luck to you - will be rooting for you. :)

Hi alliecat

When you see your gp he will ask what you have done to lose wieght. so you must be armed with lots of diets you have tried , if not he will try and make you start one. Just be stright to th epoint and say that you are so depressed now with the constant ups and downs that a operation is your only chance.

As for norfolk hospital as far as i know there isnt a NHS one only a bupa one near norwich.

The one that may be closest to you would be Luton and dunstable that where i went.
But i think they will give you a choice when the time comes.

No matter where you go they will grp the appoinments up so you get them all together and you go maybe 4 trips before the operation.

So getting back to the doctor part. make sure you let him know how strong you feel about wanting a operation and you know its not a easy way out, but you feel its the only way forward for you.
Tell him about the crying at night you have and the lack of motivation and not wanting to go out or meet anyone.

Do a web search of gastric bypasses and read. if you knwo what your talking about the doctor will know you have given it good thought.

All my thoughts

Mark

Try and private message icemoose, he had a tt operation in or near Norwich and he is a font of knowledge and information.
He may have some good advice.

Hi Alliecat

just wanted to wish you well, I don't know anything about WLS but would be nervous of going abroad and only consider that as a last opinion

Good luck :)

Thanks to you all for your kind words and advice - it is just reassuring knowing there are people out there who know how I feel and who want to try and help.

I have done loads of reading and research so am ready to present my case....just got to wait till the 21st to see my GP again!

Back