• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery and a 10 month old baby

clar01

Panicking now!! Surgery is very soon and my little boy has decided he likes to wake up a few times in the night, and because I'm not working it's me who gets up for him.
Oh has the week off after my surgery and my mum said she would help if needed but I'm panicking how I'm going to cope! I hate asking for help! He is so heavy now too!

Any ideas or even tips on making him sleep through the night again!!

Xxx

Hi are u feeding him something before he goes to bed.he could be waking because he's hungry.something like baby rice or ready brex or weetabix.

Sometimes babies like a bit of back ground noise like a radio or tv on low makes them feel like someone is there.

Are you breast feeding because it could just be comfort.so just going into him and leaving him in his cot but soothing him could help.

I am in same boat my daughter is nearly 10 months and still not sleeping through am worried about the first week or so and how quickly I will be feeling ok, when is your op? I have mine on Friday and due at the paralympics on Monday - might be too optimistic.....

My ops Thurs morning, coming out on Sat! Hoping for a miracle that little one will just settle easily!
Good look for your op! Let me know how you get on and I hope you make the Paralympics!

My boy has lots if milk before bed and also has his dinner quite late, so he's not hungry, think he is just in a bad habit the little monkey!

Xxx

Good luck for Thursday hope all goes well. Make most of the rest in hospital I am sure you will
Manage fine once home xx

Good luck to you both.

He may be picking up on your stress & worries pre-surgery. Outwardly you may have the coping face on but little ones pick up on our subconscious vibes & it may just be what's disturbing his sleep & yours. A little quiet, comfort & reassurance with as little stimulation as possible so he knows someone's there to protect & reassure him but just simple soothing and patting, back rubbing will hopefully send him back off. Hi by needs to do this as much as you so that while you're in hospital & immediately after you're home & not up to much yourself, no mummy isn't to disturbing for him.
He's to little to explain why & if he's well fed & topped up before bed it could be a noise that disturbs him or as I say picking up on emotions around him. Hope this helps & good luck with your op.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

yES i was wonderingthat, if he is sensing your worry bout the op so he is slightly stressed, the more you stress the more unsettled he will be, just try n stay calm lots of cuddles of reassurance before hand and accept all help, wether you are independent or not. Like Penelope said lots of back rubbing and patting, there are lots ofways to comfort without picking up. xx

Hi have three kids (9 yrs, 2 in nov and 3 in oct) and I was really worried about how I'd pick them up etc. I asked my consultant and he said that I could pick them up immediately as normal becuase the surgery is keyhole and doesn't cut through muscle.

As for sleep, and I'm not suggesting you drug your child, but do you remember calpol night? Well it used to be from 3 months then 2 years then they stopped selling it.

When my youngest was about six months I went to buy some Calpol Night and pharmacist explained that it had been withdrawn becuase some mothers in America had overdosed their children. Apparently they thought you could use full dosage of calpol during day and then full days dosage of calpol night during the night and overdosed babies on parcetamol.

You would think that its obvious that anyone is only allowed a certain amount of paracetamol during any 24 hour period but perhaps not!

Anyway the pharmasist explained that Calcold (age 6+) is actually exactly the same as Calpol night. She looked in her book and showed me the ingredients. She said she gives it to her baby (who was younger than mine).

As I still had an empty box of Calpol Night from 3 months at home (so I could remember dosage when they changed it to 2+) I purchased some Calcold and took it home.

Checked it out, it was exactly the same as my 3 month plus box and I called Calpol who said they couldn't advise me to give it to her but confirmed it hadn't changed its recipe adn the reason for upping the age limit was to confirm with EU.

Anyway, long story short, I have given my kids Calcold since before the age of 6 months, its great when they are poorly and has added effect of knocking them out.

If he's teething, and that might be why he's started waking up I would suggest trying it at bed time as it helped with mine.

Good luck x

Last edited:
PS if you want me to upload a picture of the box and ingredient list/dosage so you can check it yourself I'm more than happy to.

Back