• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery booked, should I postpone?

Kez6305

Hi, I’m booked for a gastric band 3rd October. We fly to Thailand from uk 20th October. I’ve since read a book given to me at the consultation regarding post op diet, swelling on longhaul flights etc. I’m now worried and am thinking about postponing my surgery til after my hols?
If you’ve had wls how did you feel 17days post wls?
Have you flown longhaul?
If you went away did you struggle to find suggested foods?
What do you suggest?

I'd phone you're team and ask their advice. I've read you shouldn't fly soon after having a gastric band, so you might need to cancel until you come back x

My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t fly long haul so soon, and after my bypass I would not have been fit enough so soon, it really is your choice but I definitely wouldn’t others may feel differently, try speaking to your team p. Good luck xx

Hi, I’m booked for a gastric band 3rd October. We fly to Thailand from uk 20th October. I’ve since read a book given to me at the consultation regarding post op diet, swelling on longhaul flights etc. I’m now worried and am thinking about postponing my surgery til after my hols?
If you’ve had wls how did you feel 17days post wls?
Have you flown longhaul?
If you went away did you struggle to find suggested foods?
What do you suggest?

Hiya Kez and welcome to the forum,

I had my band fitted on 16th July 2018 and 17 days post op I can honestly say I felt fine in myself. I was back to work but the scars had not healed. You will not be on regular diet still. You will be on a mushy diet at this point.

I flew for the first time since surgery last week and although it is only 2 hour flight to Menorca, it isnt the most comfortable experience.
The altitude makes the band inflate. You can't eat during the flight and you can't eat for up to 4 hours before the flight and with a long haul flight, and an already restricted diet, you are likely to be a lot tireder than you normally would be. There are also several complications you can come across post surgery mainly deep vain thrombosis. I'd speak with your surgeon before you make any decisions. xx

Back