• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

surgery change

Paula1975

Has anyone gone to gp and asked for referral for one type of wls and after the assessment has ended up having another form of wls. I want a band, but with the assessments(they did say at group meeting they try and stay with what you decided).

they said different types of surgery suits different types of eaters. i'm concerned i'll have wls that i did not want.

i know i definately want and need the surgery, but have been preparing myself for band.

its a long way off until i find out

I went into this thinking I wanted a band but am now having a bypass. It wasnt that anyone told me I had to, it was just recommended as the best route for me and the more research I did I came to the same conclusion. Everyone is different and although your Doctor can advise you ultimately it is your decision Good Luck with whatever you decide x

I too had the idea that i would have a bypass but the sleeve was recommeded and an explanation was given as to why this was the case. It all made sense to me and i'm going to go with the sleeve.
The way i look at it is that they are the professionals and know what they are talking about...i definitely think they know best when it comes to what procedure will give us the best results, just make sure to be honest with what type of eater you are x

In my case my GP recommended a Bypass but from what I have been told the final choice will be by me and the bariatric team looking after me, that said from what I have read on the forum I still want to go for the bypass option

BigDave

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I thought all I could have was the band and that the bypass was a much more serious and invasive op so had reasearched the band and didn't even look at the bypass. However when I went for my first appointment with the bariatric nurse and surgeon she explained about both types and said those who have a sweet tooth usually go for the bypass as you can't cheat with it, but with the band and a sweet tooth you can suck chocolate and eat ice-cream with no ill effects other than less weight loss, if you try that with the bypass you get the dumping effect ad feel pretty rough so you don't try that more than once or twice. So I went off and did my research and chose the bypass after being very honest with myself and now knowing the bypass can be done using the same laproscopic surgery as the band so now is so much easier and quicker to recover from. I hope my surgery is being done in the next few weeks after a slip up with the paperwork had to be sorted out. Pre-op Wednesday and then the pre-op diet after that and soon after the surgery, Bring it on.

i think , with the time before my assessments, to thouroughly look into the other options so i am thoroughly prepared just in case they feel another wls would be better for me

Years ago when i first asked for surgery i wanted a band, after discussing my habits honestly with the surgeon he told me a bypass would suit me better. I took his advice on board and although never had my surgery then, two years ago when i started my journey again i did ask for a bypass which the surgeon agreed to. On the day of the op he asked if i was sure i wouldn't rather have a band as i wasn't 'that bit' only almost 21stone but i stook with the bypass and am very pleased i did...

Go with what your consultant thinks will suit you and your lifestyle best x

I went thinking that i would have the band and my GP thought that was going to happen too, then when i had my initial assessment they went through all the different types of procedures and all the good and bad things about each of them, i was then sent round to see the surgeon and he said I dont think a band or bypass is the right choice for you because of xyz then said im happy to do the sleeve for you and what did i think; at this point i was a little unsure as i was worried after not researching it prior to the appointment, but i agreed and i can honestly say im glad i did i know i've had the right surgery for me.
Best advice i can give you is to look at each surgery and gather as much info as possible before going that way you can make the right choice and not feel pressured into making the choice.
Good luck on your journey xxx

I had decided due to the NHS waiting lists to have a Band privately, basically because that's the most I could afford, a year down the line and it hasnt worked for me.

Since speaking to other consultants they say that they would never suggested a band for me only a bypass.

That is oen of the problems with private hospitals as I said thats what I could afford they said ok and took the money !.

I wish I had waited for the NHS. Im now on the list for a bypass

I wish id thought more about my choices .

Back