• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confussed

minnieme62

I everyone i was referred for weight loss surgery in January 15 by my gp and my friend has just been for a gp appointment to also be referred but they referred her to tier 3 it's the same gp surgery so how come I was referred straight for wls and my friend has been put through to tier 3 I don't understand how they would do it totally different does anyone have any ideas thank you xx

Hi there

It could be if you have different starting BMI?
I think the current guidelines are that if you have BMI over 50 then you can be fast tracked straight on to the surgical pathway whereas BMI under 50 has to do the tier 3 first (unless there are certain other co-morbidities). This is from the NICE guidelines that GPs should follow.

I know this is how it works in my area, my starting BMI was over 50 and I was referred straight to the surgeon - it still took about 11 months from referral to surgery so wasn't quick but a lot faster than if I'd had to do tier 3 first.

Potter x

Hi there It could be if you have different starting BMI? I think the current guidelines are that if you have BMI over 50 then you can be fast tracked straight on to the surgical pathway whereas BMI under 50 has to do the tier 3 first (unless there are certain other co-morbidities). This is from the NICE guidelines that GPs should follow. I know this is how it works in my area, my starting BMI was over 50 and I was referred straight to the surgeon - it still took about 11 months from referral to surgery so wasn't quick but a lot faster than if I'd had to do tier 3 first. Potter x

Thank you for the reply strangely enough we have the same starting bmi with no co-morbs I'm almost at the point of surgery now how has your journey been xx

Local guidelines have changed and some dr surgeries change there's regularly. For example my bmi was over 63 and in January I was referred to tier three to start a six month multi disciplinary program. My friend with a bmi of 55 was referred by same dr to tier three in different county and she has diabetes. Another person who I know went straight in for surgery as soon as she had seen the dr. Between the different hospital systems they have different ways of working and change elements the drs where I am have to pay out of the surgerys budget for my surgery however I know some are direct from pct if this makes sense. Also I believe that if you have recently done various weight loss programmes then you get priority again changes depending on factors.

Back